Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: My TNG reviews

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:33 pm

Season Four

4-01 The Best of Both Worlds, Part 2

It is somewhat difficult to separate The Best of Both Worlds in two parts because they form a coherent whole, no matter that they were three months apart, production-wise, and that the writers had no idea how to resolve the story when they wrapped shooting of part one. But I have to admit that the second part does suffer a bit in comparison to the first, but not by much.

Some things are resolved too nicely. The cliffhanger moment just peters out when the firing of the deflector dish fails, and then the Borg cube just leaves them. I understand that for plot (not to mention the entire show) purposes, the Enterprise had to remain in business. Even if the Borg didn't think they had the time to assimilate the crew, blowing up the ship would be just as easy an afterthought as what they did at the battle of Wolf 359.

But it was still a very exciting and compelling story. Riker showed that he could fill the big chair and actually save Earth. I also found it interesting that it was Guinan and not Troi who told him he had to let go of Picard if he wanted to succeed. Of course he ought to have figured that out himself, since he knew that the Borg now knows all Picard knew. Cleverly Riker used that to great effect here when he fooled the Borg and was able to retrieve Picard/Locutus.

The ending did seem a bit sudden, but that was perhaps necessary. There was just no way they could defeat the Borg with conventional means, so having Data interface with Picard/Locutus/the Borg was rather inventive, as was (at the behest of Picard) the command to put the Borg to sleep. But it was a bit of a stretch that doing so would cause the Borg cube to explode. Why didn't they just fire on it and destroy it themselves instead?

The ending with Picard staring out of the window thinking about all he had done and experienced as a Borg was chilling, but it is also a moment that makes one wonder how Starfleet operates. A competent military would never allow a person that had, however unwittingly, aided and abetted the enemy back in command. Also, even given 24th century medicine, it was much too easy to remove all those Borg implants.

I'll end this review with just one more Riker rant. He's even made Captain here, although it's something of a brevet commission, and he saves the day, yet he will get back to being Picard's X.O. Conveniently his intended ship, the Melbourne, was destroyed at Wolf 359, but Shelby says the fleet would be back at full strength in a year, and presumably Riker could have any pick he chose., but nooo… I guess fighting the Borg scared him too much!

Anyway, it's still an excellent episode, and I give The Best of Both Worlds, Part 2 a grade of 9+ out of 10.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

4-02 The Family

Family is quite a remarkable episode. It's the first time Star Trek seriously dealt with the aftermath and the consequences of previous events, and for that alone it should be applauded. All too often the dreaded reset button™ is used. Still, after Family it's still pretty much a return to the status quo ante. The episode is also unusual in that it's devoid of a real plot.

Picard's return to his family's winery in France is the highlight and we learn more about him as a person here than we got to know the previous three seasons. He's still a stuck up, know-it-all bore, but he comes of as a real human being. I liked his brother Robert, played very well by Jeremy Kemp, better even if he sort of bullied Jean-Luc. Their mud fight and drinking binge make up was perhaps a bit clichéd but I thought it was hilarious.

The appearance of Worf's adopted parents could have been embarrassing, but it was handled well even if the Russian Jewish couple skirted awfully close to parody. But there was genuine warmth there, and Theodore Bikel and Georgia Brown did an excellent job. Bikel had a somewhat similar role in an episode of Babylon 5.

Even the scene with Wesley Crusher and the holographic recording of his dead father was nice, and I'm no Wesley fan.

I will happily give Family a grade of 8 out of 10.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

4-03 Brothers

This episode could just as well have been called Family, Part 2, since it deals with Data's "family". Brent Spiner really outdid himself here, playing three characters, often interacting with each other - Data, Lore and Dr. Noonien Soong. The reappearance of Lore wasn't surprising, and neither was the appearance of Dr. Soong. And it was very well done, even if it was clichéd to have Lore impersonating his brother again. But learning more about Data's origins is always a good thing in my book.

