Opinionated Video Reviews

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Opinionated Video Reviews

Postby CX » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:21 pm

Okay, so I've come across the reviews of a guy who goes by the handle SF Debris recently. He's actually been doing them for a while, and has a lot of them. While I don't agree with him on everything, I have to say that I like his reviews and definitely recommend them. You can either try this page on his website, which lists everything in order of how the episodes aired in their respective series, or his YouTube channel, which has everything in the order he's done the reviews, as far as I can tell. That might be preferable, because it looks like he only updates the main page of his website when he posts a new review, and not the index page that has everything on it. The only thing is, you'll have to keep hitting the button at the bottom of his uploads page quite a few times because of the number of videos he has posted. The first one seems to be a review of the VOY episode Emanations.

I highly recommend his video about the Prime Directive, which discusses a lot about how it's changed and become something I really hate about modern Trek.

SF Debris also has a Blip channel for his other reviews, like for Babylon 5, Dr. Who, Red Dwarf, and a few random movies.

One that I watched a while ago and he reviewed recently is a movie called Night of the Comet. The review might be worth a watch, mostly because of the Star Trek jokes thanks to Robert Beltran having a part in this movie.

Part 1
Part 2

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: Opinionated Video Reviews

Postby justTripn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:20 am

CX wrote:I highly recommend his video about the Prime Directive, which discusses a lot about how it's changed and become something I really hate about modern Trek

Thanks, I listened to that video about the Prime Directive and he's absolutely right. I never agreed with the Prime Directive to begin with. Hmm . . . I was going to say something more profound, but I have to run off to hockey!!!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:18 am

You should check out some of his other reviews, too. And yes, he does give positive reviews, it's just that VOY and ENT tend not to have many positive ones. Still, he has some pretty goof nicknames for characters and some good one-liners. Then of course there's his alternate fan theories for characters, like that Janeway is in fact a bloodthirsty tyrant and Kim is her chew toy and that Archer (who he calls "Duchess") is actually insane. Then there are things like his "Lazarus of the Week" awards for characters who die and are brought back to life and "Janeway Pie" for when she tries to blow up the ship (her code is Janeway Pi something-something-etc). :lol:

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:47 pm

justTripn wrote:
CX wrote:I highly recommend his video about the Prime Directive, which discusses a lot about how it's changed and become something I really hate about modern Trek

Thanks, I listened to that video about the Prime Directive and he's absolutely right. I never agreed with the Prime Directive to begin with.

Agreed entirely. He perfectly encapsulated everything that's wrong with the PD in the 24th century (and unfortunately, Archer's era since modern political correctness had set in with ENT.) I especially like the infant in the burning car analogy. It's perfect.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Well, somewhat related to the Prime Directive discussion is his recent review of Observer Effect.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu May 12, 2011 1:37 pm

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:17 pm

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:36 am

Anyone else watching these?

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:21 pm

I tried ANIS. He's probably right about it, but I'm just not willing to listen to someone being that negative for that long. The episode itself already took up too much of my life.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:19 am

Return to “Other Trek”