Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Transwarp
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Star Trek Fan Survey

Postby Transwarp » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Brandyjane wrote:I guess this "secret life" is about as innocuous as possible, so what's the harm?

No harm at all! You post a reply in a forum or two, then a topic for a drabble catches your eye. You pound out a couple of those. That wasn't so bad, so you try your hand at a missing scene, or a short little vignette sparked by the word-of-the-month. Next thing you know, you're in the middle of a hundred-thousand-plus word Romulan War epic, which is all you can think of or write about and everyone starts looking at you funny but the voices tell you to ignore them 'cause after all they don't understand they're JEALOUS of you, they just want to hurt you, they're bad they're BAD you need to hurt them first so they won't try to stop you can't let them stop you Must Hurt Them First...

No harm at all.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:45 pm

Transwarp wrote:No harm at all.

Oh hell. I'm only up to the "hmmm, ... maybe a missing scene ..." stage so it's interesting to see what lies ahead.
Interesting, and more than a little scary. :D

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:08 pm

Transwarp wrote:
Brandyjane wrote:I guess this "secret life" is about as innocuous as possible, so what's the harm?

No harm at all! You post a reply in a forum or two, then a topic for a drabble catches your eye. You pound out a couple of those. That wasn't so bad, so you try your hand at a missing scene, or a short little vignette sparked by the word-of-the-month. Next thing you know, you're in the middle of a hundred-thousand-plus word Romulan War epic, which is all you can think of or write about and everyone starts looking at you funny but the voices tell you to ignore them 'cause after all they don't understand they're JEALOUS of you, they just want to hurt you, they're bad they're BAD you need to hurt them first so they won't try to stop you can't let them stop you Must Hurt Them First...

No harm at all.

EXACTLY! You don't just wake up, a normal person, one day and go, "Y'know I think i'm going to make 5578 posts on a TripnTpol-specific message board." No. FIRST it's the year 2004 or so, and you're up late one night Googling Star Trek, and you stumble on this "House of Tucker" place that claims to be a "shipper's" site. What is a shipper you ask? The first fic you read happens to contain a not-so-hot literal rendering of Trip's Southern accent. You think, "Wow. I think I could show THAT person a thing or two about how Trip talks. I'll write a page or two." That turned into the forgotten time part 1 and then part 2 which was 100's o' pages long. THEN you stumble into the NC 17 section and think, "Yeah, I bet I could do one of those maybe" and then that turns into the Coituses: Experimentus, Conceptus, Infrequentus. AND THEN SOMEONE COMES UP WITH THE IDEA FOR DRABBLES AND SO ON AND SO ON AND SO ON.........THERE IS NO END.

Btw, everyone I know knows I love trek and go to conventions and post on a star trek msg board (i don't say which board). If I tell people this early on, they quickly figure out who they are dealing with, and adjust their frightened stares accordingly.

My favourite story begins like this: "So this one time I flew to a Star Trek Convention in Texas and met up with an aerospace engineering student, a G.P., and an obstetrician who are all these star trek nerds I chat with online....."

...by this point, one is certain of a "captive audience".
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:08 pm

I'm a character in her favorite story!! How cool is that?!! 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Not surprizing Dis you rock! I'm just never going to be one to do conventions... I can't afford it and traveling is tough. Besides, I kind of like the divide between my "computer life" and the life I live. IDK It's something that's quiet and all mine, something not apart of the stress of stuff.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:02 pm

You guys are scaring me! Maybe I should run away fast...But first I have to finish the story I'm working on. I can't just leave it unfinished, right? Uh oh.

WarpGirl, I'd love to go to a convention, but I'm too cheap to travel. But if one comes to me...

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Sorry Brandy. It's too late. You are So Fully One of Us.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:05 am

You forgot the "Mwahahahahaha!!!!" :twisted:
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:08 am

Don't worry Brandyjane :lol: and yes you must finish I need work! :-P
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:31 am

WarpGirl wrote:Don't worry Brandyjane :lol: and yes you must finish I need work! :-P

Thaaaat's right...lull the new one into a false sense of security. :twisted:

Then...when she least expects it...

BAM!

Latex foam-rubber and spirit gum to the ears.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:42 am

What we're not allowed to be a little normal will we be thrown out? :roll: :-P :-P :-P

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:22 am

enterprikayak wrote:
WarpGirl wrote:Don't worry Brandyjane :lol: and yes you must finish I need work! :-P

Thaaaat's right...lull the new one into a false sense of security. :twisted:

Then...when she least expects it...

BAM!

Latex foam-rubber and spirit gum to the ears.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :vulcan:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Oh, I am fully aware that I'm "One of Us! One of Us!" But no one else in my offline life knows that. Hee hee! I have them convinced that I'm basically normal, whatever that is. They think my Serenity travel posters, old-school Star Trek t-shirt and occasional Trek references are just nods to me being a little bit Geek Chic. Little do they know that they have a full-on NERD in their midst.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:54 pm

I try to appear normal I do, but then I speak Vulcan, Klingon, Huttees, Ryl or Na'vi and it all goes away. :(

Fics

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:11 pm

I'm just not good at learning languages (Trip and I have that in common), so I can't give myself away by speaking Klingon or Vulcan.

You know, one thing I've been surprised by since I first started hanging out on Star Trek sites is how overwhelmingly normal most of the people around here are. Maybe that's just evidence of my own very skewed perspective, but I don't think so. I thought the Trekkies movie was hilarious, but it really does feed into that idea that we're all a bunch of weirdos and losers.

Return to “Other Trek”