The first ten minutes or so, with Data commandeering the Enterprise was also exciting, but really, after that Starfleet shouldn't let Data near a starship again if he can switch behaviour at the touch of a button. Equally weird was Riker for not arresting Soong on the spot, since the old man had effectively kidnapped a crew member, endangering everyone in the process.

The plot about the sick kid and his brother was just filler that was only inserted to add artificial tension, and created a forced parallel between the brothers and Data and Lore. And no, brothers don't forgive each other just because they're brothers.

The old man makeup on Spiner wasn't very convincing, but they seldom are. And Soong's lab looked nothing like a proper cybernetics lab, just how an ignorant set decorator might think a science lab is supposed to look like.

These are minor quibbles though, for Brothers is a good episode. I'll give it a grade of 7- out of 10.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:37 pm

4-04 Suddenly Human

After such a promising start, season four suddenly takes a nosedive with Suddenly Human. There isn't enough meat in here to fill an entire episode and the story drags on and on until the inevitable conclusion. A human boy, raised by aliens after said aliens killed his parents, is returned to the very same aliens.

The man-child was much too annoying, howling in protest and eventually stabbing Picard. His only redeeming quality was flinging a banana split into Wesley's face.

The story could have been mildly more interesting had they played up the drama about the kid's grandmother being a Starfleet Admiral, putting pressure on Picard. But nothing came of that. Also, why didn't they use Worf to make a connection with the boy? He was also raised by alien parents after his real ones had been killed in an attack. The parallels are so glaringly obvious I'm flabbergasted that they weren't used.

I'll give Suddenly Human a grade of 2, and that's one grade just for Wesley getting banana splitted.

Image Image

4-05 Remember Me

Yes, unfortunately I remember the Traveler, the bizarre hippie-like alien from Where No One Has Gone Before back in season one. You know, for a TV show that's supposed to extol the virtues of scientific inquiry, it often resorts to mere esotericism. So Dr. Crushe gets caught in an alternate reality where everyone starts disappearing just because that's what she thought about when she got trapped inside a collapsing warp bubble. Huh?

I'll admit it was somewhat amusing to see people treating her as she was crazy, and the concept isn't entirely new to either Star Trek or sci-fi. And Gates McFadden handled herself admirably here. But ultimately it was too drawn out and lacking any real suspense, especially after the mystery had been revealed. After this episode, I suppose we can say that Beverly's "Jean-Luc, there's something I've been meaning to tell you…" is now a running gag (and one that will get old really fast).

And for the love of the Great Bird of the Galaxy, why would they even allows Boy Crusher to keep experimenting with something that had such disastrous effects the last time? It was only fitting that the Traveler had to return to set things straight again.

I'll have a bit of what the writers and the Traveler has been smoking and give this a grade of 4- on my 10-graded scale.

Image Image Image Image

4-06 Legacy

There really isn't much point of having Ishara being the sister of Tasha Yar, since Tasha is, well, dead. That is, apart from that fact alone makes it possible for Ishara to fool the Enterprise crew to trust her. And that only makes them look foolish and gullible. There is no reason for them to trust her based on the sole fact that she shares the same DNA with their former security chief, and yet they do.

Still, it is somewhat interesting as a human drama of trust, or rather a human/android story of trust. The scenes between Ishara and Data are well played and hopefully he learned something from the experience. Maybe Ishara did too, I don't know. At times it seemed that she didn't really like what she did. And for some inexplicable reason the episode telegraphed her betrayal way too soon, when it would have had a much greater impact had we learned about it at the same time Data did.

The plot is pretty unremarkable with some failed colony having degenerated into a Somalia in space, although it didn't seem nearly as horrible as Tasha described it with "rape gangs" and whatnot. I have to wonder what policy the Federation has regarding its colonies. Do they not feel they have any responsibilities towards them? Why would they allow one of their colonies to sink so low without interfering? Does the damn Prime Directive not even allow that now?

For all its flaws it wasn't that bad. I think Legacy ranks as average, and Beth Toussaint was very good as Ishara Yar, not to mention smoking hot, bearing a striking resemblance to Linda Hamilton.

