Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Transwarp
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: My TNG reviews

Postby Transwarp » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:53 pm

Troi did nothing for me. Put me in the Dr. Crusher camp. I liked her even though she never strangled her annoying son.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:00 pm

But she slapped him in the Sarek episode :evillol:

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Kotik wrote:But she slapped him in the Sarek episode :evillol:

A TNG highlight to be sure! :twisted:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:23 am

I liked Yar and Ro best, but then I tend to go for the tomboys. It's also why I went more for Kira than Dax. :D

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Since I don't really care for the Olympics, and they have taken up much TV scheduling this past week, and there is precious little else to watch on TV, I've taken up my rewatch of TNG again. And with that comes new reviews, so here goes.

3-21 Hollow Pursuits

I have a certain fondness for Reginald Barclay, the awkward and socially inept engineering lieutenant, not least because it shows that there are indeed such persons in the 24th century. Not everyone is a perfectly adjusted individual in a soul-crushing collective. While most of the human characters on The Next Generation seem dull and unreal, Barclay feels like an actual human being, and someone you can relate to.

Thus I can forgive him his flaws, even if I have to wonder how he really was able to become a member of Starfleet in the first place. And I got a certain satisfactory glee at watching him punching holodeck versions of the crew around, especially when they're musketeers. And Troi having to watch herself as a "Goddess of Empathy" was priceless. I still don't get why Barclay's attracted to her though.

The episode is also something of a jab at people, mostly genre fans, who immerse themselves too much in fantasy worlds. Barclay has a holodeck addiction. But why is that any different from other types of fans, like sports fans? So that part didn't sit right with me. And Barclay sure isn't the only one enjoying the holodeck a bit excessively, although it is somewhat creepy to use recreations of real people in it.

Hollow Pursuits still receives a grade of 6 from me.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

3-22 The Most Toys

The best parts of The Most Toys is when we're shown how the crew mourns Data, who they believe was killed in a shuttle explosion. Especially touching is when LaForge and Wesley go through Data's belongings. But that is a segment that could have been put in any other story about the supposed loss of Data.

Unfortunately the rest of the episode doesn't hold up. The extended scenes with Data in captivity with a manic collector just drag on without much really happening. Kivas Fajo truly is a revolting character, even if he first comes off as a Harry Mudd wannabe, and I fully believe that Data intended to kill him. But he's just an obnoxious plot device who's not terribly interesting.

And I'm not sure, but this episode might be a jab at obsessive fans getting their hands on numerous collectibles. As such it follows logically from the previous episode Hollow Pursuits, but why the writers feel the need to point fingers at the Trek fan base eludes me.

But I'll give a grade of 3- to The Most Toys.

Image Image Image

3-23 Sarek

Sarek is a great tour de force for actors Patrick Stewart and Mark Lenard. And it's a great treat for long time Trek fans, such as myself, to see the legendary Vulcan Ambassador Sarek once again. The episode is another great bridge between the original series, and movies, and this Next Generation. It's one of those things that contribute to paint the great Trek tapestry.

It was heart-breaking to see Sarek suffer the Vulcan equivalent of Alzheimer's but it is fitting somehow. I don't think it took away his dignity, it showed him and the Vulcans to be real people. Many Trek fans live under the misconception that Vulcans don't have emotions, but they do. They just suppress them lest they would be overwhelmed. It's easy to see the regret inherent in such a lifestyle, however necessary.

Stewart did a terrific job expressing that after the mind meld Picard had with Sarek, talking about Sarek's former wife Amanda and Spock. And while the current wife Perrin might seem a pale substitute for Spock's mother, it is revealing that Sarek fell in love with and married another human woman.

But it strained belief that Sarek would mind meld with an untrained human such as Picard when he had a Vulcan aide with him, but I can understand that it was done for dramatic purposes. Also, the random acts of violence, especially the bar brawl, was a bit excessive to show Sarek's projected emotions. Beverly slapping Wesley, however, was not, hehe!

Sarek is nevertheless a great and moving episode that I don't hesitate to give a grade of 8+ on my 10-graded scale.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

3-24 Ménage à Troi

Dear Lord, the annoying Ferengi and the equally annoying Lwaxana Troi in the same episode! I think my head just exploded from the amount of suckitude they managed to cram into one episode. There really is nothing to see here, except perhaps Picard mangling his Shakespeare lines in the end. I'm beginning to think that one of Voyager's saving graces is the lack of both an annual Lwaxana appearance and the Ferengi (with one exception).

