TAS Canon?

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

TAS Canon?

Postby CX » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:37 am

I've noticed that an aweful lot of people on TrekBBS seem to like the idea. I know that a lot of people at SCN hate the idea. What do yo uthink and why?

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: TAS Canon?

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:27 am

I DONT know. For the most part I even think TOS gets ignored as canon.
Writing as TrekPyro.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:48 pm

yer talking animated series? nae canon

though i agree our term of purity, "canon", has become as devalued as tummy clams in the 21st century.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:04 pm

*blinks*

I wasn't aware that TAS wasn't considered canon.

I've always thought it was.

:shock:
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:45 pm

I think I read somewhere that Rodenberry did not want it to be canon, but don't remember why. Could you summarize the arguments from that other site for and against it being canon? I know that some of its story material has made its way into novels, like that Spock's pet's name was I'Chaya. And being animated, it could represent things that the special effects of the time could not, when using live actors.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:46 pm

It never used to be, not since TMP was developed and produced, except for one episode that gave Spock's background. Other than that it's mostly just been a place to grab possible background from, but with things like a 23rd century holodeck and those lifebelt spacesuits (among other things), it didn't fit into the rest of the Trek universe. It wasn't until CBS released the DVDs in the last year or so that it's been declared "canon".

I think most of the people who want it to be canon are the TOS purists who don't consider anything after TMP to be canon, but I could be mistaken. No one would really explain in that huge poll why they chose "yes" for that question.

I guess I still don't consider it canon, regardless of what some CBS marketing bean counter says. :mad: But then I also choose to ignore NEM and *the_abomination*. Actually I'm only able to enjoy ENT because I think of it as an AU for that matter, but that's another discussion. ;)

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:51 pm

...But then again, Roddenberry said that he didn't want a *lot* of things canon - like Star Trek V, for example. I think he also had it in for certain TOS and TNG episodes he simply didn't like. I was also told that TPTB don't consider Voyager's "Threshold" to be canon.

And I don't consider *the_abomination* to be canon.
Writing as TrekPyro.

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:05 pm

CoffeeCat wrote:
And I don't consider *the_abomination* to be canon.

Does anyone?

Maybe I'm in the wrong circles here (OR I haven't really paid attention)...but I don't think I've met a fan who does consider it canon. :?

After thinking about it for a few (and I'm sleep deprived at this point :? ) I think the only TAS I would consider Canon is "Yesteryear".
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:13 pm

LInda wrote:Could you summarize the arguments from that other site for and against it being canon?

'Compare and contrast', eh, Linda? Careful, your schoolteacher's showing. lol
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:01 pm

TSara wrote:Maybe I'm in the wrong circles here (OR I haven't really paid attention)...but I don't think I've met a fan who does consider it canon. :?

I do.

The definition of canon and continuity are being mixed up again. Whether we like it or not, the ENT "finale" is canon, because it was live action Trek and has not been officially discarded (ala that Trek movie with Sybok) by TPTB. By definition, canon is all live action Trek, although I guess they're extending it to now include TAS ... which is really dumb, if you ask me, 'cause TAS generally stinks on ice.

Continuity is another thing entirely. For example, the overrated Magic!Reset!Button of season 3 is technically canon (since it is live action Trek), but it isn't part of the official continuity (thank God for that.) Every single AU episode of Trek is technically canon, even if they are no longer part of the continuity. The ENT "finale", while canon, clearly does not fit into the ENT continuity and anyone who looks at it in an unbiased manner would agree that it doesn't fit.

So therefore, I'm fine with acknowledging that it's canon. It's just not part of the actual continuity, so I'm free to ignore it like I ignore the Magic!Reset!Button, or "Vanishing Point."
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:19 pm

I guess yer right about that ^
But the only thing that's really canon is that Riker ran a holodeck simulation that may or may not be historically accurate. Trip didn't actually die in that ep - a (rather inaccurate) holographic representation of him did.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:22 pm

CoffeeCat wrote:I guess yer right about that ^
But the only thing that's really canon is that Riker ran a holodeck simulation that may or may not be historically accurate. Trip didn't actually die in that ep - a (rather inaccurate) holographic representation of him did.

There were continuity problems with that too. I've seen the TNG ep that was ostensibly taking place during this ... "finale", and it doesn't mesh with this above and beyond the age issue. When, exactly, did Riker find the time to dick around in the holodeck during that TNG ep? Why were there two Rikers in the lounge? Why did Troi not sound like Troi? Oh sure, I know the real world answers behind it, but the in-universe answers are so much more interesting IMO.

Pookha's theory that it was anti-Riker propaganda by Pressman's people works beautifully for me...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:50 pm

Two Rikers in the lounge? When?
Writing as TrekPyro.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:55 pm

During one of the panning shots on Ten Forward. You can see Riker in the background before they focus on ... Riker.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:56 pm

foolish sea-otters!

Return to “Other Trek”