Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Reviews of Star Trek - The Original Series

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:01 am

These will be my retro-reviews of the episodes of Star Trek - The Original Series as I go through the remastered DVD sets I recently purchased. They will be presented in episode order, and not in when they were aired even though they for some unfathomable reason are put that way on the DVDs. Why should we adhere to when they were first aired some 40 odd years ago escapes me. The review will be about the episodes with a small mention if necessary about the new footage.

Feel free to chime in with your views if you want to.

They can also be read at my website.

1-00 The Cage
Reviewed by Kevin Thomas Riley

While not technically the pilot episode of Star Trek, the episode named The Cage was the first pilot made but that was ultimately rejected by the suits at NBC for being "too cerebral". But they were sufficiently impressed by Gene Roddenberry's creation that they ordered a new, second pilot, which was almost unheard of at the time. A lot of footage from The Cage was nevertheless reused in extensive flashback scenes in the show's only two-parter The Menagerie, which won critical acclaim and proved that the story in The Cage could well stand on its own legs.

I agree whole-heartedly with this. The Cage is great Trek, it's great science fiction and it's a great story. I often wonder what Star Trek would have been like had it been greenlit after The Cage. And I often find myself intrigued by the thought of all those adventures that Captain Pike and his crew must have experienced before the more familiar James T. Kirk took over the helm of the USS Enterprise. In fact, I think it would be nice to see a Captain Pike series.

Christopher Pike is a different Captain than Kirk. He's more brooding and contemplating and resembles Horatio Hornblower more than the space cowboy Captain Kirk, which was probably intentional and one of the reasons they switched Captains for the second pilot. But Pike doesn't come off as a Picard either. All in all, Jeffrey Hunter suffused a lot into Pike in this hour that made him a worthwhile and interesting character, which makes his ultimate fate all the more tragic.

Pike's relationship with the ship's doctor Philip Boyce is reminiscent of Kirk's with McCoy, and Boyce also makes an interesting and well-developed character, serving Pike a martini since there are thing someone will tell his bartender but not his doctor.

Spock is the only character that survives from the first pilot and we can see that he's still in development. He looks and acts a bit different, talks more stilted and almost shouts out his orders and observations. He even smiles at one point. But he was also younger and presumably rather fresh from the academy.

Other characters aren't as developed, which is natural, but one of the main controversies among executives back then was putting a woman at the first officer (Number One). This is too bad in many ways, and not because it was sexist of the network to insist on ditching her, but because her character was interesting. Majel Barrett was far more interesting as the dark-haired Number One (and better looking too) than she was as the blonde Nurse Chapel. Oh, well… And I must also admit to having a soft spot for Yeoman Colt, who I still think is rather cute, and with hidden passions underneath her mousy persona if we're to believe the Talosians.

While I think The Cage could've held its own I can also see why the suits would think of it as being "too cerebral", especially considering that no one up until that time had ever tried to make an attempt at a serious science fiction show on TV. And powerful aliens that can project thoughts and images into people's brains are certainly cerebral even in a literal sense. It's still an excellent an engaging story that presents a lot of good ideas and a compelling message. Living off illusions is dangerous and it can destroy you, but also that humans (and presumably other intelligent beings) aren't prone for such an existence, as Pike keeps rejecting them. Even a gilded cage is still a cage. It's a good Trekkian message, even though the pessimist in me says that many humans would indeed like such a life of illusions. The Talosian keeper even says as much in the end, and I cannot help think about the holodeck in later era Treks.

The episode does have some plot holes, like why the Talosians originally just thought that Pike, one prime specimen for Vina, would be sufficient enough to repopulate Talos IV. There is a whole ship in orbit with a lot more diversified genetic material to use. It's only later that they bring down Number One and Yeoman Colt as alternative Eves to Pike's Adam.

The Talosians themselves are very well realized. Their huge brains (nice touch with the pulsating veins) and eerie telepathic voices make them creepy indeed. And the glass cages underneath the surface are a good visual. Speaking of good visuals, Vina dancing as an Orion Slave Girl has become an iconic image ever since.

I actually prefer the look and feel of the uniforms and sets on The Cage (and on Where No Man Has Gone Before) to that on the rest of the original series. The more subdued colours appeals to me more than the bright ones seen later, but I do understand why they went with the latter since colour TV was new at the time and it could be used as a marketing tool.

The remastered version offers little new (as it should), but I do appreciate the better look of the Enterprise travelling through space and the fact that they didn't change another iconic Trek image, namely that of the Rigel fortress.

