Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

My TNG reviews

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Since I just got the complete DVD box set of TNG, I decided to try some mini-reviews. We'll see how long I can keep this up. TNG isn't exactly my favourite and the early seasons were pretty bad. But here we go...

My TNG Reviews

Season One

1-01-02 Encounter at Farpoint

As a Star Trek episode Encounter at Farpoint is pretty bad. Even as a pilot for an entirely, and eagerly awaited, new Trek series it's quite bad. It's surprising that this was able to launch an entire new era of Trek on television. But then again, in the late 80s the TV landscape was a lot different.

It's not even that I review this in hindsight, 24 years after the fact, because I remember being underwhelmed by it even back then. And it certainly hasn't aged well. That goes for the entire run of The Next Generation, but especially for its first seasons.

The pilot does an adequate job of setting up the characters and universe, but it's a shame that neither is particularly interesting. None of the characters really stick out, with the notable exception of the android Data, even if he's somewhat of a caricature. Patrick Stewart lends a certain gravitas to Captain Jean-Luc Picard, but he comes off as something of a stiff. And I cannot get over that the first major action this French captain does is surrender. It is indeed a new generation. The rest are just bland and most of them will never get that interesting, the Klingon Worf another exception.

I don't care much for the look either. The new Enterprise 1701-D is more of a luxury liner than a warship/ship of exploration. It even has families on board, which is pretty irresponsible for a ship that routinely engages in armed combat. The "uniforms" are pretty silly looking spandex pajamases, and the less said about the "man skirt" the better.

But what about the plot? Well, that too was fairly uninteresting and it was rather obvious that they meshed two plots into one just so they could fill two hours. The Farpoint plot was predictable and the Q plot just annoying. But then again, Q is an annoying character. He grows somewhat over the course of new Trek, but he'll become much too overused. Godlike beings have been a bane of Star Trek ever since the original series. He seems inserted here just so Picard can pontificate about how evolved humanity is in the 24th century. Yawn! If there's one thing I don't care for much in modern Trek, it's this concept of "perfect" human beings, something that goes against everything we know about human nature. It's a pipe dream made up by hippies. It's also a sign that creator Gene Roddenberry had a change of heart as he got older. I prefer the more relatable humans in the original series and Enterprise.

But there was one moment that brought a little tear to my eye, and that was the cameo appearance of a very old Admiral McCoy, effectively handing the torch over to the a new crew and a new series.

However, I cannot in good conscience give more than a grade of 3- to Encounter at Farpoint, and that's still generous. Since it the first Star Trek on TV in 18 years I give it a little slack - otherwise it would've been just a 2.

Image Image Image

1-03 The Naked Now

It's a bad sign that they had to go and pilfer an old original series episode for their second outing. They even don't bother to hide the fact, actually referencing The Naked Time and its cure. It's even intentional, as a way to showcase the deeper feelings of the characters. Alas, it falls flat because we don't really know any of them at this point.

The episode isn't even amusing and it seems all the characters' deeper feelings are sexual (apart from young Wesley) as a whooping six main characters engage in coupling up. I don't know, but it didn't really enlighten me as to what makes them tick.

And let me take the opportunity to say how much I despise the Wesley character. He gets them into a deadly mess with his antics that aren't even remotely funny (my namesake Kevin Riley did that a whole lot more entertaining on the original series). And of course the boy wonder is so smart that he gets the ship out of it in the end. Gah! Can you spell Mary Sue? In fact he's so much of a wish fulfilment character for old Gene Roddenberry that he's named after the Great Bird's middle name.

I measly grade of 1 to The Naked Now.

1-04 Code of Honor

This has got to be one of the worst episodes of Trek ever produced. It's totally cringe-inducing and insulting, and perhaps even borderline racist in it's depiction of these black people modelled on some notion of honour in tribal Africa.

Nothing much even happens as it just drags on and on, with people talking and talking without revealing much, just so they could stretch the story to fit into an hour. And the less said about the stupid duel fight at the end the better.

I'll give a non-grade of zero to this boring and offensive episode.

