Favourite Bad Guys

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Favourite Bad Guys

Postby aadarshinah » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:31 pm

So, my massive rewatch of Voyager has finally brought me to the end of season three, where Voyager discovers a Borg cube in the Delta Quadrant. And, I admit, seeing them was kinda like seeing an old friend. Don't get me wrong, the Borg are big bads, but seeing a familiar bad guy in VOY was kinda nice. Like coming home after a long trip away, or the tv-villian equivalent thereof.

My question though is, who is everyone's favourite bad guy in the Trek verse? The Borg? The Kilingons? The Romulans? The Xindi? The Dominon? Khan and his Augments? The Tribbles? And why?

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Favourite Bad Guys

Postby Alelou » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:49 pm

The Borg in TNG were amazing, stunning, fabulous, remarkable. They MADE that series.

After that, it got a little annoying how often they showed up, though. And Hugh was definitely going too far. The episode on Enterprise was downright tedious for the first twenty minutes.

I think the Klingons are always fun in a kind of loud, rowdy, tacky bad-ass pirates way.

The Romulans can be fun if they're not portrayed as too dreary and constipated.

I wish the Suliban hadn't just been relegated to evil henchman for mystery guy. They had potential to be far more interesting acting on their own behalf, especially with as many factions as they seemed to have.

I liked the transdimensional beings, except for the somewhat cheesy production values in how they were portrayed. I never quite understood how the guy in "Harbinger" fit in with the always female oracles of doom in the rest of Season 3, but I liked the slimy manipulative vibe and they were a truly powerful enemy in brand new ways for Trek, so that was cool.

I may also be the only person in fandom who thoroughly enjoyed the Nazi aliens. It was campy but fun, and I just love our guys dumped in that era.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:15 am

I liked the Borg, until they became sissified with Hugh.

I always liked the Romulans, especially TOS-era, because of the whole mystique of them being related to the Vulcans.

And, though not so much a "bad guy" I guess, I always found Harry Mudd amusing. 8)
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

EntAllat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Google Talk: EntAllat

Postby EntAllat » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:40 am

Q!!

I'm a sucker for humor so I have a soft spot for Q as a fantastic combination of powerful baddie and humorous misanthrope-turned-Human-wannabe. I'd have to agree though that the Borg were "stunning, fabulous, and remarkable". They were just freakin' awesome.

I guess my favorites are: Q, the Borg, Klingons and then, yes, Tribbles. And I can't forget Khan. Khaaaaaaaan! There's a whole slew of fabulous bad guys from the original series, from Khan to Harry Mudd to that alien that turned out to be a child playing with his toys?

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:50 am

Oh, I forgot Q. I don't even think of him as a villain, that's why. He's fun, though I think it would have been way too much to have him show up on ENT.

I have a student named Khan this semester. I am going to have to restrain myself from going Khaaaaan... Or maybe I won't. We'll see how easygoing young Khan is.

If you could pick a villain on ENT to reprise his role in a movie, who would it be? IS there one worthy of reprising?

Maybe the Xindi Reptilians could be cool villains. They could leave the rest of the Xindi in a huff and establish their own separate reign of terror.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:13 am

I loved TNG Q - though I thought he was too defanged in Voyager. One of the great and unusual things (I've heard this complained about) was that Q was undefeatable. Picard and the crew simply had to convince him to let them go or stop messing with them or whatever. That made very unique story telling.

But the Borg are probably the best pure villains. I think they were conceived as Space Zombies - but they were so much more. You remained you - but lost your individuality and your free will. It's chilling.

On ENT, I would have to say the scariest episode hands down was Impulse - and the Vulcan zombies. They weren't "bad guys" - but they were scary as hell.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:18 am

Q is awesome.

There was a novel--hardcover--in the 80s or 90s, by Peter David, I think--which supposed that Trellaine (who EntAllat referenced) is actually an adolescent Q. I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere...might be worth a re-read, now that I think about it.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:51 am

The Borg will always be my hands-down fav villians, though that might a lot of TNG-childhood coming into play.
Romulans will have to come after that - smart, sexy, and dangerous.... Or maybe it's just an ear fixation...

Alelou wrote:If you could pick a villain on ENT to reprise his role in a movie, who would it be? IS there one worthy of reprising?

Hmmm... Well, besides the Xindi, there really aren't any major recurring villans. Would love to see Dr. Soong again, but he was just more the mad scientist with a concious then a real villian.... I'd have to go with Future Guy - but only if he turns out to be a future Romulan.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:09 am

The undercover Romulan, Valdore, probably would drive story pretty well.

And Future Guy, if he was a Romulan, would be a good choice.

It's funny, thinking about ENT - the best episodes were not villain-driven but internal conflict driven. Impulse is scary - but again, those zombies are more of a phenomena than villains.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:33 am

Future Guy would totally have to be Romulan! And that would rock. The Temporal Cold War did have some potential. It could be reintroduced and be really cool if they didn't lame it up.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:59 pm

honeybee wrote:The undercover Romulan, Valdore, probably would drive story pretty well.

Valdore wasn't undercover. He was back on Romulus in control of that drone program. Did you mean Talok, the Rommie who was pretending to be a Vulcan & interfaced briefly with V'Las?

Truthfully, I don't really like most of Trek's villains because they are too often (IMO) turned into idiots so the equally dumb Heroes can defeat them. Take a look at the Xindi and how dumb they were. ;) My favorite Trek villain is probably Gul Dukat over on DS9, though, with Khan Noonien Singh running a very close second.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:24 pm

I didn't like how Gul Dukat ended up (crazy together with Kai-Win), but there is another character from DS9 which name escapes me.... he was friends with Bashir, he was a tailor, but in the past he was a spy and I really liked the doubleness of his character. Come on brain, what was his name? Garak!
I liked DS9 a lot with Sikso being my favorite captain. Favorite bad guys-aliens are for me the Romulans. They are fascinating, especially because of their cousins, the Vulcans.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Dukat! Maybe he was the best. He was so evil yet attractive. He always tried to justify himself in some almost plausible way, such that you really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. And unlike most villians, he never redeemed himself, though you thought he just might. He was mezmerizing, strutting around with that long neck, being scary and seductive.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:14 pm

And a special shout out to species 8472 from Fluidic Space! They looked so yucky with those three legs all bent the wrong way.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:42 pm

Valdore wasn't undercover. He was back on Romulus in control of that drone program. Did you mean Talok, the Rommie who was pretending to be a Vulcan & interfaced briefly with V'Las?

Yes, that's who I meant. And there's no excuse either - I KNOW the difference and the names don't even sound alike. Serves me right for posting when I'm tired and haven't seen those episodes in a while. :)

Return to “Other Trek”