The replicator -- We're getting there!

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

The replicator -- We're getting there!

Postby justTripn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Last weeks' "The Economist" magazine (February 10) had as its cover a picture of a violin that was created with a 3D printer, "And it plays beautifully!"

Print me a Strativarius

I must admit, 3D printers were not something on my radar, but apparently they are becoming very common, and their price is dropping rapidly. Ever wonder what replicators would do to an economy? Well, this article gets into that, speculating about how 3D printers could change everything.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: The replicator -- We're getting there!

Postby Cogito » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:19 pm

This gets better, the smaller you go. Nanotech developments already promise to allow manipulation at the microscopic scale and we've even seen machines that can move individual atoms around. We're getting closer and closer to the world that Neal Stephenson described in the Diamond Age ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diamond_Age ) where all you need is power, data and a feed of raw materials to make anything you need whenever you need it.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm not leaping for joy until IV's are a thing of the past. When I can get my meds without getting stuck by needles and worrying about thin wonky viens collapsing I will be happy. That said, this looks pretty darn cool.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:18 pm

I love Neal Stephenson's writing, Cogito! The Baroque Cycle is perhaps my favorite current fiction. (Sorry, I know that's off-topic, but I just can't resist.)

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:37 pm

WarpGirl wrote:I'm not leaping for joy until IV's are a thing of the past. When I can get my meds without getting stuck by needles and worrying about thin wonky viens collapsing I will be happy. That said, this looks pretty darn cool.
:hug: I am also not a big fan of IV's, so I symphatize with you that you get your meds through IV's. I am sure someone will come up with a new idea to leave IV's behind us.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:29 pm

Hey, why don't we inject them using some sort of subspace matter transport system? :idea:

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:28 am

WarpGirl wrote:When I can get my meds without getting stuck by needles and worrying about thin wonky viens collapsing I will be happy.

I think we've still got a way to go. The doc gave me something called 'suppositories' on my last visit, but they didn't work. In fact, for all the good they did me, I may as well have been shoving them up my ass.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:20 am

I know it. That's why I'm not that excited about a replicator. It seems a bit too frivilous compared to other trek tech. Although in all fairness the same is true of the Cell Phone I-Pad Touch, I-Phone, And every other touch screen device that is basically a PADD. :dunno:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:44 pm

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:22 pm

*angry birds* :lol: !!!!
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Transwarp wrote:The doc gave me something called 'suppositories' on my last visit, but they didn't work. In fact, for all the good they did me, I may as well have been shoving them up my ass.

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

On past experience, I'm going to remember that one just too late to use it when an opportunity arises.

Return to “Other Trek”