Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

KTR's reflections from another DS9 newbie

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:26 am

Got my sets today, and decided to make this new thread, although I fear that it will go mostly ignored since Rigil already has his and is a couple of seasons ahead already... Sad

Anyway, I have watched the first season before but that's about it. It's been many years since I saw it now though. But I do know about most of the characters and I am somewhat spoiled in very general terms about what's going to happen. Still, i hope to get surprised a lot as I go through the episodes.

I'll post smaller mini-reviews (if I feel like it) as I watch. But they won't be nearly as ambitious as my ENT reviews. I will also use a simplified "grading" system of awful/below average/average/above average/excellent.

So, kicking this off with the pilot...

1-01-02 Emissary

While a bit slow in parts, the DS9 pilot is one of the best ones that Trek has to offer. It sets up the stage for the series nicely as well as lets us meet the characters for the first time. The plot was intriguing and complex enough, which bodes for interesting further developments. Already we can see the set up for longer story arcs, something which Trek up until this point usually has stayed away from, and this is something I really appreciate. The wormhole, prophets, Bajoran politics and Cardassians, among other things, should prove to be a very interesting ride indeed.

At times the pilot bordered on being too cerebral, but I liked the contrast of the prophets' non-linear existence with the linear ones we experience... unless of course we're "stuck" in one horrible memory that Sisko is - the death of his beloved wife at the battle of Wolf 359. I also liked that Sisko held a grudge against Picard and didn't even try and hide that fact. Overall I appreciated the conflict among the different characters, something I find refreshing from what we're usually shown on 24th century Trek.

While seeming a bit wooden and stilted in the delivering of his lines, I did like Benjamin Sisko. He should prove to be one of the better Trek Captains, and after Janeway and Archer I often have had problems with them. I didn't care that much for having his son Jake on the show, but that's because I generally don't like having kids on Trek. I hope Jake (and Nog) will turn out better than the annoying twerps we usually see. A side note: what happened at Wolf 359 is the prefect argument against having kids and families onboard starships.

Odo and Quark makes for an interesting sparring couple, and despite my dislike of the Ferengis I do find myself liking Quark. It was genius to add Chief O'Brien to the crew. He's something as unusual as a non-commissioned officer and the "everyman" of Trek, a combination we rarely see in the franchise. I also like Kira, the feisty Bajoran X.O. and former resistance fighter. We never saw much of Bashir or Jadzia in the pilot to make an impact.

All in all, I'd rate Emissary above average.
Last edited by Kevin Thomas Riley on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Reflections from another DS9 newbie

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:38 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:I fear that it will go mostly ignored since Rigil already has his and is a couple of seasons ahead already... Sad

Cue maniacal laughter!

I doubt that's the case actually. You're already going into more detail than I generally do ...

Best scene of the pilot has to be the one in the beginning with Sisko in the escape pod as it deploys. Totally wicked FX work...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:51 am

Rigil Kent wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:I fear that it will go mostly ignored since Rigil already has his and is a couple of seasons ahead already... Sad

Cue maniacal laughter!

I doubt that's the case actually. You're already going into more detail than I generally do ...

Well, I'm not sure I can keep that up, getting into such detail for each ep...

Best scene of the pilot has to be the one in the beginning with Sisko in the escape pod as it deploys. Totally wicked FX work...

Agreed! Cool

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:04 am

In the spirit of continuing education, which Rigil and KTR have embraced, I'm watching . . . .

the Original Series (yikes). . . which I really don't remember. Seems all my OS

background is from the Movies and Strange New Worlds.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:21 am

Will there be a TOS thread? Smile I would be very interested.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:57 pm

I don't have enouph to say for a thread. Sorry KTR, didn't mean to hijack your thread. So here are a few overall impressions:

Wild colored walls on that ship. (Back when I originally watched Star Trek, alongside Gilligan's Island and Brady Bunch reruns, we had a black and white TV.)

A blatant disregard for physics. (Oh well)

Ambitious, audacious plots. A little bit of something profound right alongside total nonsense. I just watched "In Truth is there no Beauty?" where the alien is so ugly that any human who sees him will go mad. Then Spock melds with him and walks around charming people with the combined wit of himself and the ugly alien. And the plot twists just keep coming. As if that weren't enouph, throw in a blind human trained on vulcan, who gets around with a sensor dress who is jeleous of Spocks budding relationship with the ugly alien. Then Kirk trying to draw some analogy between visual uglyness and the uglyness of jelousy to shame the blind woman into saving Spock. Then all is forgiven, because she is afterall, so beautiful to look at. High drama, played totally straight.

The Spock character/Nimoy's acting is just wonderful, still.

Kirk is easily distracted by woman. Doesn't matter if his crew is about to die of Rigelian flu or an astroid is about to hit a planet, the world is depending on the away team, and Spock is announcing the dwindling minutes till disaster. Kirk smiles and assures him it's OK, then takes a few more moments to chat with the natives. Oh, and he falls in love fast.

I will try not to be negative, but the sexism, which is why I can't totally love this series.

