Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Show On Map: No

Re: ENT universe stories (non TnT)

Postby hth2k » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:54 am

Perhaps both is a good track. The volume of new works has fallen as has the interest level for some/many. If this site continues to define itself narrowly the likelyhood is this trend will continue.

Setting up yet another site is no small pushuip. Getting it off the ground and gaining critical mass will take time and work. Foundations was promising but seems stalled after shutting down for the summer break. Triptofan also had a great start then stalled out as have others. This is apparently not uncommon.

Good luck with what ever TPTB choose.

I would be interested in reading new stuff as described. I also don't think TnT are played out as there are perhaps 40=50 years of stories left in Trip's lifespan and who knows beyond that with offspring, siblings and such.

The profusion of slash and noncanon hookups has severely limited my interest in either Ff or w5. It just gets real old wading through the same crap. If people want to exercise their particular perversions, why not put it in a separate catagory where they can have it if they wish and those that do not, do not. I really would not like to see what happened there continued either here or on CX's proposed site. No I don't mean RS or MS and such.

HtH

The above opinion does not necessarily reflect opinions of the ABA, NBC, CBS, NRA, AARP, ILGWA, NBA, NFL, AFC, or LPGA.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:00 am

I'm glad R/S would be allowed, because I like to pair them up as well as TnT, so I often end up with TnT as the primary focus, but R/S also. I like happily paired endings, especially in stories that take place post-ENT. :D

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:20 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:I can see no problem with what BnB is suggesting. The focus is still TnT. The only change would be adding another section like The Library at P'Jem.

Am I correct in assuming that it would only be ENT era stories, and not some general Trek? Personally, I think limiting it to a certain timeframe would be good. It could be quite generous anyway - say, the time period from the movie First Contact to TOS.

Agreed.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:21 am

hth2k wrote:The above opinion does not necessarily reflect opinions of the ABA, NBC, CBS, NRA, AARP, ILGWA, NBA, NFL, AFC, or LPGA.

NO, NO, NO, NO!
Non such a mess of acronyms!
Stop it! Please, stop it!
My life is submerged by acronyms! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:13 am

Yep. Medicine is a regular vegetable soup. I guess it's just as bad in Italian as it is in English. Hmmm... lemme see.

From AMA, AAFP, AAP, ACOG... to BTL, BCP, BID... to CAD, CPD, CHF... to DDAVP, DTR, DNR... to EEE, EIA, ECG....

Shall I go on? Guess not. I bet I could do the whole alphabet, though. We've even got "Q's" and "X's". I might have trouble with "Z", though. Hmmmmm.

I got it! The abbreviation for Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome is ZES!!! 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:35 am

Right offhand here are some story ideas I have had, that I didn't think there would be a place for at TriS (including some I already mentioned above):

- During the initial development phase of the Warp 5 engine, Section 31 steals the design of the Vulcan injectors. Story describes how and why this happens.

- Multiple stories possible describing reactions on both Earth and Vulcan to First Contact. Civilians, military, scientists, everyone would have their own unique viewpoint. A whole series could be written. Heck, it could even be a challenge series, with a bunch of people volunteering, each to pick up one aspect. One writer to explore the reaction of Human military establishment to First Contact with Vulcan. One writer to describe Vulcan High Command reaction to Human First Contact. One writer to describe Vulcan civilian reaction to Humans. One writer to... etc.

- An entire world full of Andorians are ripe for the plucking.

- An entire world full of Tellarites are ripe for the plucking.

- An entire world full of Denobulans are ripe for the plucking.

- Who are these Orions anyway?

- What was the Klingon Empire like back in those days? How did it grow to become the monstrous threat that it became in TOS times? How did the hostilities reach their deadly pinnacle? What happened to provoke things so severely? How many skirmishes occurred? Over what? Where and when?

- Romulans. Ah, Romulans. Let me count the ways...

- Boomers. How many stories can you tell about roving bands of independent free traders, isolated in the depths of space for generations?

And that is off the top of my head in the course of a few minutes.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:09 am

- What was the Klingon Empire like back in those days? How did it grow to become the monstrous threat that it became in TOS times? How did the hostilities reach their deadly pinnacle? What happened to provoke things so severely? How many skirmishes occurred? Over what? Where and when?

And what about the time of which they do not speak? When thay all looked like John Wayne made up to play Ghenghis Khan?
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:38 am

Distracted, I have only a reply.

:explode:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:50 pm

I put my stories on Library at P'Jem as much as the main part of Triax, because I like the minor Vulcan characters and I like to create OT characters, especially Vulcan ones. So I think we already have some latitude. But opening it up a little more is ok with me too.