I'll give it a grade of 5-, with an additional point for Ms. Toussaint and her nice bum in a catsuit. That's a 6- out of 10.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:24 am

hmmmm.....

Disagree, I thought suddenly human was made by the adoptive father forcing Picard to back down. adding the point for the banana impact its a 4

Remember me sucked

Now Legacy, finally some real hottie action. I could have cared less is she was my dog's namesakes long lost sis. It does seem strange that after rescuing denise crosby from there the enlightened of star fleet ignored their problem colony. Guess they weren't good little collectivists. did I mention some hottie shots? I think you need to add an extra point and we can hope that additional desirable females will appear soon.
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:03 pm

^ But I did add an additional hottie point for the Yar sis! :mrgreen:

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:39 pm

4-07 Reunion

I'm a sucker for political intrigue and Reunion has that in abundance, as well as some human… I mean Klingon personal drama. It's clear that Klingon politics will play a prominent role in The Next Generation and interwoven in all that is Worf's personal story.

It way seemed clichéd to have a lost love return, presenting the protagonist with a son he until then didn't know he had, but it worked here with K'Ehleyr and Alexander. I've always liked K'Ehleyr and was sorry to see her demise, but it was inevitable, if not for no other reason as serving as a proper motivator for Worf to kill Duras before he could be the next leader of the Klingon High Council. I appreciated that Worf actually did that, and not even apologising for it afterwards, instead of doing the "Trek" thing and let the slime-ball live.

This is also the first appearance of one of my favourite Klingons - Gowron with Robert O'Reilly's distinctive wide eyes. Of course Duras was the traitor working with the Romulans, but I fail to see what that suicide bomb would accomplish, especially using a detonator that could so easily be linked to the Rommies.

I give Reunion a grade of 8+ on my 10-scale.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

4-08 Future Imperfect

Nothing really happened here that could not be told in a few minutes. Riker gets trapped in some holodeck and is forced to participate in a fake future just because some alien kid, who isn't even malevolent, needs company. Big, huge and obvious reset button™ and a total waste of Andreas Katsulas and some Romulan interiors. If it only had been a Romulan simulation, as Riker was first lead to believe.

There isn't much point in analysing the fake future since it's, you know, fake. I will just note that Riker should have been tipped off much sooner because very little had changed in 16 years. The ship looked the same and so did the people, save a few grey hairs.

Also, I wonder why the alien, being so lonely, just didn't introduce himself when they beamed down. But that would have been too simple and we'd have no story. His real appearance looked atrociously bad as well.

Even as a fake Romulan ambassador, Katsulas' Tomalak was good enough to elevate Future Imperfect to a grade of 2+.

Image Image

4-09 Final Mission

Final Mission has one thing going for it. It marks the long overdue departure of Wesley Crusher as a regular on the show. While his character had marginally improved (not by much mind you) he didn't leave with a bang but with a whimper.

This episode is plot contrivances galore that you could see a light-year coming. A "sturdy" old shuttle you just knew was going to crash, piloted by an obnoxious "Captain" just too stupid to live (and of course he doesn't survive), a manufactured crisis that keeps the Enterprise away until the nick of time, a water fountain protected by a force field for no apparent or explained reason…

There wasn't even much emotional core in it. The confessions between Picard, conveniently injured, and the Wonderboy were thoroughly mundane.

But it was nice to see Nick Tate, who I know much better as Alan Carter from Space: 1999. He deserved a much better role than the one he got here.

2- is all I can muster for Final Mission.

Image Image

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:56 am

"Reunion" Batleff poking out of a corpse has to be worth an extra point.

"Future Imperfect" really liked the Romulan portion of this especially the ending where the Picard is completely outmaneuvered. Riker sucked but I would still add a point

"Final Mission" the third wheel character, funny I can't remember his name :spiraleyes: , was so awful I think this episode is a 1. it only gets a 1 because it gave everyone else time off with their family, friends, or maybe they had a barbecue while celebrating the dismissal of Wesley....

just saying

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:05 pm

4-10 The Loss

Not being one of Deanna Troi's greatest fans it's not surprising that I couldn't muster up any sympathy for her plight after losing her empathic abilities. She didn't help herself by acting like a total bitch about it either, snapping at everyone around her.

