Rigil's Reflections from a DS9 Newb...

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Rigil's Reflections from a DS9 Newb...

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:17 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Would have loved for Sisko to say "Mister Garak," and the Cardassian zap the Vorta before saying something like "Oh dear. My finger appears to have slipped." But that's just me.
That would be so Garak! :lol:

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:45 am

Instead of doing my homework, I watched two more episodes. I just know that some people are going to disagree with me here, but they were nowhere near as strong as the previous two. If I had to be entirely honest, I'll have to say that I was actually kind of bored with them, and they felt, for the most part, like filler.

Sons and Daughters, frankly, bored me to death. My dislike of the 24th century Klingons is well known, and this just didn't do anything for me, especially since Alexander seemed like such a total putz, even at the end of the episode. I also can't stand watching someone make a fool of themselves (which explains why so much modern "comedy" isn't my cup of tea), so every time he did something stupid, I found myself wincing and wanting to fast forward.

That said, Martok really seems to break that "Retard!Klingon" mold somewhat while still coming across as a 24th century Klingon. The guy actually seems like he has some braincells firing. And his line "War is more fun when you're winning" was actually pretty funny.

The station plot with Ziyal left me a little indifferent too, although I can't quite say why. Maybe it's 'cause I wanted to get back to the Starfleet ships blowing up. I do really like the "dress uniform" that Kira was in though; much better than that silly catsuit they've got her in now.

So, ultimately, I was less than interested in this episode, and was, in fact, seriously considering reaching for the fast forward button several times throughout.

I only liked Behind the Lines a little better. That opening bit on the starbase with the tradition about the power cell from the phaser array was really cool, and is such a military kind of thing that I couldn't help but to smile. I also find myself really liking this Admiral Ross ... he's not the usual Starfleet Command idiot that we generally get on Trek.

It was a good plan by Kira & Rom in the teaser, and made me hopeful that this episode would pick up and actually, you know, show the war instead of just talking about it. No such luck, though.

Dukat's "smile" when Weyoun told him to was hilarious. The antipathy between those two has become rather palpable. And I'm really starting to like Damar – he's such an ass and doesn't care about it.

Can't say that I entirely understand the point of the female changeling having breasts – I mean, she's not a solid so they don't seem to really serve any purpose. Ewwww ... changeling sex. Blech.

Right. I've wandered off on a tangent. Didn't care much for the Odo plot in this ep. It was more than a little boring, especially given that there is ostensibly a war going on. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather see some of the battles than this sort of thing. If there is one thing in Enterprise that absolutely drove me insane, it was when they told me about something instead of actually showing it (like the mysterious "respect" that was afforded to the flatly incompetent captain by every member of the crew, even when he treated them like crap and clearly had never actually earned that respect.) Therefore, it's really annoying me that they talk about the war, but seem almost intent on not actually showing the damned thing. If you're going to do a war story, then you bloody well better show battles.

That said, why in God's name would they put a Science officer in charge of a combat mission? That just doesn't make much sense to me. But then, I forget that this is Trek, and they do a lot of things that leave me scratching my head in confusion.

Dammit ... I feel like I've been gypped once again. Where the hell is my space battle? And, I'm sorry, but Dax's version of the speech about the power cell wasn't nearly as impressive as Sisko's version. Maybe it's 'cause she's simply not as charismatic as Sisko is, or something.

So, I hate to say it, but neither one of the episodes did a whole lot for me. Maybe I just like watching things blow up too much, or something, but the thought that kept running around in my head during these two eps was "Come on. Get on with it already!"
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:11 am

Rigil Kent wrote:Therefore, it's really annoying me that they talk about the war, but seem almost intent on not actually showing the damned thing. If you're going to do a war story, then you bloody well better show battles.

Sigh... They do this on DS9 too, eh.

And then they wonder why their bad guys aren't scary. They either tell us all about it and don't show it, or on those rare occasions when they do show it they make the crew react to it all stoically and then reset the blasted ending. The Frakkers!
Writing as TrekPyro.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:46 am

Well, DS9 has been better about it than ENT ever was. I get what they were trying to do with these two episodes since not every day of war is filled with combat, but dammit...

In regards to the bad guys, at least the Jem'Hadar appear to have earned their reputation as bad asses, where the Xindi (particularly the lizards) were ridiculous cliches. Oh look. They're eating mice. Haven't seen that since ... I dunno ... the 1980s during the V miniseries.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:41 pm

I suppose the eating of our fellow mammals is supposed to get us all creeped out. Me? Lets continue this conversation after I reset my mousetraps and kick the little corpses out the door.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:31 am

Linda wrote:I suppose the eating of our fellow mammals is supposed to get us all creeped out. Me? Lets continue this conversation after I reset my mousetraps and kick the little corpses out the door.
:guffaw:
Rigil Kent wrote: That said, Martok really seems to break that "Retard!Klingon" mold somewhat while still coming across as a 24th century Klingon. The guy actually seems like he has some braincells firing. And his line "War is more fun when you're winning" was actually pretty funny.
See, it is possible to be a war-loving Klingon and have a brain.