Once again we're reminded why the Ferengi could never be a credible threat. They're just too damn stupid. For instance, why didn't the DaiMon with hots for Mama Troi just abduct her and leave Riker and Deanna behind?

To add insult to injury, we're lead to believe that Wesley the boy wonder would leave for the Academy, but of course he misses his flight just so he could be instrumental in locating the kidnapped Riker and two Trois, and remain on the Enterprise for another year. And Picard gives him a field promotion to full Ensign no less! That must grate even more to the real ensigns on the ship.

Sorry, but Ménage à Troi cannot get a higher grade than 1- from me, and even that feels generous.

Last edited by Kevin Thomas Riley on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:02 am

I loved "Sarek." It would definitely be in my top 10 for this series.

I have always enjoyed Lwaxanna as every woman's nightmare of the Most Awful Mother Ever -- when she's around is probably the only time I truly sympathize with Troi -- but the Ferengi have annoyed me since they first showed up. I suppose they fill an archetypal need for mischievous little creatures.

I didn't like Ewoks either. Or Gremlins. Or Peter Cottontail. Must be some congenital failure to be amused by cute little things that can get into trouble.

I liked Barclay, but I didn't like the way they used him all the time. I agree, they did seem to be showing their contempt for certain kinds of fans they must have run into over the years.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:07 pm

3-25 Transfigurations

I experienced a funny thing watching Transfigurations. Until about halfway into it I couldn't recall if I'd ever seen it before, so it obviously wasn't that memorable. But after a while I began to remember things, albeit sketchy. To top of the weirdness, I found that online Trek reviewer Jammer had the same experience. Freaky!

And there really wasn't much here. Random injured alien, with a convenient memory loss (much like my own), is on the verge of ascending into some God-like energy being, scaring the bejeebers out of his people. Before that he goes around healing people like some Space Jesus, and romancing Dr. Crusher.

Speaking of romancing, he's obviously able to heal Geordi's chronic shyness so that the chief engineer can date the wickedly cute Julie Warner. Somehow I think that is his greatest accomplishment, for no other reason than that I'd probably be like Geordi around the lovely Ms. Warner.

That last part is also why I give Transfigurations a grade of 3 instead of a 2.

Image Image Image

3-26 The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1

This is the benchmark that all other modern Trek stories and cliffhangers are measured from, and for good reason. With its second part, it is one of the finest, if not the finest, outings that The Next Generation has come up with. It has a movie quality to it and there is a reason why it will always be a classic.

Finally we encounter the Borg again, probably the scariest aliens ever to grace the Trekverse (even though some of that got lost later on). They are literally single-minded, they cannot be reasoned with, they can only be fought or you die or get assimilated trying. Resistance is futile, as they proclaim for the first time here. But of course it is not, this is Star Trek after all.

The Borg hive mind is a weakness, but they too can learn, which is why they kidnap and assimilate Picard into Locutus. They have recognised the need to present a human face to the civilisations they will devour. And they learn all that he knows in the process. The sight of Picard/Locutus delivering the terms at the end was chilling, as was Riker's response: "Mr. Worf - fire!"

Cleverly interweaved into the story is Riker's dilemma about once again being offered another command of his own, and the appearance of ambitious Lieutenant Commander Shelby. I have never been a fan of Riker, and what is presented here is a perfect illustration of that. He was originally thought of as a young hotshot but quickly became overtly cautious and too comfortable playing second fiddle. There's ample acknowledgement of this in the episode, even by Riker himself. And it is ridiculous for him to toil as the X.O. year after year without his career suffering. At this point his character might have been salvaged had he taken up command (and there were rumours that Picard/Stewart would depart) but notice how absent these discussions are in the seasons to come. When he finally is given to helm the Titan in the last movie Nemesis, years down the road, I've long since stopped caring.

So I'm with Shelby all the way. Well almost, I didn't support her idea of having another go at rescuing Picard on the Borg cube. But I cheered every time she showed initiative and challenged Riker, even if that might have been a bit unprofessional at times. She'd make a better first officer and it's too bad we never see her again after this two-parter.

The funny thing is that Riker does rise to the occasion. He can make tough decisions when the situation calls for it (we see it even more in part two). So why doesn't he want to sit in the big chair? Maybe he really is too comfortable on this luxury liner, and maybe he doesn't want the responsibilities. But even as first officer you need a certain drive. No one stays first officer. Either you move on (to command) or you move out. I realise the limits of a weekly TV show with set cast members, but still…

OK, I seem to have talked more about Riker here, but don't let that fool you. I really love this episode and even Riker's story is interesting here. And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the captivating score by Ron Jones. The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1 receives a perfect grade of 10+ from me.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Season Three overview

It may be a bit of an exaggeration to say that there was a marked improvement in season three, but it was still noticeable. The average season grade was 4.70 (or 5-) compared to season two's 3.83 (or 4-). So far the season average has risen by about one grade each year and I wonder if it will keep up that pace.