(-)

1-05 Haven

The first season of The Next Generation began really badly, and Haven is no exception. I can understand why it was pushed forward in the original airing order. It introduces us to one of the worst, if not the worst, recurring character in all of Trek, namely Deanna Troi's obnoxious mother Lwaxana. And no, even in her first outing she wasn't tolerable. It's obvious she's in Star Trek just because of Majel Barrett Roddenberry's last name. She should've been content as the computer voice.

I never liked Deanna to begin with, so I didn't really care that she was being married off, especially since it was a foregone conclusion that she wouldn't be since she's a main, albeit pretty useless, character. And Riker behaved like an annoying emo child. "Waning to be a starship Captain!" Ha, considering he spent seven plus years avoiding becoming just that.

The only redeeming thing about this was Mr. Homm, politely thanking Picard for the drinks.

A grade of 1+ to this outing.

1-06 Where No One Has Gone Before

This episode is the first real try by The Next Generation to go on a grander scale - travelling a billion light-years into who knows where - but alas it failed. What we got was some weird alien on an acid trip, spouting new age nonsense about thoughts and time and matter. This could have been a lot more interesting, but it quickly devolved into bizarre hallucinations and funky lights.

Not to mention hammering down that annoying child prodigy Wesley Crusher is oh-so-special. To add insult to injury Picard makes this 24th century Mozart an acting ensign. Had I been a real Starfleet officer I'd been pissed as hell about my CO playing favours and putting a child on the bridge, filling a slot that by rights and training should go to, you know, real officers.

And I have to roll my eyes at the episode title Where No One Has Gone Before, a sign of the more politically correct era, since saying "man" is deemed too sexist (and probably speciest as well). It's now part of the opening catch phrase as well.

I'll give this episode a grade of 2+ on my 10-graded scale.

Image Image

1-07 The Last Outpost

Artefacts of an ancient extinct empire sound intriguing, doesn't it? Too bad that they never did much of the Tkon Empire in The Last Outpost. It was just a means of introducing the extremely disappointing new "enemy", the Ferengi. I don't know what the producers were smoking when they thought that people up, but it communicates that they really haven't a clue what real capitalism is like. The Ferengi are a caricature, and a really bad one at that. How anyone would consider them a credible threat is beyond me. Thankfully the producers soon realized that and shifted focus to more believable menaces, like the Borg and the returning Romulans.

This episode also exemplifies the unfortunate tendency of 24th century Trek to be not just preachy but also condescending and acting morally superior just because we're so "evolved" compared to the other barbarians like the Ferengi. You know, for a civilisation that prides itself on tolerance, the Federation, and especially the humans, often comes off very intolerant towards those not sufficiently enlightened. Apparently the Rip Van Winkle Tkon gatekeeper agrees in this with Riker after the latter managed to quote Sun Tzu and say profound things like "fear is the greatest enemy". Puh-leeze!

And once more, after only seven episodes, we see Picard surrendering unconditionally again. Luckily for him the Ferengi were too daft to notice it.

Another grade of 2+ to The Last Outpost.

Image Image

1-08 Lonely Among Us

This episode contains the by now tired cliché of Alien Possession™ and as such it's fairly standard. Not very good but not overtly bad either. It's just not very interesting. A living lightning bolt inhabits the Enterprise circuitry as well as various crew members, until it reaches Picard. It then, along with Picard, beams itself into the energy cloud from whence it came.

The best part of Lonely Among Us was when the senior staff contemplated removing the possessed Captain from command. Too bad they dragged on about it until it was too late. That would have made the episode a lot better.

The stupidest part was the sub-plot about two species hostile to each other riding along for a peace conference. It was frankly superfluous since it didn't have anything to do with the main plot, and they were silly to boot. But it allowed Riker et al. to once again tap themselves on their shoulders about how enlightened humans are now that we don't even eat meat from livestock anymore. Sheesh!

The resolution was all too convenient and frankly violates established Treknology. Picard's living energy (presumably his "soul") could reintegrate with his body stored in the transporter's pattern buffer after more than an hour. No wonder they never tried that life-saving technique again, since it would amount to introducing virtual immortality.

I'll give this a generous grade of 3 out of 10.