But doesn't anyone else think Alexander grew up awfully fast?

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:38 am

Well, they finally got on with it. Overall, the next two episodes are much stronger than the previous two.

Favor the Bold is proof that I don't need a major space battle to enjoy an episode. Yeah, there was a minor firefight in the beginning of the episode, but that hardly counts as anything. Maybe it's just my distrust of the 24th Century, but I can totally buy that Starfleet Intelligence implanted a chip in Garak's head. And maybe it's just me, but I think that if I was the Vulcan admiral, I'd be just a tad bit insulted at how everyone is all worried about the Dominion taking Earth, but not my homeworld; I'd suppress the emotion like a good Vulcan, of course, but still. One thing that I really like is how Sisko has accepted the role as the Emissary now when he was so opposed to the idea back when the show started; and his comment that he planed to build a house on Bajor was very nice. Can't help but to wonder if Damar is like in love with Dukat, based on Damar's comments and actions. Some awesome visuals of the fleet in action, and I still don't know why Morn is so fraking hysterical.

I finally got my fleet action in Sacrifice of Angels, and it didn't (really) let me down. Once again, I find myself chuckling slightly at the fact that the Hero Ship (tm) can take multiple hits and still stay in the fight, but the no name ships are FUBARed with just a single shot. And they cited my all time favorite poem by Tennyson, so that rocks. Question: when did the Federation start deploying fighters? (Further proof, by the way, that Starfleet is a military. A non-military organization doesn't need fighters.) Another question: why is Sisko in charge of this fleet action? Seems like that should be a commodore or admiral's job, not a guy whose only been a captain for a couple of years now. It's especially questionable given Sisko's position on the tip of the spear. I was pretty indifferent to the Odo plot (that seems to be a recurring thing unfortunately), and I was disappointed to see Ziyal die 'cause I kind of liked her.

Anyway, good eps. Wish more of the battle was shown, but I can understand why they didn't (models, right? Pre-CGI).

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:01 am

JadziaKathryn wrote:But doesn't anyone else think Alexander grew up awfully fast?

Same as any other soap opera. ;)

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:22 am

JadziaKathryn wrote:But doesn't anyone else think Alexander grew up awfully fast?

Not really. When was he introduced? At least seven or eight years has passed, and if he was ten or so when he first introduced, then he's a believable age.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:05 am

The thing that bugs me a lot more is that in TNG they made this big deal about Alexzander not wanting to be a warrior, they even had a future version of himself come back in time and declare that he had become a great peacemaker, and now here we have Alexzander being a warrior.

The only thing I really liked here was that Worf's idea of being a parent came back to bite him in the ass. I mean, what did he expect? He sent the kid off to be raised by his adoptive parents... :wtf:

I don't blame him too much though, the kid always was a whiney little brat... :twisted:

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:38 pm

they should have got brian bonsall back. then he would have been exactly the right age
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:49 pm

Yeah, I never took to Alexander as a character. Maybe a lot of fans didn't and that is why the producers had Worf send him away, ha, ha. But in wartime lots of people become 'warriors' who you would never belief. Especially with a big war like WWII and I am seeing the Dominion War as that kind of thing. It just drags in everybody in one way or another. The Federation almost lost it, didn't they? Anyhow, its an ill wind that blows no one any good, and the Doninion War was good for DS9's final seasons, right?

I just love my uncle's story about an acquintance in WWII: "He was a major at the beginning of the war and he was a major at the end of the war and that is very hard to do". Maybe poor Alexander was that kind of warrior, LOL.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:11 am

I don't like Alexander he's a whiny brat in Tng and when it comes to his character i was glad when they booted him off the tng series.I like Ziyal she was a likable character and I felt bad about her character being killed off. Rigil the Dominion war books go behind the scenes of the battles and the aftermath the Ds9 story trilogy Prophecy and change has some really good Dominion war stories some of the stories are pretty dark. especially A Dax story dealing with the Romulans and Genetic engineering dealing with the jem' Haddar everything goes wrong it's a totally different Jadzia dax story she's pushed to the limits in this story as a scientist.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:47 pm

Finally got around to watching the next two episodes today. In my defense, I've had a lot of homework to do of late (I think my biology teacher is insane) so...

You Are Cordially Invited starts out with a kick ass visual of a bunch of ships cruising around the station, and it was neat to see Sisko be all giddy over being "home." The rest of the episode was ... well ... meh. I blame my complete lack of interest in the Dax/Worf ship, as well as my indifference toward 24th century Klingons. There were some pretty funny lines in this though. Seeing the three take a step back to leave Bashir standing alone to be the one for the "pain" was pretty funny, and the "I'm gonna kill Worf" line was hysterical. But overall, it didn't interest me too terribly much.

As soon as Resurrection began, I groaned. Not another damned Mirror Universe episode. At least this one is mildly interesting in that it's set in the RU instead of the cliched MU. Other than that, though, it was a pretty big yawner.

So, overall, neither of the two episodes tonight were much to write home about.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:55 pm

Sigh. I've always wanted to see "You Are Cordially Invited." Unfortunately, I can't afford any legal method.

Return to “Other Trek”