ENT universe stories (non TnT)

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

blacknblue
Site Admin

ENT universe stories (non TnT)

Postby blacknblue » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:24 am

This ties in with the recent collaboration that Dis and I have begun. I was wondering whether anyone (i.e. the site bigwigs) would be interested/approve of including non-Enterprise related stories on this site that happen to be set in the Enterprise time frame of the Trek universe.

We already have stories that only tie in with Enterprise in a peripheral way, like our Lerteiran Chronicles (although that will gradually change a bit in the future - "shh!"). But is there also room on this site for stories that don't really include Enterprise at all? Like a follow up on Shrans story after he lost the Kumari? Or even a completely OC story set on Earth, or Denobula?

Just wondered about the general opinion. Stories are still coming in. But if you check out some other Trek sites, they are dying. Without room for creativity to continue expanding, and with no new episodes being aired for the forseeable future, I am thinking that maybe we need to give ourselves plenty of creative elbow room and just turn ourselves loose to go wild.

Whatcha think? Yea? Nay? Shoot me?

FYI, being the bigoted purist that I am, I was hoping to keep the stories in compliance with established canon as much as possible. In other words, I was not advocating opening things up to blatantly non-canon pairings, or similar stuff that contradicts what was shown on screen.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: ENT universe stories (non TnT)

Postby CX » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:42 am

blacknblue wrote:This ties in with the recent collaboration that Dis and I have begun. I was wondering whether anyone (i.e. the site bigwigs) would be interested/approve of including non-Enterprise related stories on this site that happen to be set in the Enterprise time frame of the Trek universe.

I was actually going to do that with the new site I'm planning right now, though it would encompass all of Trek. What your describing would end up in the Original Works section with an ENT era tag on it. ;)

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:05 am

Sounds good. If John doesn't want it cluttering up TriS, I may have some crap to toss your way in a while.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:39 am

Honestly I think this site should be dedicated only to the stories including Trip and T'Pol. Nevertheless I understand the reasons that induce you, blacknblue, to speak in this way, and I personally agree.
It is definitely true (in my opinion) that it is the love story (well, maybe not only of love) between Trip and T'Pol the main propelling engine of ENT, at least from a certain point forward.
However the risk that their same story might be lost because it is lost the remainder of ENT, this risk really exists.
So, I advance a proposal.
It is possible to dedicate a special section for what suggest you? With a small limitation, however: that, on the background, someway, it is hovering the phantom of Trip and of T'Pol.
A little challenge! :D
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:07 pm

I like the branching out idea, but it's up to Elessar and if I understand correctly, he hopes to preserve the T'nT focus. Is that correct? I'm pleased to hear about CX's site, though. We can wander over there for general Enterprise/Star Trek and new people discovering Trip and T'Pol can do their thing here? With guidance from the old-timers.

We were getting alot of Europeans last year, discovering Enterprise for the first time. Has everything been aired/released now in Europe? We may have a problem in that case finding new "converts."
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:23 pm

justTripn wrote:I like the branching out idea, but it's up to Elessar and if I understand correctly, he hopes to preserve the T'nT focus. Is that correct? I'm pleased to hear about CX's site, though. We can wander over there for general Enterprise/Star Trek and new people discovering Trip and T'Pol can do their thing here? With guidance from the old-timers.

We were getting alot of Europeans last year, discovering Enterprise for the first time. Has everything been aired/released now in Europe? We may have a problem in that case finding new "converts."

You are right.
I, for example, was drawn here because of my heartbreak caused by the end of ENT (and, not last, in that infamous way). I was in the search of consolation. Maybe other people, European as I am, are in the same search. We should make them aware of us.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:46 pm

Setting aside a separate section was what I had in mind. Like the library at P'Jem. Or the old Soval's Annex at Trip/T'Poler's. Except that this section need not necessarily be confined strictly to Vulcans.

I was not by any means suggesting that TriS veer away from TnT. Don't misunderstand me, please.

I fear growing burnout and boredom. For example, Rigil, formerly one of our best and most prolific writers has left us. He says he has lost interest in the franchise. Maybe he will come back sometime. Maybe not. Over theyears many other good writers, some great writers, have also left for various reasons. I can't help but suspect that at least part of it is boredom and/or burnout. After all, no matter how much you enjoy a particular character or pairing, there are a limited number of stories that YOU PERSONALLY can tell about that character or that pairing. My latest story, Purgatory, is going to finish my TnT series just because I can't think of anything else. I am bogged down as it is because I am about to run dry of ideas.

