She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Abrams Trek

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:36 pm

CX wrote:My impression is that a lot of Trek fans like it because it's something new, and because they have the impression that Trek is popular and "mainstream" now. :roll: But hey, if you don't care about things like a good story, character development, or a plot that makes sense, I guess Abrams Trek is for you. :thumbsup:

I can remember when the first one came out. Some lost kid came up to me and was like, "Did you know Spock was half-human... And he's super-strong also. Spock kicks some serious @ss!"

And I was like, "No sh*t, Sherlock! I had no idea!" and walked away.
Writing as TrekPyro.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:49 pm

putaro wrote:It's often said that action films do well in the non-English speaking markets because you don't need to follow what's going on as much. Whether that's true or just Hollywood logic I can't say.

I read this whole discussion about action movies doing better in non-English speaking markets: :vulcan: :vulcan: If that's Hollywood logic, they haven't met many people abroad. It comes across like they think non-English speaking people are stupid. It makes me wonder if there are more of the logic that isn't true. For example, in articles about cancelled television series like ENT, the following statement is always present: "Because the ratings in the U.S. were not good, this show was cancelled." (Ratings from other countries don't count).

Any way, about action movies: I don't think people like action movies better because English isn't their first language. It depends on the audience. Some people - English and non-English speaking alike - like action movie, because they like action and a movie that doesn't require lot of thinking. Some peope like action movies that makes you think or comedy or drama (that latest Woody Allen movie got high praise over here).

To watch an English movie, when English isn't your first language, shouldn't be a problem to follow a movie. Most people aboad now some English and you have subtitles - you hear the English and you read the translation. It's a great way to learn a language. Or the movie is simple dubbed: John Wayne speaks perfectly German. 8)
Last edited by panyasan on Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:08 pm

“We felt like we were falling into the trap of using a villain based on previous knowledge of the villain, and we were somehow relying on the audience’s expectation to love or hate Khan to make that work.” So they scrapped Khan and made a new villain, John Harrison, with new motivations. “Once we had that story,” Orci continues, “then it became, ‘Now can it be Khan?’”

And thus you end up with half-baked villain who appears to sort of be Khan, only not really, and a script that seemed like it started in one direction and then ended in another. For God's sake, if you're going with Khan then embrace him as KHAAAAAN. If not -- John Harrison could have been just as creepy and effective AND MORE ORIGINAL than what they did. And these people get paid big bucks to ruin their own movies by having too many committee meetings about them. Ugh, it's so frustrating!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:23 pm

And given the success if these two movies, I expect the next one to be more of the same. I even saw threats of them bringing in the Borg or Q. :roll:

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:27 am

Q and the holodeck are the two pieces of Trek I loathe the most.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Something original please, you know like maybe the "Lerterian Chronicles".....
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:43 pm

Weeble wrote:Something original please, you know like maybe the "Lerterian Chronicles".....

:clap:

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Just watched the 2009 movie with my son (he had not seen it before). Obviously the target market for "Into Darkness" was 10 year old boys as he preferred the second movie to the first (he liked the first one, but the second has more explosions).

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:39 pm

Which is about all I need to know, Putaro, still glad i missed it....
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Remember back in the day whenever a new Trek movie came out all the Trek fans were there watching no matter how much it sucked.

Interesting how probably half the board members here haven't even seen it yet. Isn't that telling.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:29 pm

CoffeeCat wrote:Interesting how probably half the board members here haven't even seen it yet. Isn't that telling.

Interesting and meaningful.
BTW. Welcome back, my friend. :wave:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:42 am

We have board members?

I wouldn't skip it. I just have no desire to see it again. And I find that weird and sad, . But then I'm also having trouble even reading stuff I usually want to read. I still haven't gotten to Rigil's last chapter or two of DP. And Dinah's latest. Maybe I'll go remedy that last one at least while I wait for my laundry to dry...
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:06 am

CoffeeCat wrote:Interesting how probably half the board members here haven't even seen it yet. Isn't that telling.

I started to lose interest during the TNG movies. I still haven't seen Insurrection or Nemesis.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:21 am

I'll watch the new movie, eventually. But I'm not going to pay money to see it. :thumbsdown:

Return to “Other Trek”