I like the idea of CX's site too. I have a TNG/DS9 crossover story that I have not thought appropriate for Triax or Trip/T'Polers, which until a a month ago where the only sites I put stories on.

I am sad to hear that other Trek sites are dying, even though I don't go to them. I would, but I just don't have the time or the energy - its not lack of interest.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:35 pm

The way I'm going to handle crossover stories is to post them in all appropriate sections. So your fic would be in both the DS9 and the TNG sections. :)

Unfortunately, a lot of places are dying off due to lack of continued interest. Even TrekOnline, which was going strong for a while when we first split off from Nov-Net has effectively died and its members are going to be re-absorbed into Nov-Net again, and be featured alongside projects from other sci-fi universes. Apparently even those who didn't like ENT needed something to be on the small screen every week to keep their interest up, even if they didn't watch it. :?

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:53 pm

CX wrote:Unfortunately, a lot of places are dying off due to lack of continued interest. Even TrekOnline, which was going strong for a while when we first split off from Nov-Net has effectively died and its members are going to be re-absorbed into Nov-Net again, and be featured alongside projects from other sci-fi universes. Apparently even those who didn't like ENT needed something to be on the small screen every week to keep their interest up, even if they didn't watch it. :?

Sad, but true. :(
Actually, we need something capable of arousing interest. :?
So, Trip and T'Pol will be alive, forever. :D :D :D
(Sorry, sometimes I think I am really obsessed! :? )

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:05 pm

I talked to Elessar. He wants to maintain the Trip 'n T'Pol focus here but thinks that CX's plans are great. So do I. Now . . . . maybe I can write that Cogenitor story . . . NOooo!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:59 pm

CX wrote:Hopefully I'll be able to get my site up as planned, and then you'll have a place. ;) I've been wanting an alternative to FF.N for a while now, and since no one seems like they're going to make one, I guess I decided to do it. Key thing is that there's no slash or non-canon pairings (like A/T'P for example) allowed, so there'll be at least some quality control. I won't be reading each and every submission, nor will the volunteers I have read everything for their sections, but I'm counting on reader feedback if somehow something bad manages to get posted.

I really like this idea.

My apologies for not responding with all of the name-dropping of me that's been going on :D, I honestly didn't see it for awhile.

I would love to see a branching out where we (as writers and readers) begin to put together general Enterprise fan fiction as well.

As of right now, I don't see us integrating it into Triaxian Silk, primarily because the entire orientation and structure of the site is built around supporting either the pairing of, or the separate interest in, just Trip and T'Pol. It would be difficult to change the focus - sort of like a Harry Potter fandom site taking on general Fantasy fiction. But that doesn't mean I don't think it's a great idea and in fact a survival necessity for us as a fandom to create such a general Enterprise fan-fiction counterpart to TriS. And you sound excited to build your own site anyway, so I'm sure you don't mind when I say that :)

I, personally would be interested in another site such that it and TriS could kind of be yin and yang. Not competitors, but partners in recognition of serving similar purposes and by all means, an overlapping set of patrons and writers. I'd certainly join it and probably submit for it, because I've had plenty of ideas that are non-shippy but would enjoy writing, like an All-Malcolm Spy/Action thriller type of series.

I love the idea, I'd be behind you 100%, CX :thumbsup: .
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:00 pm

justTripn wrote:I talked to Elessar. He wants to maintain the Trip 'n T'Pol focus here but thinks that CX's plans are great. So do I. Now . . . . maybe I can write that Cogenitor story . . . NOooo!

hehe

I guess she covered for me :lol:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:29 pm

Elessar wrote: As of right now, I don't see us integrating it into Triaxian Silk, primarily because the entire orientation and structure of the site is built around supporting either the pairing of, or the separate interest in, just Trip and T'Pol. It would be difficult to change the focus - sort of like a Harry Potter fandom site taking on general Fantasy fiction. But that doesn't mean I don't think it's a great idea and in fact a survival necessity for us as a fandom to create such a general Enterprise fan-fiction counterpart to TriS. And you sound excited to build your own site anyway, so I'm sure you don't mind when I say that :)

I, personally would be interested in another site such that it and TriS could kind of be yin and yang. Not competitors, but partners in recognition of serving similar purposes and by all means, an overlapping set of patrons and writers. I'd certainly join it and probably submit for it, because I've had plenty of ideas that are non-shippy but would enjoy writing, like an All-Malcolm Spy/Action thriller type of series.

I love the idea, I'd be behind you 100%, CX :thumbsup: .

I totally agree. :D

Return to “Other Trek”