She even resigned as Ship's Counsellor because of that loss. She must be a pretty useless shrink if she needs those abilities to perform her duties. She even admits that the people around her doesn't feel real when she can't read them. I shudder to think of being in the presence of such an individual that as a matter of routine pokes around in my head. Luckily she's only half-Betazoid, and doesn't normally posses the full might of their telepathic powers.

Nice to see the hypothetical construct of a cosmic string though, even if it's only used as an artificial obstacle. The two-dimensional beings was a stretch though. How could they even notice those, let alone allowing for them to have any effect on a three-dimensional universe? It must be because the bland and boring 24th century characters are so two-dimensional themselves.

It's only fitting that the two-dimensional episode gets a grade of 2 from me.

Image Image

4-11 Data's Day

Data, by not being human, is one of the more interesting characters on The Next Generation, so making an episode with "a day in the life of" him was a good call. Using another crewmember, with the possible exception of Worf 8another non-human, natch) would have been excruciatingly boring. Still, it came off as a bit flimsy at times. But I must admit to cracking up a bit during Crusher's tap dancing lesson.

We meet Keiko for the first time, and I must say that even if I like O'Brien I could never warm up to their relationship, not here and not on DS9. It's just too much of a soap opera, complete here with her getting cold feet before their marriage. The wedding ceremony was nice though, with Picard almost reciting the lines Kirk spoke in Balance of Terror.

Being a sucker for political intrigue and Romulans I would have preferred if there had been more focus on "Vulcan" ambassador T'Pel and her espionage. But that would have required a better actress for the part, and a meatier storyline. Are the Federation so gullible that they could have had a Romulan spy in their midst for years, maybe decades?

I'll give Data's Day a grade of 6+ out of 10.

4-12 The Wounded

The Wounded has a certain DS9 feel to it, before that spin-off was ever conceived. But then again it introduced us to the new nemesis, the Cardassians. And it featured Marc Alaimo to boot, as a facial-haired Gul Macet. He would of course later excel as Gul Dukat on that show.

Starfleet Captain Ben Maxwell (in an excellent performance by Bob Gunton) goes on a rampage, blowing up Cardassian vessels despite there being a peace treaty with the Federation. It's a bit odd hearing about a previously unmentioned big war, but I can let that slide. He has trouble adjusting to the peace and thinks the Cardassian are secretly arming themselves. That doesn't excuse his proto-Maquis behaviour but in a final twist it turns out he was right.

This is a decidedly darker turn for the otherwise shiny happy 24th century and one that I really appreciate. Maxwell isn't portrayed as a moustache-twirling villain but a complex character admired by many, including his former comrade-in-arms Miles O'Brien. I absolutely love the scene with them singing the Irish war song "The Minstrel Boy" together - so poignant. Despite only being a recurring character, O'Brien is fleshed out further than many show regulars. I think he's one of the more realistic and relatable humans in modern Trek. Imagine if the rest of them were like that. O'Brien has his own war scars and says to one of Macet's aides: "It's not you I hate, Cardassian; I hate what I became because of you."

The Wounded earns a well deserved grade of 9- from me.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Kevin Thomas Riley on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:30 am

The loss - what loss at the end of the day D Troi got her gig back I give it a zero for effort

Data's Day - Romulans, tigers and bears. The voice work by the Romulan captain at the end was an extra 2 points. O'brien was involved that gives it an extra point. weddings shmeddings females changing their minds emotional overloads. BLECCHH

The Wounded - Great Star Trek ep. i thought "The Minstrel Boy" was a scottish tune. a great episode. easy 9 on my scale as well. plus a Miles O'Brien point for a 10. Pet peeve in all things Star Trek is TOO many officers, not enough enlisted. I guess your supposed to go to college to get on a Starship, unless you wear a red jersey or are related to Troi.....

