JJ Abram's U.S.S. Enterprise

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: JJ Abram's U.S.S. Enterprise

Postby CX » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:08 pm

That would be the top of one of the nacelles, between those two fins.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:42 am

^ That would be some oddly shaped nacelles then! :?
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:15 am

They seem to be shaped similiar to the nacelles on Gabe's 1701, with the extra material above and behind the bussard collectors. Take a look at that front view again and you'll see the corresponding structures.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:39 am

I've only seen one TOS episode, but that didn't look like a TOS ship, which worries me about their concern for details. Now, I only saw the YouTube version, but that was probably the worst trailer I've ever seen. I could hardly see anything.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:13 am

That trailer is reminiscent of the opening to our favorite show. I'm hopeful.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Quills
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Quills » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:25 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Well, I'm a traditionalist and think they should have stuck by the original design.

Nothing endures but change.- Heraclitus
It ain't over until the Klingon in the front row strangles the fat lady singing!

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:35 am

Then they shouldn't have made a movie that took place in this era. If anything, Paramount should've jumped ahead a bit after NEM and started off with their own crew and ship, or heaven forbid, they could've done something to give DS9 a movie, if they wanted to exploit the franchise at all.

Quills
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Quills » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:40 am

CX wrote:Then they shouldn't have made a movie that took place in this era. If anything, Paramount should've jumped ahead a bit after NEM and started off with their own crew and ship, or heaven forbid, they could've done something to give DS9 a movie, if they wanted to exploit the franchise at all.

Paramount wants to make money off of the franchise and I can't argue with that perspective. To us, Trek holds a special place, near and dear to our heart. To the suits, it's a product, pure and simple. If turning Trek into a ship full of half naked co-eds was a guarantee for raking in huge profits, Paramount would do it.

In that respect, DS9 and the other spin offs don't hold the kind of marketability to launch major motion pictures. Yes, we'd love to see Enterprise made into a movie, but in all honesty, if I was an exec, I wouldn't green light it, no matter how much I liked the series. It just isn't marketable. As an exec, I would have to be realistic and do what was best for profitability and the franchise (in that order).

Contrary to what the fans might think, execs do tend to know what doesn't work. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that they know what does work. They've tried the new idea approach with TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. Each was less succesful than their predecessor. The idea of a post Nemesis movie just isn't exciting anyone. They've seen what new does, so now they want to try what has proven to have a better (but not guaranteed) chance of success: reinvisioning.

I know a lot of folks are going to be disappointed with this movie. But just remember, if you are one of those people, you are now the folks who had issues with TNG when it first aired 20 years ago (god that was a long time ago :explode: ). I'm quite certain the Enterprise-D design, costumes and characters raised more than a few eye brows from people used to TOS. Those folks predicted TNG would fail and that they would never watch it. Well, it didn't fail and as for not watching it, that was their loss, since a lot of it (but not all) was some damn fine science fiction.

If Trek is going to keep going, it's gotta change and grow to excite a new generation of viewers. If it keeps it's core values, then the rest is just window dressing. I really think folks should try to keep an open mind and give these changes a chance. Otherwise, you're just setting yourself up for disapointment, and that's no fun. So, that is my take on the new movie.
Q
It ain't over until the Klingon in the front row strangles the fat lady singing!

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:48 am

The problem is, that all the "new" stuff, is never actually new. DS9 was as great as it was because Ira Behr fought to keep its integrity. VOY and ENT tried to emulate TNG, because the suits saw TNG as successful. Strictly speaking of numbers, it was, but as they discovered, the formula that worked in the early '90s didn't keep working. Plus they just did a lot of stupid things. The movies suffered much the same problems, with NEM trying to emulate TWoK. Attempting a reboot, even if it's a soft one, is just one more example of being afraid to actually try anything new. They think they are safe because of the recognition of TOS among even non-fans, and because a reboot has worked for several franchises, most notably BSG. It may actually have some success, but even with my personal feelings about their cowardice aside, my gut tells me that this movie will fail, and in doing so do more harm than good.

Quills
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Quills » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:32 am

CX wrote:The problem is, that all the "new" stuff, is never actually new. DS9 was as great as it was because Ira Behr fought to keep its integrity. VOY and ENT tried to emulate TNG, because the suits saw TNG as successful. Strictly speaking of numbers, it was, but as they discovered, the formula that worked in the early '90s didn't keep working. Plus they just did a lot of stupid things. The movies suffered much the same problems, with NEM trying to emulate TWoK. Attempting a reboot, even if it's a soft one, is just one more example of being afraid to actually try anything new. They think they are safe because of the recognition of TOS among even non-fans, and because a reboot has worked for several franchises, most notably BSG. It may actually have some success, but even with my personal feelings about their cowardice aside, my gut tells me that this movie will fail, and in doing so do more harm than good.

Well, personally, I never thought DS9 was particularly interesting. I think it's safe to say that each Trek show's fanbase gets progressively smaller, but no less loyal. For me, Enterprise (season 4) was the best Trek since TNG (and I liked TNG better than TOS). I'm quite certain that I'm in a minority.

In any case, technically, nothing is new. The idea of creating a post Nemesis era movie isn't new since they have already tried "next generations" of Trek ships (and space stations). And although a reinvisioned movie is using old material, it's giving it a new look and fresh approach. Whether or not it's any good, only ticket sales will tell.

I do agree that they could totally scew themselves and have a complete bomb (and possibly put Trek to rest for good). However, any action they take could have that outcome. The best (and most logical :vulcan: ) thing to do is to wait and then go see it, then decide. Of course, if you hold to any preconcieved expectations or prejudices, then the deck is stacked against you liking it.
Q

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:12 am

In my opinion DS9 was the best of all the series. It's one fault was that it was ahead of its time.

And for "next generations", they could simply move things to another ship and a new crew ala DS9 and VOY, or they could take "next generation" more literally. After all, there was talk of a cartoon series along those lines (even if their proposals all sucked). Or they even could've done a "Lost Era" movie. After all, just looking at what they've done to the 1701, it looks like they really wanted to do something in that era anyway.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:58 am

Quills wrote:Well, personally, I never thought DS9 was particularly interesting. I think it's safe to say that each Trek show's fanbase gets progressively smaller, but no less loyal. For me, Enterprise (season 4) was the best Trek since TNG (and I liked TNG better than TOS). I'm quite certain that I'm in a minority.

Don't be too sure! :D
Wel... In any case we are at least two. :lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:40 pm

I liked all the series of ST. But DS9 was unique and had some of the very best episodes of any of the series. Actually, it is the one series that I have gone back and rewatched twice on my DVDs. All the other series, I have gone back and rewatched just once - except parts of ENT because I am writing stories just with its characters right now.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:51 pm

With the movies, you can't go too much farther into the future (beyond what we already saw) because DS9, Enterprise, and Voyager already introduced cutting edge technologies to shock us for the purposes of an episode: use of the transporter over distances of light years (Enterprise), Warp 10 (Voyager), those horrible temporal police (DS9), the mobile emitter (Voyager). If you go another generation into the future, presumably you have to start seeing some of these miracle technologies on a regular basis. It takes away the feeling of being out on the frontier, of infinite possibilities being around the next corner. So going backwards, relative to TOS, like for Enterprise series or for this new movie seems that best bet.

I see over at HoT, they are already analyzing the script. I think that is a sure way to ruin the movie for yourself. I don't want to know anymore than this teaser! I think it's exciting.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:58 pm

Yeah, see the movie first before getting a copy of the script and analyzing it! Wonder if this new movie will spark a new round of fan fics.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Return to “Other Trek”