JJ Abram's U.S.S. Enterprise

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: JJ Abram's U.S.S. Enterprise

Postby CX » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:15 pm

If they have the actual script, I'd love to get my hands on a copy. I won't mind being spoiled for this anymore than I did for *the_abomination*.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Reanok » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:31 pm

When it comes to the movie script Paul McGillion said in an interview they had a guard there in the room to make sure no scripts left the building.When Paul read for his part in the movie he said they were really strict about that so no major story spoilers from the script was leaked to the internet. I can't remember who else in the cast mentioned this. I'll go to the movie probably just to see what changes are made between the old series and the rebooted movie franchise.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:34 pm

I will go to the movie no matter how bad it sounds like it would be. :| But I will only buy the DVD if I like the movie.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:49 pm

I'm fearful, but I'll do the same. :?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:45 pm

Quills wrote:The best (and most logical :vulcan: ) thing to do is to wait and then go see it, then decide. Of course, if you hold to any preconcieved expectations or prejudices, then the deck is stacked against you liking it.

Then so be it! I cannot help how I feel and I cannot will myself into thinking otherwise. I might be pleasantly surprised, but I think the chances of that are slim.

And I've never been that much into modern Trek. I was underwhelmed by TNG when that came. I watched if I could (it was on cable here in Sweden and I didn't always have that) but it in no way could capture what I felt when I saw TOS growing up. Then I caught Babylon 5 and it totally blew me away. That was a science fiction show to get excited about. VOY was even more underwhelming than TNG, but I watched it anyway (had to get my sci-fi fix someway). And I haven't watched DS9 until this past year since it never aired over here.

ENT was what got me excited about modern Trek again, even if it didn't start off as great as it could have (not to mention the lack luster season two). But season three and four... Wow!

So I haven't much invested in modern Trek. But TOS is a dear child and seeing it rebooted just feels wrong.
Last edited by Kevin Thomas Riley on Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:49 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote: ENT was what got me excited about modern Trek again, even if it didn't start off as great as it could have (not to mention the lack luster season two). But season three and four... Wow!

So I haven't much invested in modern Trek. But TOS is a dear child and seeing it rebooted just feels wrong.

What you said!
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:15 am

I'm curious to see what people would've thought of this design, which is much closer to the original design. It's not exactly what I was visualizing as far as what I'd do, but it's a good example of adding details while still maintaining the overall look.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:17 am

Interesting!

Quills
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Quills » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:23 am

CX wrote:I'm curious to see what people would've thought of this design, which is much closer to the original design. It's not exactly what I was visualizing as far as what I'd do, but it's a good example of adding details while still maintaining the overall look.

It's fine. I find it too close to the original design to be part of a reinvisioning movie. To be frank, we haven't seen the whole ship, so it's kinda hard to form a final opinion. The Abrams design has some really large nacelle's, which I am guessing will have some dome like covers over the fronts (but that is a guess). The saucer section looks a little smaller in realtion to the bridge decks, but that may just be the oversized letters along the saucer hull. Other than that, I'm ok with what I've seen and I'm withholding judgment until I see it complete.
Q
It ain't over until the Klingon in the front row strangles the fat lady singing!

HopefulRomantic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby HopefulRomantic » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:26 am

Quills wrote:Nothing endures but change.- Heraclitus

That reminds me of something Carl Sagan said a couple thousand years later: "In the cosmos, there is no refuge from change."

If Trek is going to keep going, it's gotta change and grow to excite a new generation of viewers. If it keeps it's core values, then the rest is just window dressing. I really think folks should try to keep an open mind and give these changes a chance. Otherwise, you're just setting yourself up for disapointment, and that's no fun. So, that is my take on the new movie.
Q

Quills, he is wise.

Another way to look at it is... Happiness = Reality ÷ Expectations.

I am looking forward to more Star Trek, rather than no more Star Trek. I wasted way too much energy angsting over spoilers during Season 4 of Enterprise (some of which were off the mark, and not worthy of hand-wringing). Now I shall be Phloxist, and enjoy the next year of anticipation. And get outta these threads again, while the gettin's good. :wink:

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:36 am

Thought of Heraclitus exactly was:

Panta rei

All flows

But... please think about this:

Never new under the sun!

Quills
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Quills » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:35 am

Asso wrote:Never new under the sun!

I think that's "nothing new under the sun." In any case, yes, everything is derivative, but it can still be entertaining.
Quills
It ain't over until the Klingon in the front row strangles the fat lady singing!

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:00 am

Quills wrote:It's fine. I find it too close to the original design to be part of a reinvisioning movie.

Except the point is to not be a "reinvisioned" movie. This should be TOS on the big screen instead of a reboot if they're going to do it.

To be frank, we haven't seen the whole ship, so it's kinda hard to form a final opinion.

We've seen enough to see that it is radically different from what the ship is supposed to look like during that era.

Quills
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Quills » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:38 am

CX wrote:
Quills wrote:It's fine. I find it too close to the original design to be part of a reinvisioning movie.

Except the point is to not be a "reinvisioned" movie. This should be TOS on the big screen instead of a reboot if they're going to do it.

To be frank, we haven't seen the whole ship, so it's kinda hard to form a final opinion.

We've seen enough to see that it is radically different from what the ship is supposed to look like during that era.

You may not care for a reinvisioning, but that's what they've chosen to do. So, if that is their choice, then a new ship seems appropriate. Otherwise, it's really not a reinvisioning. Also, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with a reinvisioning, except to those who don't want one. :)

As for seeing enough. Sorry, I'd like to see the completed ship in it's entirety before making a final judgment. I'll agree that it does have some differences, but we are also seeing the ship while it's under construction. As it stands, I don't hate it and I'd like to see the finished design.
Q

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:23 am

Linda wrote:I will go to the movie no matter how bad it sounds like it would be. :| But I will only buy the DVD if I like the movie.

Yup, me too. :D
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Return to “Other Trek”