Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Misc Trek stuff

Postby Alelou » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:24 am

From an ebook by Stephen Schochet that was excerpted today by Kindle Nation Daily. Here's the link if you're interested: http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=2b5 ... 2ffb4a353d

It may not be news to all of you. I have the feeling I've heard it and forgotten it before...

William Shatner resisted producer Harve Bennett’s pleas that he let go of his leading-man image for the 1982 science fiction film Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. The fifty-one-year-old actor was full of ideas that Bennett found objectionable. In the scene involving the death of Mr. Spock, played by Leonard Nimoy, Shatner proposed that the extraterrestrial first officer should not be seen on camera; They should just show Bill as Admiral Kirk reacting to the loss. And why did the story have to focus on the aging former starship captain having a grown-up son? Bennett pointed out that some great film actors got older on screen. Who? “Well, uh, Spencer Tracy. You remind me of him.” Shatner smiled, backed off his demands and gave a mostly fine, understated performance. Later, Bennett found out that he lucked out with his answer; Shatner had worked alongside the aging Spencer Tracy in the 1961 ensemble courtroom drama Judgment at Nuremberg, and totally idolized him.

Extra: Thirty-seven-year-old director Nicholas Mayer used different methods to guide both his hero and villain through the 1982 movie Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Ricardo Montalbán (1920-2009), who played the genetically engineered super-bad guy Khan Noonien Singh, had initially been over the top when he delivered his dialogue. The nervous Mayer suggested to the twenty-five-years-older Ricardo that he’d tone it down; Khan was a madman, but many crazy people were soft-spoken and that made them even more dangerous. To his relief, Montalbán, who at the time was a huge TV star on Fantasy Island (1978-1984), was grateful for the input. The veteran actor displayed no ego and did exactly what his younger instructor asked of him. With William Shatner in the role of Khan’s sworn enemy Admiral James Kirk, Mayer’s approach was to let his leading man do several bombastic takes until he got tired and bored. Then finally Shatner would give the low key line reading that ended up in the finished film.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Eireann
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eireann » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Alelou wrote:I'm not sure what the hell is going on here, but Connor is in it. My favorite scene features Nichele Nichols channeling Yoda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RSooMaH ... ture=share

I followed the link to that 'Impossible' trailer...

...just rename it 'Unwatchable'. IMHO of course (others will doubtless disagree).

Oh, deary me. Connor, you have my sympathy. You really have. Good job everybody will be too busy looking at that woman's vital statistics to notice you.

I make a point of watching anything my favourite ENT actors are in, and I know that as actors they have to earn a living, but sorry, this one I am going to give so wide a berth you could fit an ocean-going yacht in it! Alelou, thank you so much for the warning!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:30 pm

It is just awful, isn't it? :shock:
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Alelou, you're really a lady. Others, less "ladies" than you, would have used more appropriate terms.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:52 pm

Guess I'm in the minority. It made me lmao.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Did you recognize all the actors? Maybe that helps.

I couldn't help thinking that these people clearly get too drunk and bored at conventions and come up with some really weird... (oops, can't say it, Asso thinks I'm a lady).
Image.Image

Eireann
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eireann » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:09 pm

Each to their own, I'm sure some will find it hilarious, and good for them if it does! :?

I'm just bewildered as to what it actually was - is it a trailer for an actual film, or just a bunch of SF actors letting off steam, or what? In any case, I'm afraid that to me it was as funny as a tonsillectomy without an anaesthetic, and if it is a film God help the rest of it if those are the highlights.

Embarrassingly bad, in my opinion. Just utterly and embarrassingly awful. Whatever it was.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:22 am

:dunno: Honestly looks like the kind of things students might put together for fun. The problem with that kind of stuff is that while they undoubtedly find it hilarious, it's mostly out of familiarity on their part, so anyone else watching might not get it and find it funny.

Return to “Other Trek”