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Weeble wrote:Pet peeve in all things Star Trek is TOO many officers, not enough enlisted. I guess your supposed to go to college to get on a Starship, unless you wear a red jersey or are related to Troi.....

:guffaw: :thumbsup:

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:38 pm

4-13 Devil's Due

There's a reason why Devil's Due feels like one of the worse episodes from the original series, you know the ones were Kirk destroys god-like beings and super computers. It was originally conceived as part of the aborted Phase II show, but it's a mystery why they revived it as a Next Generation script. Perhaps the show runners felt that, as par the course, a great outing must be followed by a really sucky one.

For all I cared, the "devil" could have had her due. The people on that planet are just that dumb for me not to care one iota about them. Had the con artist satisfied herself with that it's likely she would have succeeded. But she was stupid enough to drag the Enterprise into her claim as well, and she should have known better. After that it was only a matter of time, and the viewers' patience, before Picard exposed her.

A grade of 1+ is all the due I can give to Devil's Due.

4-14 Clues

Like most mysteries, Clues worked better when watched for the first time, when you didn't know the revelation towards the end. It's not a bad episode, but it's better viewed with a forgetful mind.

Piercing together the clues is still a bit fascinating. But the resolution feels a bit forced. First of all one would think Data would have done a much better job at erasing the clues the first time around. It also defies belief that a hostile, xenophobic and isolationist species would allow for the mind wipes to take place not only once but twice.

I'll be generous and give Clues a 5- but it's really a 4 when you consider the rewatchability.

Image Image Image Image Image

4-15 First Contact

First Contact could have been a much better episode if it hadn't treated the subject matter in such an obvious and heavy-handed matter. While it's a nice change of perspective in letting it start from the point of view of the aliens, making the Enterprise crew the real aliens, it fails because the Malcorians are so obviously not aliens, but instead a thinly veiled version of 20th century Earth. They just have bumpy foreheads (and hands).

The main villain, a traditionalist head of security who doesn't like space travel, is such an embarrassing straw man, without any nuances. We're of course meant to sympathise with the head scientist, and I must admit her excitement for space travel is infectious. Even so, giving my feelings for the 24th century Federation, I might have had my doubts as well. And while it makes sense to send officers in disguise to ascertain the situation planetside, I can see why it's considered infiltration. How are the Malcorians to know the peaceful nature of the Feds?

And why are we to believe that it's conservatives who are opposed to space travel? There are numerous conservatives in the space community. Last time I checked (summer of 2012 as of this review) it was the liberal Obama administration that effectively axed the new space program launched by president Bush, a decision decried by liberals and conservatives both. Let's not call names here and agree that there are space enthusiasts across the political spectrum.

It was supposed to be a comedic element, but Bebe Neuwirth sleeping with Riker because she always wanted to have sex with an alien was inappropriate given the serious message of the episode. Otherwise the guest performances from actors like Carolyn Seymour, George Coe and Michael Ensign were all very good.

This botched first contact attempt gets a grade of 3+ out of 10 from me.

Image Image Image

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:09 am

hmmm where to begin

first. took ya damn long enough to watch a few more episodes. Liquor stoers must have been closed...

Devil's Due

The protagonist wasn't ugly +1 the local's were pennywits -1 and Worf did get to growl +1

Everything is okay ending -2

Final grade...Tear up the Tape -1

"Clues"

I accept the overall shallowness but think it is a good episode. So you can only watch it once, " The Sting" may be one of the best movies ever made, but not the second time. The ep was well done it gets a 7 first time and a 6 thereafter.

"First Contact"

It was awful. Riker made it worse.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:46 am

The thing I could never get over with "Clues" was that the xenophobes' "problem" could have been easily resolved by letting the Enterprise crew return with their memories intact so they could actually have the Federation put their space off-limits, guaranteeing that no one else would wander in by accident. On the other hand, if they destroyed the Federation's flagship, others would inevitably follow to determine it's fate, guaranteeing that more and more outsiders would end up in their territory. :shrug:

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Weeble wrote:first. took ya damn long enough to watch a few more episodes.

