Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

evcake
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Vulcan clothing

Postby evcake » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:17 am

and this is a nice selection of robes, I think.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: Misplacedmama

Postby Misplaced » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:36 am

I really like the suit under the robes too. Very sharp, yet still different. I would have enjoyed seeing more casual clothing for Vulcans though -- especially the men. I mean, Koss always showed up in the suit sans the robes.
Officially retired from writing Trek fanfiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:16 am

evcake wrote::lol: Image :lol:

All the men looked like big silver beetles, tho.

And T'Pau's diaphanous robe was really beautiful, I thought.

Wait! is that a Sphinx on her chair?

Actually T'Pau's wearing slacks! And the most god-awful shoes I've ever seen on TV! No sphinx in her hair though.

My fave Soval robe is the sky blue one. But hands down the ugliest Vulcan outfit goes to V'Lar. And it is a crime! Finnola Flannigan is one of the most beautiful women on the planet, she deserved better!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:26 pm

Misplaced wrote:I really like the suit under the robes too. Very sharp, yet still different. I would have enjoyed seeing more casual clothing for Vulcans though -- especially the men. I mean, Koss always showed up in the suit sans the robes.

A high diagonal closure on the tunic seems to be key.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: Misplacedmama

Postby Misplaced » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:41 pm

evcake wrote:A high diagonal closure on the tunic seems to be key.

:lol: Indeed!

I do like the long tunic and sash/belted look as well, though apparently it went out of fashion by the fourth season:

Officially retired from writing Trek fanfiction.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:22 pm

Honestly, all it is is a Japanese kimono with minor cosmetic changes and the outermost layer left open.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:06 am

BrgQun did PM me and I showed her my Vulcan costume made from a Mongolian costume. I hope that helped her.

In this thread I like the photo of the five Vulcan males in suits with a robe over that Evcake posted. Earthy colors, kind of subdued but still showy. I like that formal wear better than Sarek's robes with large gems, that I am looking up at over my computer desk, LOL.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ulva » Wed May 11, 2011 4:43 am

Distracted wrote:Honestly, all it is is a Japanese kimono with minor cosmetic changes and the outermost layer left open.

To be honest, they've pinched anything they liked from Iran to Japan and stuffed in to Vulcan culture in Star Trek, so it doesn't come like a surprise that they nicked the kimono idea. Personally I don't mind, but some... consistency and clear vision about their culture as a whole would have been appreciated; architecture, crafts, art, design. :vulcan: I know everything can't be like the LOTR films, but still. Even if everything couldn't have made in to the series, it would have been very appreciated by the fans, you know, books and stuff.

The 60's were really the 60's! Oh those silvery - I don't know what to call it - it screams so much look! this week's aliens!
Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right. - Isaac Asimov

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed May 11, 2011 1:23 pm

LOTR had the advantage of being filmed all in one go under the same group of costume designers, or at least I assume so. ST was done piecemeal over decades. Surely Vulcan clothing styles would change over the years. Or at least that's how I reconcile the weirdness.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ulva » Wed May 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Oh I'm very well aware of that it's not like LOTR, but if you can create Klingon it's possible to put together a little brochure on this subject. It would have been nice. 8)
Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right. - Isaac Asimov

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Fri May 13, 2011 2:02 am

Ulva wrote:if you can create Klingon it's possible to put together a little brochure on this subject. It would have been nice.

I don't think the people making the show ever took it as seriously as the people watching it.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ulva » Fri May 13, 2011 9:03 pm

Yes and no. There are books going in to great detail on NCC-1701 so it's entirely possible, but someone needs to think it's a good idea for it to happen. Apparently no one have.

Speaking of which, I remember when a good friend of mine, before I was bitten by Trek myself, proudly showed off his latest collectable - one such book. I kept thinking as he showed it off to me "well, it's not gonna fly, so this is a real waste of paper." :lol:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:14 pm

Hey y'all maybe someone can help me with this. Do you know if the head dress in this picture is attached to the robe or not? http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:TLar.jpg
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Sure doesn't look like it. Looks very similar to the headgear we wear in the SCA. I'd bet that's a red fabric cowl with a hat on top that is covered with a veil of material which matches the robe.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:44 pm

Thank ya kindly ma'am! :D

Fics

Return to “Other Trek”