Summing up, I give this, the very first outing (even if it was the last one to be aired, and that a couple of decades later) of Star Trek a perfect grade of 10. And as much as I like the rest of the original series and cast, as I've said, I wouldn't have minded a Pike Trek.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Reviews of Star Trek - The Original Series

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:59 am

Jeffery Hunter OMG one of the most beautiful men EVER! :drool: And god what a talanted actor. I would have ate Star Trek 60's style with a spoon if he had been Captain. Not that I don't love the one we have, but I can't watch it over and over like the other series. But hey does this mean you're going to finifh reviews of season 3 of ENT??????????
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:20 pm

WarpGirl wrote:But hey does this mean you're going to finifh reviews of season 3 of ENT??????????

Um, well... yeah! Eventually... he said avoidingly. :oops:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:14 pm

You're turning into a tease, just like Elessar. You know that right? :raspberry:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:29 pm

Cool! :drool: I look forward to reading these because your reviews are intelligent and thought provoking. :vulcan: They usually have a bonus in that there is something about the movie or episode that I had not even noticed before. :popcorn:

What year was The Cage made? I didn't get your last line. Was it made years before the second pilot?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Linda wrote:Cool! :drool: I look forward to reading these because your reviews are intelligent and thought provoking. :vulcan: They usually have a bonus in that there is something about the movie or episode that I had not even noticed before. :popcorn:

Thanks you very much! You're making me blush! :oops:

What year was The Cage made? I didn't get your last line. Was it made years before the second pilot?

The Cage was made in late 1964. WNMHGB was made in 1966.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:37 pm

1-01 Where No Man Has Gone Before

When the studio felt that The Cage was "too cerebral" they nevertheless commissioned a second pilot, something that was almost unheard of at the time, and Where No Man Has Gone Before is the result. It was however aired third, which was bound to confuse viewers since the look is still different from later episodes, just like it is in the first pilot. But the ship's interiors had gotten a bit more red on doors and railings. Notably absent are Dr. McCoy and Lt. Uhura, and we see Sulu wearing science blue. And for some reason Spock, the science officer, is wearing command gold. Well, he is the first officer too, but still…

And just like the rejected pilot, Where No Man Has Gone Before is an excellent episode of Star Trek and one can see why the network accepted the show. While a bit more action-oriented than its predecessor, it still dealt with a lot of heavy stuff. We have a Captain that, for the sake of the ship and perhaps humanity as a whole, has to kill Gary Mitchell, his best friend, who has obtained god-like powers. Already in his first appearance James Kirk has a defining moment. While I had nothing against Pike (see my review of The Cage) I certainly didn't mind that they switched to the more cowboyish Kirk. After all, Kirk has to me become the quintessential Trek Captain that no one has surpassed since, even if Sisko comes close.

Where No Man Has Gone Before was also the first Trek episode I ever watched as a kid, and as such it holds a special place in both my memory and my heart. I remember being creeped out by Mitchell's transformation, with the booming voice and glowing eyes, and those feelings haven't subsided as I've grown older. It still holds up extremely well. One of the most chilling moments where when Kirk was watching Mitchell speed-reading on the monitor, then Mitchell slowly turns and looks at him, knowing he's being watched. The subtle greying of Mitchell's hair as he grows more powerful is another nice touch.

The camaraderie between Spock, Kirk and Mitchell are conveyed in the beginning, if a bit short, but that's necessary this being a one hour episode after all. While still having some rough edges and yet to be worked out kinks, the 3D chess-playing scene between Kirk and Spock established their relationship of friendly banter. And even though Kirk is more of an action hero than Pike, he's still more serious than Mitchell, who described Kirk at the academy as "a stack of book with legs". Mitchell is the hell-raiser and we can see that they completed each other as friends. This makes what happens in the episode all the more tragic.

The episode also showcases the interesting concept of a man acquiring great mental powers while still essentially being a human with all our frailties and flaws. A God has no need for morals, Mitchell exclaims, but Kirk rightly realizes that above all a God needs compassion. Power corrupts and absolute powers corrupts absolutely! That's why Mitchell has to be stopped, has to be killed, just as Mr. Spock rationalize in one of the first scenes where he uses cold Vulcan logic. But this doesn't diminish the torment Kirk feels. It's a great human drama.

