Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

technical question for a story

Postby Linda » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:43 pm

Here is the problem:

We have a planet with a civilization about equivalent to earth at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century. So they have steam power and are starting on electricity and gasoline engines. There is telegraph (early radio). At least one native of this planet knows that aliens from other worlds exist - there was a limited first contact. And this person knows that a group of (good) aliens patrol their system to keep other (bad) aliens from exploiting them. The timing of these patrols is unknown. This native discovers that the (bad) aliens are back and wants to contact the (good) aliens to get help. How can the native send a distress message?

One idea I have been kicking around which seems more and more improbable: a large forest burn made in the shape of letters spelling out a message that can be seen from space.

Another suggestion someone had: block up the crater of an active volcano so that it explodes, bringing the (good) aliens close enough to investigate this natural disaster, so some sort of other signal can be made to encourage them to make contact.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Some of you will probably be asking what I have been smoking, LOL. Well, my brain just spontaneously combusts from time to time (from capacity overuse, or lack of use, or passed the expiration date) and that is the smoke you are seeing. So if you think a message can't be sent by this beleaguered planet, just tell me and I will arrange something obvious like a (bad) alien task force of military ships that the (good) aliens can't miss.

Thanks,
Linda
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Re: technical question for a story

Postby Alelou » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:31 pm

If this native is somehow already privileged to know all this, isn't it possible he or she might have some discreet ongoing way to contact/be contacted? Like, the captain just can't resist dropping in for a cuppa once in awhile?

But your last non-smoking version sounds very reasonable too.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:35 pm

Well, I COULD invent something like that, but since this was based on a canon episode which did not suggest any such contact arrangement, I'm kinda reluctant to do that. But, it is a good option that I did not think of... Better than the forest burn idea, LOL.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:41 pm

Mh...
I think an unexpected "natural" event could awake the interest of the aliens (good aliens).
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:57 pm

I think drawing some lines in the desert might be safer than possibly burning down a forest or causing a volcanic eruption.

I think he'd have more luck trying to transmit a telegraphic message into space by using a regular pattern the good aliens' computer might pick up on, but he would need to find a way to focus the signal (so a type of radio telescope capable of transmitting the signal, and a lot of electricity to make the signal strong enough to make it out of the atmosphere.

Of course no matter what he does, he'll probably draw the attention of the bad aliens as well.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:00 pm

^ In that case... like why not try to capture a bad alien and/or infiltrate into a bad alien ship and use their subspace transmission devices or whatever they got. :twisted:
ImageImage

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:07 pm

But ... and if was this planet not so evolved? :?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:07 pm

It would depend on how far the message had to travel and whether the good aliens would be expected to be looking at the planet and not outward while on patrol. I'm more inclined to like CX's suggestion than to have someone rely on crop circles or burning down the forest for communication. What you need is a really potent ham radio and an amplifier... or maybe a radio transmitter strong enough to reach orbit where the good aliens are patrolling. Perhaps the main character knows of such a transmitter... maybe scientists are working on one strong enough to cross continents... and your hero needs to enlist the help of one of the scientists to change the transmitter's direction for a few moments every day when no one else is transmitting to send a coded message into orbit... something that only the good aliens would recognise as anything but an accidental occurence.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:19 pm

I repeat...and if is this planet not so evolved?

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:23 pm

I'm not following what you're asking, Asso. Please clarify. :vulcan:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:40 pm

Linda wrote:Here is the problem:

We have a planet with a civilization about equivalent to earth at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century. So they have steam power and are starting on electricity and gasoline engines. There is telegraph (early radio). At least one native of this planet knows that aliens from other worlds exist - there was a limited first contact. And this person knows that a group of (good) aliens patrol their system to keep other (bad) aliens from exploiting them. The timing of these patrols is unknown. This native discovers that the (bad) aliens are back and wants to contact the (good) aliens to get help. How can the native send a distress message?

CX wrote:I think drawing some lines in the desert might be safer than possibly burning down a forest or causing a volcanic eruption.

I think he'd have more luck trying to transmit a telegraphic message into space by using a regular pattern the good aliens' computer might pick up on, but he would need to find a way to focus the signal (so a type of radio telescope capable of transmitting the signal, and a lot of electricity to make the signal strong enough to make it out of the atmosphere.

Of course no matter what he does, he'll probably draw the attention of the bad aliens as well.

Too evolved and too Human.
IMO it should be more naive.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:53 pm

I think Linda's actually working from a canon episode that shows this planet at a certain level of scientific development and very human-like. I don't think she made that part up, so she's stuck with it. Am I right, Linda?
Image sig by chrisis1033

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:56 pm

How is it too evolved? They have telegraphs, which can produce a recognizable repeatable signal. The trick would be producing a signal strong enough to escape the planet's atmosphere.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:58 pm

When I say "too human", I don't want to say not "human-like".
Anyway, you're right, Dis.
What do you want to mean, Linda?

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:01 am

Now I'm really trying to guess which episode this is and coming up blank...

I'm tired. I've never seen a client who could change the same things back and forth so many times.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “Other Trek”