Interesting 'First Contact' Tidbits - Vulcans & Alcohol

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Re: Interesting 'First Contact' Tidbits - Vulcans & Alcohol

Postby Elessar » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:15 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:Ah, but T'Pol had wine in "Carbon Creek," and I can't see her drinking any if it was really bad for her. What if it has no health benefits for them so they just don't have it very often because - oh, I don't know, does wine have a lot of calories? Or maybe they (like me) think it smells gross. :dunno:

However, I don't think Trek, and ENT in particular, were particularly hard on drinking. We saw Archer and Trip share some kind of hard liquor more than once.

In TNG and DS9 they drank FREQUENTLY if you count synthehol... but it seemed alien and nobody acted drunk... Cept worf, at Riker's wedding :)

Worf: "Romulan ale should be illegal..."

Geordi: "It is."
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Linda » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:01 pm

Good wine smells nice, I think. A glass of full bodied dry red wine is a treat. Great with a formal dinner. But I don't like the taste or smell of beer. And I think red wine is supposed to have some beneficial effect (in moderate doses). Moderation in all things is a great adage. Probably Vulcans would agree with that. They at least took a sip to mark the signing of that treaty with the Andorians in Cease Fire.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:37 pm

Oh, please, you should not talk about wine if an Italian is listening to! :D
I don't want to be presumptuous, but I am sure if T'Pol was able to taste a vintage "Barolo", well, maybe she might slightly forget her tea! :vulcan:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:11 pm

Surak cautions against self-indulgence and sensation-seeking. No eating or drinking tasty things just because they're tasty, I bet.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:24 pm

Hey, maybe Surak would alter his caution against self indulgence to allow a small amount just to 'calm the Vulcan soul' after tasting Barolo. I am going to go and see if I can find a bottle of Barolo in Milwaukee!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:51 am

I would like to say to Surak, if he finds the Barolo, that he should taste it with a bit of Parmesan Reggiano (I believe that Vulcans can appreciate the cheeses).
I think that his soul could become even calmer. :wink:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:52 pm

I know mine would... :D
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:23 am

Asso wrote:I would like to say to Surak, if he finds the Barolo, that he should taste it with a bit of Parmesan Reggiano (I believe that Vulcans can appreciate the cheeses).
I think that his soul could become even calmer. :wink:

Cheese is a dairy product though, in the same bin as meat to a Vulcan :wink:. Except, if you count that fic that was just posted (on FF.net, not here) "Commander Tucker Falls in Love" which suggested that T'Pol would eat cheese if it provided better nutritional intake than the alternatives.

I don't think a Vulcan would necessarily drink because it's GOOD, what I was suggesting is that they might drink on occasion because it's good for you in small amounts.

I still think the drink in front of the Andorians and Tellarites was politically pressured... basically I don't like how Star Trek addresses Vulcans and alcohol is just what it boils down to :o

And it's funny someone mentioned beer and wine b/c I've always thought that beer and wine smell very much the same (I'm not saying that without having smelled at least a handful of different wines) and I don't mean exactly the same, but there's a potent common element I've always detected when I smell one or the other. To me they're very similar in smell, but most wine I've had is much better than most beer.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:04 am

Elessar wrote:
Cheese is a dairy product though, in the same bin as meat to a Vulcan :wink:. Except, if you count that fic that was just posted (on FF.net, not here) "Commander Tucker Falls in Love" which suggested that T'Pol would eat cheese if it provided better nutritional intake than the alternatives.

I don't think a Vulcan would necessarily drink because it's GOOD, what I was suggesting is that they might drink on occasion because it's good for you in small amounts.

I still think the drink in front of the Andorians and Tellarites was politically pressured... basically I don't like how Star Trek addresses Vulcans and alcohol is just what it boils down to :o

Damn! This logic is really terrible! :?
And nevertheless I believe I could be capable to convince Soval that the Italian "sweetly doing anything" - DOLCE FAR NIENTE - (together with wine and... other things) is thing good and logic. :D
:doubt: Well, maybe I would prefer to convince T’Pol! :wink: :wink: :wink:

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:29 am

Asso wrote:
Elessar wrote:

There was an episode of Enterprise and I can't remember which one it was....but I think it was in season 3 after the ship got battered pretty badly and the mess hall was in shambles where T'Pol eats Pizza....and Trip tells her if she can just pick off the Pepperonis.

Nothing about her picking Cheese off is mentioned.

*edit* It was The Forgotten.

So wouldn't that at least make Vulcans lacto-vegitarians?
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

Return to “Other Trek”