I can however, point to the reason for the rise in quality, and that is the addition of more competent writers and producers such as Michael Piller, Ron Moore and Ira Steven Behr, and the subsequent lesser involvement of Gene Roddenberry. I know it's probably like swearing in the Trek Church, but Roddenberry has not been all that good an influence to his creation. It is noticeable how he changed as he got older if you compare the original series to The Next Generation, and that's not for the better in my humble opinion. Even back in the sixties, Star Trek wasn't all his. It took the help of people like Gene L. Coon, Bob Justman and Herb Solow to make it the legend it is today.

Anyway, looking at the episodes I gave high marks, it comes as no surprise that I really liked it when there were Romulans and Klingons involved, or Vulcans like Sarek for that matter. And of course I gave the first ever perfect grade of 10 to The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1. Equally non-surprising was the abysmal grades to the annual Lwaxana Troi appearance or her daughter's run-in with an oily con artist. Betazoids and Ferengis bring out the worst in me.

There was a distinct lack of character development this season, and that's par the course for this rather bland 24th century crew, and I've stopped caring about it much. It's the non-human characters that interest me more, and the plots. I still expect the show to get better, as it is generally considered that The Next Generation hit its stride in season four, and that's also my recollection.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:23 pm

Hmmmm....

Must admit the best part of TNG was with good Klingon or Romulan episodes. I did enjoy the Best of Both Worlds arc.

As an aside:
Given Gene's infidelity he must have given Majel parts to keep her busy, just saying'
My least favorite character was Tasha Yar; but I did name my first yellow lab after her.
I really liked Captain Picard's character throughout the series. Never could get used to the Riker lean...

Ah season 4 is coming bring on the Klingons.
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:30 am

One other detail,

I really liked Kivas in the most toys. His character played the morally vacant collector perfectly. Best scene was the discharged phaser in the transport buffer. Data was his usual terrific self. If Riker had any part in the episode it must have been unremarkable, perhaps he was late for rehearsal.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:32 am

That is so weird. We had a yellow lab named Tasha too.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:37 am

Maybe it's because of the blond mop :lol:

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Dis,

Definitely weird re:mutt names.

Given that i have a pathological avoidance of red-heads (can't be because of my sister :mrgreen: ), I didn't like Dr. Crusher.

Couldn't stand either Troi. Both characters were AWFUL.

A few entries ago some-one brought up Vash. Great character!

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:25 pm

I was totally a Vash/Picard shipper. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:10 pm

I enjoyed Vash and Picard, but I also shipped ardently for Picard and Crusher at least from the second episode. (I still like to quote "But we don't have time for that sort of thing!")

That's not to say I thought any of the female regulars on the show were particularly well-developed. Troi got more bearable in later years but I despised her whiny emoting at the beginning. Crusher was, I thought, unconvincing as a would-be line officer towards the end. I guess when the show started they were trying not to have a repeat of rascally Bones, but somebody had to have the big mouth and I think she would have been the one to get away with being eccentric. But I don't think the actress gave them what they needed for that. I guess Pulaski was an attempt to go there, but that didn't work either (thankfully, since I might have just stopped watching I disliked that actress so much). Maybe that's why they brought in Guinan eventually, but she was just awful for that show. She was worse than the damned holodeck. Never ever ever make magical, all-seeing beings part of your regular cast. (If she could have just stuck with sticking forks in people and wearing big hats, I would have been fine with her. She could even be wise. But not immortal and all-knowing. No freaking way. That's just poison.)

To give TNG credit: their finale ingeniously allowed shippers and non-shippers alike to be satisfied, and it wrapped up the whole series beautifully. I just wish I could forget the movies. (Well, I'd keep First Contact.)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Star Trek is best on the small screen. The only movie I enjoyed was Wrath of Kahn. The first Star Trek Movie was perhaps the worst flick I have ever seen. The bald chick was well tooooooo weird.

I also liked Vash's re-appearance on DS9.

I think I like the obvious scalawag profiteers, they don't seen to fit into the nice neat Star Trek world but they are believable. Exception is all things Ferengy until Quark...

Return to “Other Trek”