Ron Moore: Galactica vs. TNG

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aquarius
Site Admin

Ron Moore: Galactica vs. TNG

Postby Aquarius » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:50 pm

A friend sent me a link to this article and I thought I'd share.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Ron Moore: Galactica vs. TNG

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:56 pm

I can see why the tech babble would be frustrating to a writer, most people don't like to read it in fanfic. But on screen, I have to say I quite enjoy it. Part of the reason I didn't like the new BSG was that it was too "gritty" for me. Yeah I know that's why everyone loved it so much, but I like more "polished" sci-fi/fantasy. That and I couldn't get past Starbuck and Boomer being women. Athena not being Apollo's sister, and not knowing who was human and who was a DANG Cylon!

But Ron Moore is an incredible writer, and came up with amazing stuff. I was quite upset when he left Trek.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:25 pm

Well, I think the point of his frustrations wasn't so much the technobabble itself, but rather the fact that the "technology save" that necessitated so much technobabble had become so formulaic and predictable on TNG. And in that I kind of have to agree with him.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:39 pm

Well yes, I agree with that from a writing perspective. I guess I wasn't clear. But as a viewer I can except that technology has an inordinent roll in the 24th century saving the day and such. As technology continues to develop human society becomes more and more dependent on it. And given how advanced the 24th century technology is in ST I can see why the society is almost completely dependent on it.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:58 pm

WarpGirl wrote:As technology continues to develop human society becomes more and more dependent on it. And given how advanced the 24th century technology is in ST I can see why the society is almost completely dependent on it.

Which is another nice contrast between the two shows. The people of BG also became so dependent on their technology, and it royally bit them in the ass.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:19 am

Well yeah, BUT if I had to choose between the old BSG and the new one I'd still go with old. Besides The Matrix did it better then both with hotter people. :drool:

Fics

Return to “Other Trek”