New Movies's contributions to canon

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: New Movies's contributions to canon

Postby justTripn » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:52 pm

Here is the wonderful tidbit I discovered today, from my boss. I work at one of the major economics journals. Apparently economists are thrilled that the the new movies had young Spock learning math, physics, and ECONOMICS! It's just two words: Spock was reciting something about "nonrival and nonexcludable." That's economics jargon. I heard it, but assumed it was also math. Apparently it was INTENDED as economics. One of the movie writers was an economist and got it in there.

Why are economists thrilled? Well, yeah . . . the vague "our economy is different now" thing from First Contact was sort of discouraging, and economists (and others) suspected a sort of bias against capitalism on the part of the writers and an obliviousness to economic principles. Well, no longer!!! I've even read two excruciatingly boring blogs on how appropriate it was to include that particular jargon. Because the fact that knowledge is nonrival and nonexcludable helps explain how an economy can achieve fantastic growth so there is plenty for all, a kind of utopia. It's kind of like when Jordi mentions the "Hiesenberg compensators" on the transporter. It says to physicists, yeah we (future engineers) recognize the problem too (The Heisenberg Uncertaintly Principle) and we've solved it. :D

So I doubt these new writers will screw up the economics of Star Trek. :) (Hey, the ship is named Enterprise! ;)
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:55 pm

Wow that does the Ferangi and the Orions proud.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:19 pm

See, economists are used to being misunderstood and mischaracterized by the general public. :( So it's nice to be appreciated in at least this movie! :D

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:29 am

Took economics classes in college got good grades and loved it. So I will concur.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:01 am

:D

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:19 am

Don't get too excited JT. I took the classes because I was curious but the plan was to major in Art History and minor in English Lit and French. Unfortuately I had to drop out because of health problems.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:59 am

Have you considered trying for an online degree? Those can often be more flexible.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:09 am

Unfortunately I find the format overwhelming. Message boards aren't as organized and most people pay LESS attention online then they do in class. I get very stressed out then I get sick and end up in the hospital for a month, NO thank you kindly. I do intend to go back, but I need one more operation when it's done and I'm recovered... Well, my time will come. Back to the movie...

Fics

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:22 am

This movie takes place completely in an AU, one that wasn't created by an time incursion due to differences that were already in place and different from established continuity. So the short answer is that the new movie contributes nothing to canon.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:13 pm

Well I think that the broad trajectory of society (the persistance of Christianity), not to mention the pre-existing geoglogical features of Vulcan (a blue sky), would NOT be affected by the original incursion.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:51 pm

See, I find the possibility of a less technocratic Trek comforting. Technocracy as a set of beliefs died out around '91 for a good reason: technology is not a cure all, in fact it usually causes more problems then it solves. Roddenberry's Star Trek, specifically TNG, has long up held the notion of a technocractic society where capitalism is replaced by a great good guided by technology. Wrong. This new movie opens up the possibility of a half technocratic/half capitalistic culture and that's just a little bit more realistic.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:05 pm

I LIKE the technology stuff, the imagining what it could be like in the future - realistic or far out, whatever. But I also like the idea of more realistic economics and perhaps speculation on a future economy which is more realistic. I took a few accounting courses in my computer science days even though I immediately forgot most of it. Balance, Yes! Yeah! I'd also like to see some balance in the philosophy and religion area. Surak, Christianity, yes, but...ALSO all the other religious philosophies from earth and beyond. Hey, I loved the DS9 Ferengi view of life as a flow of trade goods. What did they call that? The river of something? It was a neat phrase but I forgot. Love the different world views Star Trek can come up with. Outside of the hopeful nature of Star Trek, the world views and culture contact is what I like best about it. I'll give the AU a chance but my heart is still in the RU of Star Trek. And to Abrams I say "Do your thing, but hey, WE (those who love the RU) are still here and we still put our spendable income into things RU".
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:20 pm

I mean Technocracy, as in a democracy governed by technology. It was a movement from the 50s and 60s that Gene Roddenberry found fascinating but the rest of the world found laughable. Much of Star Trek is based on those ideals (Credits, greater good, no money). Technocracies aren't sustainable, even on paper. So the fact that this film introduces a half technocratic/half capitalist society lets me breathe a sigh of relief.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:17 pm

I think It's a mere sign of how times evolve.
Things change, and so also movies.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:49 pm

thecursor wrote:See, I find the possibility of a less technocratic Trek comforting. Technocracy as a set of beliefs died out around '91 for a good reason: technology is not a cure all, in fact it usually causes more problems then it solves. Roddenberry's Star Trek, specifically TNG, has long up held the notion of a technocractic society where capitalism is replaced by a great good guided by technology. Wrong. This new movie opens up the possibility of a half technocratic/half capitalistic culture and that's just a little bit more realistic.

:wtf: I didn't really see it for that, especially not DS9. It must've really sucked for you then when BSG went off the air.

Return to “Other Trek”