Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Most evil Star Trek moments

Postby TPoptarts » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:52 am

enterprikayak wrote:I press ctrl+C now and copy the text b4 I hit send, and then if I get cut off, I can paste it back. :bitch:

Heh I do the same thing
ImageImage

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:02 am

Occupational hazard of being chatty, I suppose. But how else is the world going to receive our hallowed wisdom? alas. :) (PS - Your free clinic sucks donkey balls, and I want to go and kick them in the donkey balls for you.)
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:08 am

I don't have any wisdom. :( And the free clinic is ignoring my email. :cry: :cry: But like I said everyone ignores me anyway. I'm just the wrong person to try to do something that matters. :( :cry: :( :cry:
ImageImage

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:03 pm

CX wrote:So, long story short, this comes from a writer's bible Roddenberry and one of his friends wrote up when they were still developing TMP, part of which lays out how the new humanity is supposedly super open about sex and relationships (think Brave New World) and don't really believe in marriage anymore. Just a prime example of why TNG sucked, especially the first two seasons of it.

I recall from the TMP novelization that Kirk had had a one-year marriage contract with a female admiral (she was the one that got killed in the transporter accident). But that fact thankfully never made it to the screen, so we can disregard it.

It also mentioned the "new humans" who preferred to let their individuality get sucked into different group consciousnesses. *shudders* Roddenberry did however admit that these "new humans" didn't make for good Starfleet officers, and that Starfleet needed the more "primitive" breed like Kirk. Thankfully this didn't translate onto the screen either. But I suppose it was one of those things that stayed in the back of Gene's head as he developed TNG and the 24th century "utopia".
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:25 pm

Sounds a lot like some of the new new age stuff (collective consciousness, etc), which when boiled down could make sense in the future, as we as a species streamline our older religions, and (as always) look for spirituality to justify our existence in this wacky universe. In any case, a pretty far-seeing idea for him, a guy who had just lived through the 30's, 40's and 50's.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:49 pm

Not really, after all, Brave New World was written in 1932 and a lot of his "utopian" ideas are pretty similiar to the humanity presented in that book - sexual promescuity encouraged, death trivialized (because apparently Roddenberry thought even a little kid should be just fine after his mother died, leaving him an orphin), and other things of that nature. There was even a section in there about wildlife reservations and how people could go there to live like indians if they wanted. :roll: I wished I could remember where this was posted online.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:14 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:It also mentioned the "new humans" who preferred to let their individuality get sucked into different group consciousnesses. *shudders*
Hmph. Who needs the Borg at that rate?

Actually, these robo-humans would think, "Sweet! Group consciousness on steroids! Assimilate me first!" :roll:
Last edited by JadziaKathryn on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:40 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:It also mentioned the "new humans" who preferred to let their individuality get sucked into different group consciousnesses. *shudders*

Hmph. Who needs the Borg at that rate?

Actually, these robo-humans would think, "Sweet! Group consciousness on steroids! Assimilate me first!" :roll:

Heh! That was actually my first thought way back when I first saw the Borg on TNG! :lol:

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:43 am

Ahem, there are only three REALLY evil moments to my mind. But they aren't actually moments:

Borg Overuse-Hey, you know how scary and creepy those Borg are? Lets show them getting their asses handed to them over and over again until they aren't scary any more and then give them a queen who also isn't that scary.

Wesley Crusher- Kirk would've killed the kid and had sex with the mom by the end of the season, further proof Picard was a wussy was that not only did Wesley survive but that he let him go off with a god like alien for tutoring.

Holo-Communicators- The Holodecks stories are almost always the lamest stories in Trek, the Viewscreens are the most reliable story devices...when you combine the two, they suck.

I would also like to say that Gene Roddenberry based much of his ideas on a concept called "Technocracy", a democracy of technology where technological advances have made much of our current society obsolete (marriage, money, religion). The thing about the Technocracy is that it's been largely disproven (machines might get better but humans are still shit heads) and that a society of Technocrats are, well, boring. Technocrats don't work, they don't actually debate anything, they're supposed to only pursue knowledge and artistic achievement but without the conflict of society I can't imagine how crappy their art must be. Notice all the really interesting people in Trek are delightfully unenlightened.

Basically the entire idea is Robert E. Howard's worst nightmare. Instead of a society that degenerates through decadance and corrpution, the Trek Universe gets more and more civilized thanks to technology and there for becomes weaker and weaker. Two Gun Bob would throw a fit.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:46 am

thecursor wrote: Notice all the really interesting people in Trek are delightfully unenlightened.
I don't know about that. Data was pretty enlightened but still interesting.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:53 am

Data represents the tension for something he needs.
That - if well done - makes a character very big.
As T'Pol.
On his own way, also Trip. And Malcolm.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:42 pm

I don't know who Two Gun Bob is, but I agree with almost everything you said. I much preferred Picard to Kirk, though.

Roddenberry's ideas about humanity really got in the way of TNG.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:54 pm

thecursor wrote:Technocrats don't work, they don't actually debate anything, they're supposed to only pursue knowledge and artistic achievement but without the conflict of society I can't imagine how crappy their art must be.

Which must be why they all read Shakespeare and play jazz... All the good art has already been made!

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:46 am

Which is why the Cardassians stomped their teeth in, and then walked all over them and made them flee in terror and abandon their own people to the tender mercy of the Cardassian empire, thereby focing them to form the Maquis. And then the Federation cowards jumped in and helped their enemies hunt down their enemies kill their own people, the Maquis, in order to bribe them into leaving the Federation alone. Which didn't work. And the Cardassian/Dominion alliance came within a cat whisker of eating the Federation alive until Sisko finally begged the Klingons into coming back to the alliance and saving their miserable asses.

The TNG/DS9 Federation gives me nausea.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:00 am

Alelou wrote:I don't know who Two Gun Bob is, but I agree with almost everything you said. I much preferred Picard to Kirk, though.

Roddenberry's ideas about humanity really got in the way of TNG.

Two Gun Bob is the nickname for Robert E. Howard, an early pioneer of sci-fi/fantasy from the 20s and 30s. He's better known as the creator of Conan the Barbarian but despite how that particular creation is viewed, he's actually considered to be one of the best authors of early fantasy and pioneered the Sword and Sorcery Genre (also called Low Fantasy). Howard's most fascinating concept was his belief that civilization ran contray to the natural state of man, to Howard our tall buildings and scientic achievement was just masking a growing perversion of the natural order.

In Howard's mind, the so called "Barbarians" of the world were superior to people who claimed to be enlightened. His favorite example was Rome, where centuries of civilized life lead to an eventual toppling of the social order by barbarian tribes like the Goths or the Huns. Naturally, this concept is more literary then scientific and it doesn't hold up well when examined under a microscope (also he and his good buddy HP Lovecraft were hideously racist and chauvinist so...I mean, that's something you have to recognize) But in terms of philosphy, it's the perfect anti-Trek: Where Roddenberry believes the world will only get better, Two Gun Bob only thinks it'll get worse.

Which must be why they all read Shakespeare and play jazz... All the good art has already been made!

I know! You mean to tell me there isn't one friggin' Heavy Metal fan on the Enterprise? Please don't tell me Worf didn't have Led Zepplin! I know Klingon's love Shakespeare (makes sense, it was all murder and death really) but you just know those guys must've made AC/DC honorary Klingons! Probably hung the Back in Black Album in the hall of heroes or something.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Return to “Other Trek”