Abrams Trek

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Re: Abrams Trek

Postby Weeble » Sun May 19, 2013 4:24 pm

I think Dis (Congrats on new graduate son (extra brown-nosing here)) managed this review with less typing.

This is the Washington Times review by Peter Suderman

“Star Trek Into Darkness” is an apt title for a movie as empty as the vastness of space. The movie moves as if through a vacuum — fast and frictionless, from one scene to another, with a lot of nothing along the way. The warp-speed pacing only barely hides the fact that it never really goes anywhere at all, and doesn’t aim to either. The final frontier? Forget it. This soulless sequel to a reboot is only too happy to go where every generic sci-fi blockbuster has gone before, and not so boldly either.
The fill-in-the-blanks plot — which hits every beat in Hollywood’s current favorite screenplay formula — is little more than a collection of starship-sized distractions. (If I see another movie in which the villain’s clever plan is to surrender to the hero, I too will be ready to give up, but only as part of a secret plan to destroy the formula itself.) The action sequences are predictably unpredictable, the sort of spectacles I forgot before they were over. The dialogue consists entirely of quippy expository details and trailer-ready ultimatums — none of which make sense.
Not that dialogue is the focus here. No one ever conducts a conversation, or has a thought, without something interrupting: an explosion, a crash, a shoot-out or some other meaningless reveal. This is a movie that lives in terror of boredom, and projects a deep-rooted anxiety about its own ability to hold an audience’s attention. Watching it is like talking to a salesman who stops every 40 seconds to ask if you’re still with him, and then slaps you in the face just to make sure.
For that, you can thank director J.J. Abrams and his frequent collaborators, screenwriters Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof (a veteran of Mr. Abrams’ similarly vacuous TV show “Lost”). For several years now, the quartet have been waging an increasingly aggressive war on narrative coherence, favoring speed and shock over sense, or even suspense. “Star Trek Into Darkness” is breathless and every once in a while even breathtaking, but it lacks any self-control. It speeds along at such a rapid, punchy clip that nothing much registers at all. It is a movie that is so insistently exciting that it eventually becomes boring.
If there are bright spots (besides the incessant and unnecessary lens flares), they can be found in the cast: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, and Karl Urban return as the original “Trek” trio of Captain Kirk, First Officer Spock and Doctor McCoy, although Mr. Abrams and co. have whittled it down to a duo, leaving McCoy with a strictly supportive role. Zoe Saldana’s Uhura has moments of strength, but the screenplay often seems to forget she exists. New additions Alice Eve and Peter Weller, as a science officer and a Starfleet admiral, have too little to do as well.
Of the newcomers, only Benedict Cumberbatch, as a steely-eyed baddie, manages to maintain a presence — and he’s helped by the way his role echoes “Trek” villains past. Indeed, the movie often plays like a game of spot the references, particularly in the way it mirrors “The Wrath of Khan.” The writers throw old-school Trek-heads a bone every few minutes, but these mostly serve as unwelcome reminders of how faithless the movie is to its source material, and how lacking it is in what made that series great: ideas, characters, stories that meant something — and the trust that viewers would have the patience to explore those strange new worlds, new lives and new civilizations themselves.
★★
TITLE: “Star Trek Into Darkness”
CREDITS: Directed by J.J. Abrams, screenplay by Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof
RATING: PG-13 for non-stop sci-fi violence
RUNNING TIME: 132 minutes
MAXIMUM RATING: FOUR STARS
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Sun May 19, 2013 4:37 pm

Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun May 19, 2013 5:07 pm

She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun May 19, 2013 8:35 pm

I'm not reading reviews because I don't want to spoiled or prejudiced, but my lack of enthusiasm for it is probably indicated by the fact that I just drove my son and his girlfriend to it on a rainy Sunday and didn't stay to watch it myself, preferring to take the opportunity to go buy some plants and have a cup of coffee at home.

Oh well. Bether and I are going to try to go, maybe with our husbands. But I'll let the excitement die down first.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue May 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed May 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Another critical review: Star Trek: Into Dumbness

(I'm so going to steal that title :lol: )

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu May 23, 2013 12:41 pm

io9 brings up some of the same issues I had, but they've changed the settings on their snark from "stun" to "kill".

:tears: :clap:
Image sig by chrisis1033

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:14 pm

I have just seen Star Trek into Darkness and I haven’t felt such disgust and resentment in a long time. The last time it happened for the same reason, the tearing down of an icon franchise for self-aggrandizement by the same movie studio, Paramount. They tore down Jim Phelps and Mission Impossible down to be used as a star vehicle for Tom Cruise and now they are tearing down Star Trek to build up, not a “star” this time, but a director, J.J. Abrams. Now granted, I have never seen J.J. Abrams body of work but it seems he does not know how to tell a good story, just putting together a string of shoot’em ups and “perils of Pauline” situations and calling it a movie. The movie does not have a plot. The characters are superficial, especially the new kid on the block, the villain. With the crew, we got to know them a bit from last time but the new villain?

For the new and younger viewer, Botany Bay has no significance. There was no mention of the Eugenics War. There is no significance to the name of Khan. He is nothing but another run of the mill villain of the week bad guy. There is no lesson to be learned here or any big ethical question to be answered or discussed. Just two hours of “raucous entertainment?” here and then go on to the next thing to occupy our Twitter-shortened attention spanned brain.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:23 pm

Hear, hear! :clap:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:44 am

and they wonder why i don't twitter, facebook or text.
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:50 am

:twisted:

Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Hummingbird2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Hummingbird2 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:02 pm

^^ :guffaw: :clap: :hatsoff:

ginamr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby ginamr » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:45 am

Personally, I think the reboot does a better job at showing you the true depth of the Kirk/Spock friendship than the original series. Shatner's bad acting kind of killed it for me.
New:
Coming Home: Five+Epilogue
6.06: Fall Out

Under Construction:
The Prank War 2
Secret Meetings, Story Two--Wet
6.07: Vestiges of Qualor
Coming This Christmas (December 2012): White Christmas
Hybrid: Prologue & Chapter One--Inspired by Aquarius's "Tag" challenge.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:05 am

Maybe so, but part of the Id, Ego, Superego triad is missing. They've demoted Bones to a minor character. And I just can't get past Spock and Uhura making out in the turbo lift. It's just....wrong. In TOS part of Spock's allure to women was that he was untouchable.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Well, exactly untouchable, no. If I remember correctly, somewhere, on a certain occasion, he said that Vulcans (males) are not insensitive to the beauty (female). :shifty: More or less.

Return to “Other Trek”