You know you're a Trek fan when . . .

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: You know you're a Trek fan when . . .

Postby justTripn » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:00 am

You are watching Big Bang Theory and Kuthrapali is remotely pointing a telescope in Hawii at Epsilon Eridani to look for planets and you know 1) they've already found planets around that star and 2) Vulcan is supposedly around that star (an inside joke for the nerds watching Big Bang theory).
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:08 am

Yessss! :lol:
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:01 pm

justTripn wrote:You are watching Big Bang Theory and Kuthrapali is remotely pointing a telescope in Hawii at Epsilon Eridani to look for planets and you know 1) they've already found planets around that star and 2) Vulcan is supposedly around that star (an inside joke for the nerds watching Big Bang theory).

Sorry to disprove you (or perhaps even Kuthrapali), but Vulcan is supposed to be in the star system of 40 Eridani, not Epsilon Eridani. In Home Trip mentions the distance to Vulcan to be 16 light years, which is the distance to 40 Eri. ε Eri is at a distance of 10.5 light years.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:51 pm

It funny, cause when he says that, it looks like it's his avatar talking, and she just looks so smug in that picture.

|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:27 am

LOL
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:41 am

enterprikayak wrote:It funny, cause when he says that, it looks like it's his avatar talking, and she just looks so smug in that picture.

:badgrin:

Sorry, I can't help being an insufferable know-it-all... :raspberry:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:49 am

Don't worry. I don't feel bad. I can still be an insufferable know it all about the astronomy part of it. :? I'm pretty sure. :?

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:07 pm

:lol:

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:10 pm

...you see someone you met once in 2006 and he immediately starts to gripe to you about how much the latest Star Trek movie sucked. He says that he knows you'll agree with him since he remembers that you're an old-school Trekker. :roll:

And you do agree with him because creating an alternate universe to avoid having to do research is just plain lazy. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:40 pm

Distracted wrote:...you see someone you met once in 2006 and he immediately starts to gripe to you about how much the latest Star Trek movie sucked. He says that he knows you'll agree with him since he remembers that you're an old-school Trekker. :roll:

And you do agree with him because creating an alternate universe to avoid having to do research is just plain lazy. 8)

...you read the above and, having watched the director's commentary twice of the new ST movie, can tlel you that they didn't do it to avoid research, but to "revitalize" the franchise by giving it a more Star Wars-esque pacing... but, then again, I think I'm one of the few "old school" Trekkies who's actually enmoured with the new movie.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:46 am

Oh, oh, oh, you missed our wars about this when the movie came out.

There's a poll somewhere...
Image.Image

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:43 am

Alelou wrote:Oh, oh, oh, you missed our wars about this when the movie came out.

There's a poll somewhere...

Personally, I don;t see what the big deal is. Sure, I was confused as anything until I realized, hell, there had to be an alternate universe involved, when I first saw it, but I love the movie. Proved by the point that, the movie came out on DVD just over a year ago and I've watched it, as best as we can determine, 42 times. Usually with a nap at the Delta Vega parts. But alternate realities and time travel are staples of Trek. This is no different then, oh, one of our mirrorverse or E2 stories. The only difference is that, after watching the director's commentaries, I don't think they'll "reset" the timeline in the movies.

They do, however, plan on returning Archer's dog in the last movie they make, whenever that may be.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:39 am

Well, I think most of us liked it, but quite a substantial minority didn't.

I saw it three times in the theater and thought the third time was one time too many (although since it was with JustTripn and Bether, I definitely enjoyed the company).

I have some pet peeves about that movie. The interior of the ship looking like a frickin' beer factory crossed with an IKEA store is a big one. Scotty being played by Simon Peg is another, not that I have anything against the man in general. (I'm a big fan of Sean of the Dead.) Starfleet's conveniently inexplicable strategic defense capability is another, but as Trekkies we're surely used to that. Otherwise, I think it is a lot of fun and I'm delighted to see the old franchise with some life in it. And I agree -- alternative universes are practically a cliche in Star Trek at this point, so introducing one is fair game.

I'd sure love to see a Tucker with blond hair and Vulcan ears show up in that fleet someday. Maybe even a really old T'Pol with better make-up than we got in E2.
Image.Image

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:42 am

It's going to be hard to find that thread becuase I think it's labeled "AHHH!!!! So what are you guys wearing to THE MOVIE!!!!" or something. lol The test of a great movie is are you still high on it a week later, walking around with your head in a cloud, humming the theme song? It passed that test.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:50 am

Alelou wrote:I have some pet peeves about that movie. The interior of the ship looking like a frickin' beer factory crossed with an IKEA store is a big one. Scotty being played by Simon Peg is another, not that I have anything against the man in general. (I'm a big fan of Sean of the Dead.) Starfleet's conveniently inexplicable strategic defense capability is another, but as Trekkies we're surely used to that. Otherwise, I think it is a lot of fun and I'm delighted to see the old franchise with some life in it. And I agree -- alternative universes are practically a cliche in Star Trek at this point, so introducing one is fair game.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree and all that, 'cause I liked the beer factory look. Made it look like a real, working ship. And I loved Simon Peg as Scotty... But, whatever. It's Trek, so it makes me happy...

justTripn wrote:It's going to be hard to find that thread becuase I think it's labeled "AHHH!!!! So what are you guys wearing to THE MOVIE!!!!" or something. lol The test of a great movie is are you still high on it a week later, walking around with your head in a cloud, humming the theme song? It passed that test.

The first time I saw the movie, it was like a 9pm showing with my mom and brother. We came home, high on the movie, and discovered that my sister had pulled on of her stunts, requring a few calls to poison control and me and mom staying up til 3am to make sure my sister didn't keel over or fall asleep or any of that. We ended up watching Mrs. Doubtfire. Remember very little of that movie, but was still on a Trek high the next morning. So, yea, test passed in my case too..

Return to “Other Trek”