Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Strange review I got on fanfiction.net

Postby Alelou » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:54 am

What a sick puppy.

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with, who started out such a nice guy and fairly good at his job although it did seem odd that he'd been so unfairly persecuted in all his previous jobs, according to him. Gradually he turned resentful and nutty and went on a campaign to harass the assistant. After he got fired he started sending evil emails full of lies about people. And making harrassing anonymous phone calls. (Well, some of that was before he got fired, thus the firing.) He'd spend an hour or two driving from public phone to public phone to call.

Sometimes I wonder whatever became of him. They just don't institutionalize nut jobs like they used to.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:49 am

Obviously, someone forgot their medication. I can empathize. It is easier to do than you might think. Poor soul...
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:08 pm

Actually this guy totally despised the idea of psychotherapy or medication, so unless someone forced it down his throat I doubt he ever did get help. But we can hope. Maybe he hit bottom and was forced to realize it wasn't just other people causing all his problems.

I'm just glad I don't live anywhere near him anymore.

Hmm. He was a big Star Trek fan...
Image.Image

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:13 pm

Unfortunately we don't seem to be able to take care of people with mental health problems very well. There is such a fine line between making a person do something for their own good and bullying them. If you restrain them physically by pulling them out of one of the phone booths where they are making their harassing phone calls from and take them to the doctor who forces medication down their throats - is that helping them or psychologically harming them even more? And we don't seem to be doing a very good of protecting people from those with these problems.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:18 pm

Speaking of mental health...

Last edited by CoffeeCat on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:21 pm

Linda wrote:Unfortunately we don't seem to be able to take care of people with mental health problems very well. There is such a fine line between making a person do something for their own good and bullying them. If you restrain them physically by pulling them out of one of the phone booths where they are making their harassing phone calls from and take them to the doctor who forces medication down their throats - is that helping them or psychologically harming them even more? And we don't seem to be doing a very good of protecting people from those with these problems.

Luckily Tarpea rock no longer exists.
But there's a great problem now for us.
What we have to do? :?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:28 pm

The so-called "rights" of the mentally ill get a lot of press in the US, but nobody wants to take the blame when somebody goes on a shooting spree. I think there should be more ways to restrain the mentally ill for their own protection and for the good of society. Unfortunately, if we did that then invariably someone would misuse said laws to remove inconvenient eccentrics, or simply to get rid of people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time and just SOUND crazy. Conspiracy theories, anyone?

Guess we'll have to put up with the crazies if we don't want Uncle Sam to put people in jail just because they make "antisocial" remarks in public.
Image sig by chrisis1033

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:36 pm

Alelou wrote:Actually this guy totally despised the idea of psychotherapy or medication, so unless someone forced it down his throat I doubt he ever did get help. But we can hope. Maybe he hit bottom and was forced to realize it wasn't just other people causing all his problems.

I'm just glad I don't live anywhere near him anymore.

Hmm. He was a big Star Trek fan...

Was he a scientologist? They're against that stuff.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:57 pm

:?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

pookha
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby pookha » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:21 pm

Distracted wrote:The so-called "rights" of the mentally ill get a lot of press in the US, but nobody wants to take the blame when somebody goes on a shooting spree. I think there should be more ways to restrain the mentally ill for their own protection and for the good of society. Unfortunately, if we did that then invariably someone would misuse said laws to remove inconvenient eccentrics, or simply to get rid of people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time and just SOUND crazy. Conspiracy theories, anyone?

Guess we'll have to put up with the crazies if we don't want Uncle Sam to put people in jail just because they make "antisocial" remarks in public.

the problem is society cant seem to reach a medium.
it went from it was to easy to have someone committed to being too hard to do so.

in the past parents could have children committed for all sorts or reasons that had nothing to do with real mental illness.
people were put through horrendous therapy for the wrong thing.
and the mental hospitals were often horrible places. far worse then even cuckoo nest.

but things went to far and a lot of the people who could benefit from a controlled decent envirornment no longer have long term access.

one problem is that a feature of some mental illness is that the illness tells them they are ok and dont need medication when they do.
others resist because they are given the wrong stuff and traces of their personality even the good stuff gets grayed out.

and there are some for whom the right medication just hasnt been discovered or it has become ineffective.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:50 am

Oh, this is a real hornet's nest. I had a suicidal alcoholic friend with multiple personality disorder who couldn't get decent in-patient treatment even when she made serious attempts that landed her in the emergency room time after time -- insurance didn't want to pay, of course. But then she was only a danger to herself and anybody on the road with her.

Our health system is a wreck.

Mr. Stalking Phonecaller was actually an unusually devout Catholic for a young man. I thought that was a sign of unusual spiritual health when I first got to know him. (That and the Star Trek of course.) Silly me!

I think Scientologists are so trained to drain their minds of any negative emotions with their freaky little bio-feedback sessions that they probably couldn't muster the animus required to drive around making anonymous phone calls unless someone higher up directed them to do it, in which case they'd be good little mindless soldiers. Besides, they have to save all their disposable income to spend on classes so they can attain the next level of zombieness.
Image.Image

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:06 am

I didn't want to open a can of worms with my question, I just know that that's one of the groups of people who don't believe in the health care system for the msot part. I feel about the same wasy as you do about them, but we wouldn't want them to shut down this website for saying anything critical about them so that's all I'll go into it. ;)

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:02 am

The real difficulty, IMO is that if a member of the family does to the extreme of having someone committed they lose control at that point.

If, for example, I had my wife committed because she got fed up with my online obsession and came after me with a broken coffee cup then I would lose the right to get her back out again. From that point forward she would be in the hands of the legal system and the personal opinions of some physicians who might have her best interests at heart, but who really don't know her.

So what do you do? Grit your teeth and hang on to hope? Or give up and hand them over to the All Mighty State not knowing if you will ever see them again as the people that they were?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:46 pm

Or you could try cutting back on the internet...
Image.Image

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:34 am

Why? I'M not the one with the problem. I can stop anytime I want...

Don't look at me that way.
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

Return to “Other Trek”