Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Most evil Star Trek moments

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:11 am

I think holoprograms could be seen as a form of art.

There are days I look at what museums are displaying and think we've already reached a point where all the good art has already been made...

The weird things is that Klingon opera seems to be big. I kind of like that, though, because it keeps things interesting. You know, so much of Klingons became a bit cliche, so this was something that wasn't cliche. Still, I can absolutely see them finding some heavy metal and thinking, "This is perfect music to listen to en route to the next targ hunt! Or maybe background for my exercise program."

Hey! The BBS format just changed briefly when I previewed this!

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:50 am

Howard wasn't a racist. Not in his stories at least. Many of his characters were black, or oriental, or amerindian and were people of courage and intelligence. Granted, a lot of his *characters* were racists. And he was writing mostly in the 1920s and 30s. Considering his time period, I thought he was kinda enlightened. Not too many people would have had Conan ruling a kingdom alongside a black man as co-king in those days.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:08 am

blacknblue wrote:Which is why the Cardassians stomped their teeth in, and then walked all over them and made them flee in terror and abandon their own people to the tender mercy of the Cardassian empire, thereby focing them to form the Maquis. And then the Federation cowards jumped in and helped their enemies hunt down their enemies kill their own people, the Maquis, in order to bribe them into leaving the Federation alone. Which didn't work. And the Cardassian/Dominion alliance came within a cat whisker of eating the Federation alive until Sisko finally begged the Klingons into coming back to the alliance and saving their miserable asses.

The TNG/DS9 Federation gives me nausea.

Frankly I don't understand what Federation is exactly.
A coalition of races that search for a pacific evolution, together, helping each other? Mhh.
A sort of mutual aid in order to take everything under control? Mhh again...
A way for the "gentle" humans to explore (or perhaps "to dominate") the space? Is it possible that, in its own way, the "Human" Federation of RU is NOT so different from the Human Empire of MU?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:12 am

Hey, you callin' Captain Kirk an imperialist pig dog????

LOL.

If I knew I was existing in a space that contained the Klingon and Romulan Empires not to mention the occasional inexplicable attack from a species I've never heard of because of some temporal cold war I have no chance of even understanding, I'd make as many alliances as I could as quickly as I could.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:12 pm

Oh yes, this true. :)
But... who is at the helm? (and why?) :wink:
Hey, peraphs this could be an interesting plot for people capable of great afflatus.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:36 pm

blacknblue wrote:The TNG/DS9 Federation gives me nausea.

Indeed! I've never really liked the 24th century Federation. Something must have happened between Kirk's time and the later Trek era to make it so... nauseating!
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
blacknblue wrote:The TNG/DS9 Federation gives me nausea.

Indeed! I've never really liked the 24th century Federation. Something must have happened between Kirk's time and the later Trek era to make it so... nauseating!

Yes!
But... before?

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:31 pm

I think of it as just decadent. natural social evolution of a culture that has had its run, and is in the process of decaying. Like Rome, or any other empire that has passed its expansionist stage and is in the process of trying to hang onto what it has, just before it starts the inevitable slide into implosion and finally collapse.

Look at it. Is the Federation still expanding? Not really. Even when Bajor for instance wanted to join them, Sisko told them don't e do it, because we can't protect you. other races are not clamoring to join anymore, and there is no evidence that I recall that Picard or Sisko were actively engaged in recruiting new races for membership the way Kirk did. The Federation wasn't trying to grow anymore. It was happy with what it had.

Look at the culture. As many people pointed out, the culture seemed stagnant. Constantly looking backward at the great artistic and musical works fo the past. Also constantly talking about the great heroes of the past. Like Janeway on VOY mentioning to her crew members more than once about the heroes of pre-federation and early federations days "space must have seemed a lot bigger then" she said wistfully.

The 24th century reminds me of Nero's Rome. Rich, spoiled rotten, lazy, insular, decadent, getting softer every year, and ripe for a fall.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:36 pm

So, Kirk is an expansionist! :D
And then, don't forget Publius Aelius Hadrianus.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:46 pm

blacknblue wrote:The 24th century reminds me of Nero's Rome. Rich, spoiled rotten, lazy, insular, decadent, getting softer every year, and ripe for a fall.

And if you assume that each show reflects its own cultural roots in its contemporary American scene?
TOS -- Yay, let's spread the American Way throughout the universe -- and kiss all the girls! Who cares about unintended consequences?
TNG -- Aren't we smart following the prime directive? Aren't we so cool even when the rest of the universe isn't? But why do we need so much counseling? And why are we spending our free time on Super Television Holodeck Fantasies?
DS9 -- Oh man. The universe is a dark, dangerous, complicated place with scary politics, vicious enemies, crappy equipment and weird spiritual stuff going on.
Voyager -- Hey, this sucks. We just wanna go home again. Can we go home, please?
Enterprise -- Oh, looky, we're really in space! Oh crap, aliens keep attacking us. All right, now we're in it. Are we up to it?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “Other Trek”