Image Image Image
Last edited by Kevin Thomas Riley on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: My TNG reviews

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:57 pm

:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You've got a gift and I have no clue why you don't write or at least review fics... And guess what! I agree with some of your opinions. There is a lot about the first seasons of TNG that have a lot of cringe worthy moments. That said, I think you should "challenge your preconceptions" go back at it like you never watched it before in your life.

I have no clue how anyone can not love John De lancie! None. I mean whether you love Q or hate him the man was a GENIUS playing him. Few things make me laugh harder than Q.

Same thing goes for Majel Barret-Rodenberry and her "auntie Mame of the galaxy" Is she annoying OF COURSE! That's the entire point of her character. But for me she has a lot of heart, this is due to Mrs. Rondenberry's talent, and undeniable gravitas. Anyone who can ruffle Patric Stewert's saltwart Picard is priceless.

And yes you're right Wesley is a Gary-Stu. However, again that's the point. And because I am a child of the 80's for me he was a big inspiration to do well in school, be curious, have a LOT of interests. And he was my first Trek crush, at 6 years old he was my T'Pol!

About Code of Honor, Every cast member of TNG and GR hated that episode, they took it out of canon. That said, YOU WERE TOO KIND! :twisted:

Looking forward to more. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:37 pm

Thanks for the enthusiasm! :lol:
WarpGirl wrote:You've got a gift and I have no clue why you don't write or at least review fics...

Since I'm brutally honest about what I think, I know that wouldn't go down well. I'm also way behind on reading.

That said, I think you should "challenge your preconceptions" go back at it like you never watched it before in your life.

That's impossible. I cannot unlearn what I have learnt. Besides, I'm certain I would be even harder on it had I not experienced it before. There's no way I'd sit through the first eight episodes before giving up on it had I not known it was eventually going to get better. (And back in the day, that was the only Trek and sci-fi available, so my tolerance level was higher.)

I have no clue how anyone can not love John De lancie! None. I mean whether you love Q or hate him the man was a GENIUS playing him. Few things make me laugh harder than Q.

I do like John de Lancie. He's a great actor. I said as much. But I really don't like Q.

Same thing goes for Majel Barret-Rodenberry and her "auntie Mame of the galaxy" Is she annoying OF COURSE! That's the entire point of her character.

And that's a point I really, really, really hate!

And yes you're right Wesley is a Gary-Stu. However, again that's the point. And because I am a child of the 80's for me he was a big inspiration to do well in school, be curious, have a LOT of interests. And he was my first Trek crush, at 6 years old he was my T'Pol!

Again, a point I hate! If you got inspiration from him, good for you, but I know a lot of people, even those that were kids at the time, who hated Wesley anyway. Generally, a kid watching a TV show or movie identifies most with adult characters, not with kid characters. The identify with Spock, Kirk, Data, Han Solo et al. - persons they see as role models they might grew up to be like.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:39 pm

Honestly, I can't remember this episodes (didn't make much of an impression), but as always I love your reviews! I agree Data and Wolf are the most interesting characters.
I also liked that one female character that was killed of in a very silly (killed by a alien made of oil or something). What a waste!

(BTW - I am still dying to read your reviews of season 3 of ENT. Please, pretty please....)
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:52 pm

panyasan wrote:I also liked that one female character that was killed of in a very silly (killed by a alien made of oil or something). What a waste!

Tasha Yar, played by Denise Crosby. Yeah, that was a stupid death.

(BTW - I am still dying to read your reviews of season 3 of ENT. Please, pretty please....)

I know, I know... it's been a year or two (or has it been even longer?) since I stopped doing them. :oops:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Thanks for the enthusiasm! :lol:
Since I'm brutally honest about what I think, I know that wouldn't go down well. I'm also way behind on reading.

For me personally, you could tell me to go to h-e-l-l and make me smile on my way. But that's just me.

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:That's impossible. I cannot unlearn what I have learnt. Besides, I'm certain I would be even harder on it had I not experienced it before. There's no way I'd sit through the first eight episodes before giving up on it had I not known it was eventually going to get better. (And back in the day, that was the only Trek and sci-fi available, so my tolerance level was higher.)