Relative to Farscape, another series I am watching fresh, I prefer Farscape, despite the fact that the Farscape plots are just as audacious (ridiculous). Of course the Farscape special effects are way better, which helps cover for that problem. And of course Star Trek deserves points for being first, and for spawning all the Movies and series that I TRUELY love, from the Next Generation, to Enterprise.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:57 pm

looks like someone *does* have enough for a thread.

Laughing
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:24 pm

enterprikayak wrote:looks like someone *does* have enough for a thread.

Laughing

Indeed! Vulcan WTF

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:30 pm

B-but it's TOS....

You're not supposed to take it seriously Very Happy You're supposed to make fun of it and watch it while your drunk...
Writing as TrekPyro.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:33 pm

CoffeeCat wrote:B-but it's TOS....

*coughs* In a DS9 thread... *coughs*

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:42 pm

oh yes -of course - pardon me...

You know - I really liked the DS9 tribble episode. I think thats one of those rare crossovers that I could actually tolerate.
Writing as TrekPyro.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:08 pm

OK I'm done. Back to the regularly scheduled thread.

Confused

I have a boxed set of opening episodes of the various series, and as I recall, "The Emissary" was the best of the bunch. I like cerebral, I like conflict between the characters, I like long story arcs. I like the nontemporal beings (Why do you live here?). Something to bend your mind around. Jake WILL turn out to be a big plus for the series. No, kids shouldn't live on starships (unless they are "boomers"), but yes they should live on space stations. Sisko for me remains kind of wooden except around Jake and also Dax. Having Dax be an old friend of Siskos in another "incarnation" was a stroke of genious.

Sadly, the next two seasons kind of drag. If I were you, I'd hurry along to season 3, or go to Star Trek.com and see which episodes got high ratings and just do those.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:32 pm

justTrip'n wrote:A blatant disregard for physics. (Oh well)

Um ... all Treks are like that. Odo, for example, completely defies the law of conservation of mass.

Oh, and he falls in love fast.

Ditto.

And so far, season 3 of DS9 has been pretty hit and miss for me, just like the previous two...
Last edited by Rigil Kent on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:31 pm

justTrip'n wrote:Kirk is easily distracted by woman.

I remember when I first saw Civilization, I thought they were going to go the Kirk road with Archer - another womanizer, leaving a trail of shattered and sometimes downright dead females across the cosmos. Of course that would have been more fun for Archer than what did happen. Very Happy
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:53 pm

justTrip'n wrote:Sadly, the next two seasons kind of drag. If I were you, I'd hurry along to season 3, or go to Star Trek.com and see which episodes got high ratings and just do those.

Nah, I've promised myself that I will do this in order, and from the beginning. If I must suffer, then I'll suffer... Razz

Three more episodes:

1-03 Past Prologue

I liked this episode a lot - a strong outing for being the first regularly aired episode of the series. It perfectly highlighted Kira's torn loyalties between a former comrade-in-arms and the new Bajoran government (and even Sisko and the Federation). But while she's moved on to new realities, Tahna is still a terrorist. My only gripe is that he's rather one-dimensional.

Another favourite part was the introduction of "plain, simple" Garak, who is anything but. Maybe Bashir was a bit too naïve here, but I really liked the Garak character. Tailor my butt!

Speaking of tailoring, I must just mention something that I do not like whatever passes for clothing, but that's not a complaint against DS9, but at the whole 24th century Trek. I especially hate those brightly coloured unisex outfits that no sane person would wear. The uniforms aren't very good either, but I've never much liked what passes for uniforms in Trek.

And it was fun too see some Klingon cleavage… I mean, the Duras sisters again!

An above average grade!

1-04 A Man Alone

This episode was all over the place, and came off as unfocused and contrived. I never got the sense of uproar and urgency that would compel the Bajornas to react the way they did when the wanted to lynch Odo for a murder he didn't commit. The murder mystery wasn't that interesting either, it merely served as a vehicle to get the Odo plot going. And almost as an afterthought a clone was created and it wasn't mentioned again. That felt rather callous on behalf of Dr Bashir and Sisko. The moral implications of this should've been huge but we never even saw him come alive.

The Odo and Quark scenes were good though, but the Sisko and Dax scenes felt a bit forced, but that might have been intentional as he's adjusting to Dax being in a new host.

The Keiko O'Brien as a school teacher sub-plot felt too much like a soap opera. I didn't care much for her whining either or having her cast in the stereotypical "motherly" role as caretaker for the kids.

A Man Alone rates as below average.

1-05 Babel

This could've been better, as the concept of an aphasic virus is interesting. Unfortunately it devolves into the clichéd "race against the clock" plot, with the all too predictable Trek Insta-cure™ at the end. All this combined with the extra threat of an obnoxious freighter captain trying to leave.

Since we know that everyone on the station isn't going to die, the suspense just isn't there. They should have realized that and concentrated on other elements of the story.

But I enjoyed the Odo and Quark scenes, especially when Quark came to help out at Ops.

A slightly below average grade from me.
Last edited by Kevin Thomas Riley on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Trek”