Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Help creating an imaginary game?

Postby Escriba » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:25 pm

I had a dream this night, which as you know is bad news since I can dream very vivid things that distract me for weeks.

This time I dreamt about a Vulcan game. A Vulcan imaginary game that isn't canon or anything. It was, as I can recall, a mixture of cricket and lacrosse. Cricket because you had to knock down some "wickets". And lacrosse because players ran through a field with the same stick. But it had two hooks at the end of the other side of the stick, like that thing you use to collect hay (I don't remember the name), with which you coul tackle your opponent.

The players were dressed like this (sorry for the bad, bad quality. I've drawn it with the pen table and I can't draw properly on it. Tomorrow a better picture.)

The field was something like THIS. The colors of the circle are different because each one gave different points if you knocked down the wickets from there. I think each circle had a player that couldn't move from his/her circle, but I'm not sure of this. I'm almost sure that the opponent could only tackle the other player if this player had the ball. The wickets of each team were in their corresponding green circle (so is a lot like lacrosse, but with wickets instead of goals.)

What I'm asking is if somebody could give me ideas about the rules and such. I know it sounds stupid, but that's how my brain works. If I don't have a somehow satisfactory explanation I get obsessed and that's not good :(

So please, pretty, pretty please...

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Help creating an imaginary game?

Postby thecursor » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:07 am

Let's try this:

S'Par

The field is divided into zones: six for defenders and six for attackers. Each defender zone gets one player and one wicket, the smaller the zone the fewer points that wicket is worth. Each attack zone gets two attackers and the three zones in the center get no wickets and no players.

Attackers can only enter another teams defense zone one at a time, but they can enter the three neutral zones in any number. Defenders can never leave their zones.

The object of the game is to move a heavy round ball, sometimes made of stone or iron, down field to the other team's wicket. Attackers can't enter a defense zone without carrying the ball, defenders can't score points. The rules vary by region but some S'Par fields include lighter and bouncier balls for faster play or heavier balls for slower play.

The game was designed by Prel the Heretic, a famous Vulcan philosopher who lived 900 years before the birth of Surak during the wild days of Old Vulcan. Prel was a stoic-like philosopher who attempted to teach many of the same ideas later reintroduced by Surak himself centuries later. Originally he intended the game to be a demonstration of social harmony and teamwork but ironically the game's brutal nature made it more popular then Prel's original lesson. Eventually it became the favorite game of Prel's tribal leader, Sovir the Ruthless, an ancient king known for his blood lust. Sovir changed the rules when the game was played for his entertainment, often putting the losing team to death or cutting off a limb for every point scored. During the Third Tribal War, Sovir ordered his own wife to play the game for his amusement, then putting her to death when she failed to be victorious. Sovir himself was put to death after losing the throne to his own brother but the game remained a part of court life in Vulcan's southern hemisphere for centuries.

Prel was horrified by this perversion of his lesson and would later put down his feelings on S'Par in a chapter of his last surviving novel, "The Wisdom of the Fire Caves": 'And soon, as each player entered their circle I felt elated at the sight of harmony as they played according to the rules I set down, but my heart was heavy for I knew the bastard (Sovir) would not let such harmony to last. To see it played, is to see my soul die.'
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:16 am

Thecursor, YOU. ARE. MY. HERO.

Thank you, thank you so much...

And what happened with Prel and Sovir is so common that is scary :lol:

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:09 pm

I mashed up a couple of really nasty ancient kings for Sovir: Qin, Commidus, and Genghis Khan.

While the story between the two characters refers to 1700s Europe when philosophers would have a patron who paid for lessons, usually those lessons were ignored by their royal patrons but later embraced centuries later by the common people.

Here, I'll think up some more:

The most famous game of S'Par ever played was during Zefram Cochrane's first visit to Vulcan who chronicled the twelve hour long game for a book, only to discover after the game was over that Modern Vulcans never record games or even keep score most of the time. Cochrane inadvertently became Vulcan's first sports journalist.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:51 am

thecursor wrote:Cochrane inadvertently became Vulcan's first sports journalist.
:lol: That's awesome!

Return to “Other Trek”