I actually have a review buffer, so it's not like I watched these yesterday.

Liquor stoers must have been closed...

:raspberry:

CX wrote:The thing I could never get over with "Clues" was that the xenophobes' "problem" could have been easily resolved by letting the Enterprise crew return with their memories intact so they could actually have the Federation put their space off-limits, guaranteeing that no one else would wander in by accident. On the other hand, if they destroyed the Federation's flagship, others would inevitably follow to determine it's fate, guaranteeing that more and more outsiders would end up in their territory. :shrug:

That's a very good point. Wish I'd thought of that...

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:59 pm

CX makes a solid point.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:38 pm

4-16 Galaxy's Child

The proverbial shit hits the fan for Geordi when the real Dr. Leah Brahms come aboard. You know, since he had a "fling" with holo-version of her in Booby Trap last season, and naturally the real one finds out and is deservedly outraged at the violation. We're supposed to sympathise with LaForge, because she's nothing like his fantasy but a snooty bitch in real life, but really, his behaviour was creepy and stalkerish.

It was certainly cringe-worthy to watch him try to woo her and this episode did nothing for his character. Geordi comes of like a juvenile dolt. He'd never even bothered to check if the real Brahms was married or not. I feel for the poor woman and it's not very believable that they suddenly formed a rapport in the end.

The b-plot with the birth of the space whale gets totally lost in all the melodrama (or should I say holodrama?), which is a pity. Picard accidentally killing the mother, with his horrified expression, was worthy of a story in its own right.

A grade of 3 is what I can give Galaxy's Child.

Image Image Image

4-17 Night Terrors

An episode with a title like Night Terrors ought to have more, you know, terror. Alas, this one doesn't, with the creepy and excellent scene with Dr. Crusher and the Rising Corpses as the exception. It starts promising with the Enterprise finding the crew of the Brattain having killed each other, but went downhill from there in a prolonged and boring sequence. John Vickery, better known as Neroon on Babylon 5, is totally wasted here as a mumbling Betazoid.

The origin of the mystery is a real let-down, hinging on Data and Troi picking up on one of the most convoluted alien messages ever concocted. Why didn't those aliens just say "Hey guys, have any hydrogen to spare" instead of "one moon circling the other" in Troi's dream? For that matter, isn't hydrogen like, the most common element in space? And the less said about Troi suspended in cloudy space the better. An absolutely horrible effect!

I'll give a grade of 2- to Night Terrors, and that's generous but Crusher's dead earned that extra point.

Image Image

4-18 Identity Crisis

I rather enjoyed Identity Crisis, even if it was kind of weird. I mean, the "science" doesn't make a lick of sense. I can excuse the ignored factor that any kind of rapid metamorphosis would kill the person subjected to it. The trauma alone would do that even if the energy needed was around (which it isn't). But that's the main flaw of all such stories, from werewolves to alien light-beings, but they're still around.

Even so, as an evolutionary practice it is way too uncertain, always requiring the presence of other beings. And why would some internal homing beacon go off once the transformation started. A better success rate for the species would be to spread beyond the confines of the planet. There's also no reason why they wouldn't be detected by sensors. They can cast shadows for crying out loud, despite being, you know, invisible.

Still, I liked it despite those weak spots. The story was engaging and Geordi was good here and we even got to see a little bit about what he did before coming on the Enterprise. He had great chemistry with former colleague Susanna Leijten, and while it's nice to see a non-romantic male-female friendship, as it was here, a part of me wish they would have been romantically linked (as was originally intended) for no other reason than I think he deserves one, especially after the Leah Brahms fiasco. I also liked that they made a good use of the holodeck for once.

Fun-with-DNA™ stories has and will be used more in Trek, notably in the much derided (deservedly so) Threshold from Voyager, and in Extinction on Enterprise.

Anyway, I'll give Identity Crisis a surprising grade of 6- out of 10.

Return to “Other Trek”