Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Mitchell
Commander
Commander
Show On Map: No

Re: Human minimal viable population size

Postby Mitchell » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:47 pm

Distracted wrote:I would have to agree. The mechanics of setting up acceptably matched pairs would be pretty simple if one assumes the existence of a genome sequencer included within the colonists' medical supplies, but I would think that convincing the sceptics of the wisdom of choosing biological parents logically rather than randomly based on emotion would be the challenge. If they're conceiving the embryos in a lab and implanting them rather than going about it the old fashioned way, that might make it more acceptable. That way, couples could pair off however they wanted to for emotional reasons but conception would be a separate and regulated process. If two people wanted to be together but their chances for having a defective offspring were too high, then the woman could choose to bear and raise the child of someone else whose genes were compatible. No sex involved, and the couple would get their child. The medical staff would have to keep records of who was genetically related to whom, though, since you wouldn't be able to tell by the birth mother. Hmmm. There's some amazing story potential here.

That would go over easier, but their'd still be some stubburn folks out there. Ya know ones that want to have their children, an only their children. An I honestly wouldnt blame them. Not everyone has what it takes to raise another persons child.

:? Linda No offence ment,, but the Vahklas was a damn small ship. :vulcan:
It looked to be half the size, or less then the enterprise. I have a hard time imagining 200 souls being crammed onto that thing for even a short trip, let alone also have room for a shuttle onboard.

Must of been one crowded lil trip they had planned.
TnT I love em. Very Happy

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:13 am

Distracted wrote:Sounds fascinating. Maybe you could assume that the medical database has everyone's genomes already recorded, and so the computer can come up with pairs who would produce viable offspring without genetic defects.
I don't see why they'd bother storing the genome info of the humans who were only going to be on the ship for a short while.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:37 am

Maybe you could postulate that everyone's genome would automatically be included as part of their medical records when they emigrate to a colony world.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Zane Gray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Zane Gray » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:21 am

justTripn wrote:It sticks in my mind that in the bottleneck, was it 60,000 years ago, the population of humans was just 10,000? They were in East Africa.

I'll go google . . .

There may have been several human population bottlenecks. One was about 100,000 years ago, just as our ancestors began migrating out of Africa during the most brutal conditions of one of the last ice ages, and reduced the total fertile human population to between 2,000 and 10,000 individuals (estimates vary).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/prehistoric_lif ... tch1.shtml

Another happened around 71,000 years ago and was believed to be caused by the eruption of the Mt. Toba supervolcano, reducing humanity to about 15,000 individuals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/166869.stm

We're basically here on Earth by the skin of our teeth, and the human population even today is incredibly suceptible to climage stress. And given the rate of manmade climate change happening now, we could be in for tough times again.
Zane Gray

"I'll see you again after this Romulan business is finished. I promise."

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:18 pm

Gosh I am loving all these great contributions! Uh, I did address, perhaps in a glossing over way, the issue of the male Vulcan Pon Farr needs in the original story. But I want to give the story more depth and believability. It was called The Tides of Space and is on Soval's Annex, if anyone is interested. It needs a lot of work, but the scenario still excites me. It has been two years since I wrote it and I kinda cringe at parts now that I go back and look at it again. I am doing that with most of my earlier stories and am glad that my writing seems to have improved. If nothing else, I am fascinated by these concepts and want to improve all the hard and soft science of my stories. I am going to shamelessly use a lot of the ideas you all have given here (thanks so much and keep them coming, if you will!). It is great to have all this expertise among us. From the discussion it seems these are topics which interest all of us! Great! And I love all the dilemmas: technological and social that our stories have brought up. :thumbsup:
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Return to “Other Trek”