But if we open things up, the possibilities become almost limitless. We have an entire Trek universe to play in.

For example. In my series I made passing reference to the injectors on Enterprise being patterned after a design stolen by Section 31 from the Vulcans. I would enjoy writing a story about that, telling how it happened and why Earth felt it necessary to go to that extreme. I think it would be fun to describe how they managed to pull it off. To my mind this would take place back back back about the time Trip and Archer were first meeting and stealing prototypes together, long before Enterprise was even built.

Say I write the story. Where do I post it? Nowhere on TriS. And I have given up trying to deal the roayal pain in the ass that is ff.net. So as it stands now I will probably never bother to write it - why should I if no one will ever read it?

Like I said above, I wonder what happened to Shran after he went back to Andoria. How did the Andorian guard treat him? How did his family and friends react? What kind of impact did losing his ship and crew have o him personally? But there is nowhere to post it except ff.net. *shudder*

What about the whole saga of First Contact? Suppose I wanted to write a story immediately post-First Contact? Where could I post it? The Library at P'Jem? But suppose there are no VUlcans in it? Suppose it is about an isolated group of war survivors, living in a refugee camp, and their reaction to the news?

You see what I am trying to say? There are limitless possibilities that are available that don't require TnT, and would give current and new writers plenty of room to keep writing without danger of burnout for a long time to come.
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:18 pm

Hopefully I'll be able to get my site up as planned, and then you'll have a place. ;) I've been wanting an alternative to FF.N for a while now, and since no one seems like they're going to make one, I guess I decided to do it. Key thing is that there's no slash or non-canon pairings (like A/T'P for example) allowed, so there'll be at least some quality control. I won't be reading each and every submission, nor will the volunteers I have read everything for their sections, but I'm counting on reader feedback if somehow something bad manages to get posted.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:30 pm

But could we have R/S?

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:03 pm

CX wrote:Hopefully I'll be able to get my site up as planned, and then you'll have a place. ;) I've been wanting an alternative to FF.N for a while now, and since no one seems like they're going to make one, I guess I decided to do it. Key thing is that there's no slash or non-canon pairings (like A/T'P for example) allowed, so there'll be at least some quality control. I won't be reading each and every submission, nor will the volunteers I have read everything for their sections, but I'm counting on reader feedback if somehow something bad manages to get posted.

Once you get it up, feel free to link to and/or copy any of my existing and posted work.
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:31 pm

I think that you, blacknblue, are not wrong.
But I have a fear.
This is the site of Trip and T'Pol .
And what is my fear?
That little by little this site can become another site!

blacknblue wrote:I fear growing burnout and boredom. For example, Rigil, formerly one of our best and most prolific writers has left us. He says he has lost interest in the franchise. Maybe he will come back sometime. Maybe not. Over theyears many other good writers, some great writers, have also left for various reasons. I can't help but suspect that at least part of it is boredom and/or burnout. After all, no matter how much you enjoy a particular character or pairing, there are a limited number of stories that YOU PERSONALLY can tell about that character or that pairing. My latest story, Purgatory, is going to finish my TnT series just because I can't think of anything else. I am bogged down as it is because I am about to run dry of ideas.

Personally I don't want to lose writers like you or like Rigil (however I no longer found anything even on his site ).
So, if in your fears there is something that may become true, I welcome the new section.
But the core (big core) of this site have to be Trip and T'Pol.
This is what I sought.
And this is what I found.
And I want.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:13 am

I can see no problem with what BnB is suggesting. The focus is still TnT. The only change would be adding another section like The Library at P'Jem.

Am I correct in assuming that it would only be ENT era stories, and not some general Trek? Personally, I think limiting it to a certain timeframe would be good. It could be quite generous anyway - say, the time period from the movie First Contact to TOS.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:14 am

JadziaKathryn wrote:But could we have R/S?

Reed/Sato? That's one of those grey areas where basically I don't really care. So yes, I'd alow it, as well as Travis/Hoshi, because I think there were hints at both.

blacknblue wrote:Once you get it up, feel free to link to and/or copy any of my existing and posted work.

8)

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:33 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Am I correct in assuming that it would only be ENT era stories, and not some general Trek? Personally, I think limiting it to a certain timeframe would be good. It could be quite generous anyway - say, the time period from the movie First Contact to TOS.

That's what I had in mind. There are already sites out there for TOS era stories. TNG era stories, etc. But I don't know of any sites that specifically offer a place to post ENT era stories other than this one, since HoT closed down.
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:50 am

OK!
But Trip and T'Pol are the core!

Return to “Other Trek”