Anime Trek

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Anime Trek

Postby CX » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:16 am

So, I was wondering out of curiosity, would anyone watch a Star Trek series that was done up anime style? And by anime style, I mean something along the lines of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ergo Proxy - in other words something that strives for realism in its visual design and animation. So it's be a straight up Star Trek series in every way except that it would be animated rather than live action. Like say if my Foundations series. ;)

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Anime Trek

Postby Distracted » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:49 pm

I'd watch it if the people producing it kept cliche anime tropes out of it. I would NOT enjoy it if my Trek characters were spontaneously transformed into little round versions of themselves at a whim or began shooting death rays from their gravity-defying and horrifyingly humongous breasts. :roll:

I can see some interesting crossover potential, though. You could literally do anything in an animated format, provided you could get permission to do it from the originators.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:17 pm

I've no idea how you'd go about creating something like that but I imagine that doing it well enough to work as a story telling medium would take huge investment of time and effort to create the artwork and then some pretty special skills to animate it. Is this realistically feasible as an amateur project? It's hard to imagine anyone willing to take it on professionally without trademark permission which I don't suppose would be forthcoming.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:07 pm

Distracted wrote:... horrifyingly humongous breasts.

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Cogito wrote:I've no idea how you'd go about creating something like that but I imagine that doing it well enough to work as a story telling medium would take huge investment of time and effort to create the artwork and then some pretty special skills to animate it. Is this realistically feasible as an amateur project? It's hard to imagine anyone willing to take it on professionally without trademark permission which I don't suppose would be forthcoming.

It's just a general question. I'm curious if there'd be any interest in it outside of the otaku crowd.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:28 am

Distracted wrote:I'd watch it if the people producing it kept cliche anime tropes out of it. I would NOT enjoy it if my Trek characters were spontaneously transformed into little round versions of themselves at a whim or began shooting death rays from their gravity-defying and horrifyingly humongous breasts. :roll:

Well, that's what Anime is usually about :lol: At least the hentai variety.

Personally, I'd think Anime Trek would be worth a try, if nothing else, just for the giggles. Imagine T'Pol with those HUGE eyes, which seem to be the norm in latest Anime cartoons and I'm talking about EYES, not mammal features :lol: 8)

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:09 pm

*clears throat*

And by anime style, I mean something along the lines of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ergo Proxy - in other words something that strives for realism in its visual design and animation.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:22 pm

I've been watching some trailers for Mass Effect 3 and I'm blown away by the quality of the animation. Especially considering that it is done in real time on an ordinary PC I think the character animation is astonishing. I wonder whether it would be feasible to use the same rendering engine but adapt the characters to be more similar to our Trek characters?

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:20 am

CGI was something I was more interested in when I first started Foundations, but I was more interested in seeing if there would be an interest for something that was done in anime style, not pure CGI.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:27 am

Speaking of any animated Trek, there's a poll at startrek.com right now asking which trek series would be the best candidate:

http://www.startrek.com/
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:19 am

I'm not really interested in any of the concepts I've seen them tossing around.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed May 09, 2012 4:30 pm

Cogito wrote:I've been watching some trailers for Mass Effect 3 and I'm blown away by the quality of the animation. Especially considering that it is done in real time on an ordinary PC I think the character animation is astonishing. I wonder whether it would be feasible to use the same rendering engine but adapt the characters to be more similar to our Trek characters?

It seems that Bandai Namco are creating a Trek game that looks very similar to Mass Effect 3 in terms of visual effects. Only problem is that it seems to be based on Abrams Trek rather than any of the [snob]real[/snob] Treks. :(

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:47 pm

Thought I'd share this as an example of the animation style I was talking about. Good scene from one of my favorite series. 8)

And have this one as a bonus. The woman with short purple hair is Major Kusinagi, and she's a cyborg in case you're wondering how she can possibly hold back an attack helicopter. Also noteworthy because it's not often you see a strong female protagonist in anime.

Don't piss the Major off. :twisted:

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:46 am

Too tech for me, but I like the fairly realistic animation. At least the women have proportional...ah...attributes. ;-)
Image sig by chrisis1033

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:20 am

Well, only her brain is real, so, yeah. ;)

Return to “Other Trek”