Doesn't Vulcan be the native planet of the Vulcans?

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Doesn't Vulcan be the native planet of the Vulcans?

Postby Asso » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:22 pm

From Italian Wikipedia:
The planet Vulcan was colonized roughly 500,000 B.C. by settlers coming from Sargon.
I didn't find this on English Wikipedia.
I admit my ignorance.
Does that be true?
Because, in this case, a very great deal of things would be wrong in the canon. :?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Doesn't Vulcan be the native planet of the Vulcans?

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:42 pm

I don't know where they got that info from. But Sargon wasn't a world, it was a disembodied being (see entry at Memory Alpha) from the TOS episode Return to Tomorrow. The 500,000 years things seems to come from when Sargon and a few others survived a war.

But it does say that Sargon had hoped "that the descendants of the colonies that his race had sown throughout the galaxy would one day venture into space". But it's not clear if Humans or Vulcans are the products of this seeding. Spock theorized about it:

Another possibility came to light in 2268 with the discovery of Sargon and his people. When Sargon explained that his people colonized many worlds in the galaxy six million [that's an error, it should read 600,000] years ago, Spock theorized that Vulcan might have been such a colony world. According to Spock "that would tend to explain certain elements of Vulcan prehistory". (TOS: "Return to Tomorrow")
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:04 am

The idea of an ancient race seeding the galaxy with humanoid life is one I've read before. Didn't Usula LeGuin call hers the Hain? It's been a while...
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:38 pm

There is also the Preservers, which Star Trek trots out whenever they feel like pulling a Human based culture out of there butts for an episode. The Preservers supposedly make a habit of plucking groups of endangered cultures and species off their native worlds and dropping them hither and yon around the galaxy with gay abandon, for no particular reason.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:06 am

Well, if you are going to have all these humanoids all over the place with virtually no differences except forhead bumps...

Banner by JadziaKathryn

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:00 am

Then there was that dumb TNG episode where the great secret of the universe was that all races sprung from some other alien race. Not that anyone cared, since they resumed killing each other, or at least trying, with rapidity.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:07 am

I thought that was a good episode personally, and I rather enjoyed the exchange between the Romulan commander and Picard at the end of it, short and subtle though it was.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:42 pm

Well!
Anyway I find very fascinating the idea that Vulcans couldn't be native of Vulcan.
Probably that could cause a lot of inconsistencies regarding their evolution (difficult to think they could have developed a third eyelid, in this case).
But surely, if Humans too were coming from a common ancestor, their resemblance with Vulcans may be well explained.
Rather, this resemblance is so noteworthy, that one might believe the two races got separated not too much long ago.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:15 pm

500,000 years is enough time to evolve a third eyelid, don't you think, Black n' Blue?
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:32 pm

justTripn wrote:500,000 years is enough time to evolve a third eyelid, don't you think, Black n' Blue?

Honestly, I think it isn't enough. It's a fluttering an eyelash, on the sequence of the biological evolution.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:14 pm

Asso wrote:
justTripn wrote:500,000 years is enough time to evolve a third eyelid, don't you think, Black n' Blue?

Honestly, I think it isn't enough. It's a fluttering an eyelash, on the sequence of the biological evolution.

I thought that changes that give their posessors a distinct advantage in surviving to the point of having offspring that survive can spread throughout a population fairly quickly.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:25 pm

Third eyelid?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:31 pm

My impression is that "Vulcan Time" is slower than "Human Time".
And besides...
How long did camelopards with long neck have to live before they became predominant (and unique)?
Alelou wrote: I thought that changes that give their posessors a distinct advantage in surviving to the point of having offspring that survive can spread throughout a population fairly quickly.

This is a right idea, but probably (judging from some evidences), not exactly true.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:30 pm

Hmm. Last time I read about this it was called punctuational equilibrium, as proposed by the now-deceased Stephen Jay Gould, but that's an old theory now and I'm not sure everyone agreed with it then. But the guy definitely did point to fossil evidence.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:43 pm

Anyway the point is: if Vulcans came to their planet 5000,000 years ago, they should have noticed the discontinuity in their history.
Besides, paradoxically, Humans would be older than them.

Return to “Other Trek”