I'm not sure I believe that. ;-) :hug:

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:I do like John de Lancie. He's a great actor. I said as much. But I really don't like Q.

Well without him Q would be horrific. But the man created the soul of that character. I truly believe that if anyone other than John de Lancie played Q I very much doubt we would have ever seen them again.

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:And that's a point I really, really, really hate!

And yet she is relatable. Most people either know someone who has a mother or a grandmother like that, OR has a mother or a grandmother like that. In my case it's a grandmother, only she can be downright vicious. Especially bout my looks. At least "auntie Mame" truly loved her daughter. I thought it was a "normal" to put in Trek.

Which brings me to another point, in TOS it was really hard for me to see the heroes as people at all. They were heroes, the never died, and were never real. The only family issues were Spock's. The humans didn't appear to have normal relationships. At least the people of TNG had families that I as a child could recognize and identify.

Again, a point I hate! If you got inspiration from him, good for you, but I know a lot of people, even those that were kids at the time, who hated Wesley anyway. Generally, a kid watching a TV show or movie identifies most with adult characters, not with kid characters. The identify with Spock, Kirk, Data, Han Solo et al. - persons they see as role models they might grew up to be like.

Well, for a 3-10 year old Wesely was old enough to read as "adult" enough to inspire. Maybe it's because I'm a girl. Maybe it's because I'm a freak, (entirely possible) but I cannot understand what is so offensive about Wes. :dunno:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:23 pm

WarpGirl wrote:And yet she is relatable. Most people either know someone who has a mother or a grandmother like that, OR has a mother or a grandmother like that. In my case it's a grandmother, only she can be downright vicious. Especially bout my looks. At least "auntie Mame" truly loved her daughter. I thought it was a "normal" to put in Trek.

Just because people like that exist in real life, doesn't mean I want to see them in my Star Trek shows. Especially if it's an obnoxious aunt.

Which brings me to another point, in TOS it was really hard for me to see the heroes as people at all. They were heroes, the never died, and were never real. The only family issues were Spock's. The humans didn't appear to have normal relationships. At least the people of TNG had families that I as a child could recognize and identify.

Really!? :wtf: For me it's the opposite. To me the TNG characters were mostly walking stiffs, whereas the TOS characters felt and acted like humans, even if we never saw their families. And in terms of relationships, nothing on Trek has ever topped the friendships between Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

but I cannot understand what is so offensive about Wes. :dunno:

Because he's an annoying twerp, stealing thunder from grown up characters that have more maturity and experience than he does. He doesn't deserve the accolades he gets, including a position on the bridge. He's the quintessential Mary Sue (or Gary Stu) character, and there's a reason why they're hated.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:36 am

Nope TOS is the most "inhuman" of the Trek series for me. Granted, you have to understand I was very much a baby girl who would lay on couches and hospital bed watching hours and hours, and hours of Trek. And for me the TOS bunch were never flesh and Blood on the TV series, except Spock. In the movies it got a little better. But Kirk and McCoy weren't 2 characters I could relate too at all. It was truly complete fantasy for me. I've still never met a man even remotely like Kirk and if I did I would probably run out of sheer confusion. And although I did love McCoy as a doctor he scared the stuffing out of me. Maybe I was just way too young, and had too much personal experience with cranky Docs.

I do love TOS but it never felt in any way human to me. I recognized the life in TNG. So I identify with it more.

Remember this though your articulate wit makes me beam with joy! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:13 am

Well, I'm completely the opposite re: TOS vs TNG. I could never relate to the TNG characters at all.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:28 am

Well, it just proves we're not Borg. That's a good thing!

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:04 am

Ouch, KTR. I've got all those episodes on VHS. Hubby ordered them from some kind of club and never watched them. Guess they'll stay in the plastic now.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:09 am

Dude! That is some kind of power. However I can't believe Dis hasn't seen those episodes. :hatsoff:

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Oh, I saw them when they aired... And in reruns ad nauseum. I've just never opened the tapes.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Send then to me! :lol: Just kidding.

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:34 pm

I'd have to check with hubby, but as far as I'm concerned if you'll pay postage I'll mail you the lot of them.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “Other Trek”