At first they try to maroon Mitchell on the automated lithium cracking station Delta Vega (shown as a beautiful well-known matte painting which they thankfully kept most of in the remastered version). But his powers grow and he escapes together with Dr. Elizabeth Dehner, a psychiatrist who's also now acquired these powers. Thus we get the final confrontation between Kirk and his former friend, and with a little help from Dehner, Kirk is able to kill Mitchell.

In the remastered version they did a touch up of the lithium cracking station, and made sure the passage of time could be seen as the sun rose. They also redid the whole trying to pass the galactic barrier effects, and it looks a lot better now. So no real complaints here.

The grade for Where No Man Has Gone Before will be a 10 on my 10-graded scale, just as the first pilot got. All in all, the original Star Trek had a terrific start.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Kevin Thomas Riley on Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:49 pm

WOW! Two 10's for two episodes. I love ALL your reviews but I really love the ones where you DON'T like the episode. I don't even have to agree to love them. Anyway thanks for the small laugh on such an awful day.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:34 pm

1-02 The Corbomite Maneuver

You can tell that The Corbomite Maneuver is the first regular episode of Star Trek. It's evident that they were still ironing out the kinks, and not just from Spock's high collar and Uhura's yellow uniform. Still, it's pretty amazing that they essentially had nailed down the characters and their interactions this early on, even if some smaller moments seem a bit off. Spock is a bit harsh at times for example. But the dialogue is great and the characters are already as we've come to know them. Other shows can take seasons to develop this kind of characterization, but not the original Star Trek, which goes to show you the quality of the writing and acting.

The relationship between Kirk, Spock and McCoy is already established and it feels natural. It's clear that even if Kirk may have made up his mind sometimes, he needs the input of the others. McCoy is more than willing to point out any flaws and Spock, while offering different opinions, is comfortable in his role as Kirk's "consigliore". This triad, The Big Three, is what more than anything will sustain Star Trek as the years progress.

Even a guest star like Lieutenant Bailey is well developed. He's prone to crack under pressure and was promoted over McCoy's objections. But Kirk feels the young man has potential, and in the end he does prove himself. While Bailey could come off as a bit annoying at times, he felt real, he felt human.

The basic plot is simple enough but does its job of conveying a sense of danger from the unknown. The main problem though, is that it's too drawn out and that makes it lose suspense after a while. There are too many "ticking clocks" present and that makes the urgency seem, well, less urgent, which might explain the lack of crew reactions (except for Bailey's) in the face of imminent death. Here the episode would've benefited from a tightening of the story.

Kirk's Corbomite bluff is very clever though, and it's one he'll use again against the Romulans. This is what makes Kirk such a good Captain. For all his cerebral properties, it's not something Spock would've thought of, which co-incidentally explains why Kirk can win a game of chess against his first officer. And despite his reputation as someone who likes to shoot first and ask questions later, here Kirk displays a much more nuanced personality. He only destroys the cubic probe after it threatens the ship with destruction and he refuses to blast Balok's ship when he has the chance. So even in the face of an unknown enemy he can't understand, Kirk still feels compassion and the need to seek out new life forms and new civilizations in order to hopefully come to understand them. Like he said in his address to the crew: "You know the greatest danger facing us is ourselves, an irrational fear of the unknown. But there’s no such thing as the unknown, only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood."

Still, there are some plot holes present, especially considering Balok's motivations and his modus operandi. OK, so he's an alien who conceivably thinks different, but there are numerous times when things could have gotten wrong with his test. What if the Enterprise indeed had been destroyed by the first probe, or if Kirk hadn't come up with his Corbomite bluff? What would Balok have done then? Or what if a more trigger-happy Captain had fired on the smaller Fesarius ship? The plot resolution hinges on a lot of rather convenient actions from Kirk. And how is not firing on Balok's damaged ship a sign of peaceful intentions, especially after Balok has proven himself to be perfectly capable to destroy them numerous times before?

Anyway, the surprising twist ending remains a classic, with scary-looking Balok just being a puppet and the real Balok being a six-year old Clint Howard drinking a "grapefruit juice" called Tranya. And of course Bailey volunteers to become the liaison officer to this First Federation, whoever they are. In episodic fashion, neither are heard from again. I sometimes wonder what happened to Bailey and Balok.

The remastered version of this episode features some new and much more striking visuals both of the Enterprise in space and especially of the sphere-like Fesarius, which is much more believable as a major threat than the one seen before. And they did stay true to the original design and intent.

I'll give The Corbomite Maneuver a grade of 7+ on my 10-graded scale.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:57 pm

YEY! The master is back. These make me smile. I'm so happy.

Fics

Return to “Other Trek”