Star Trek movie reviews

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek movie reviews

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:56 pm

Well I don't see how it would have been the same character if it had been played by someone else Professor Flannagan. But it's a moot point anyway. I can't stand Sybok either.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Eian Flannagan
Commander
Commander
Twitter username: eianflannagan

Postby Eian Flannagan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:01 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Well I don't see how it would have been the same character if it had been played by someone else Professor Flannagan. But it's a moot point anyway. I can't stand Sybok either.

It's the same character because of the way its written, lass. Not because of how it's acted.
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds;
our planet is the mental institution of the universe."
---Johann von Goethe

The Happy Medium Universe

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:16 pm

In some ways yes, but every actor brings his own unique perspective on how the character is written. He or she might emphisize one trait, whil another actor would demphisize the same trait. Look at the new ST movie. The characters were familiar but hardly identical, they kept very true to the essence of them. I guess you could say it's like an actor decides the shade of his character, maroon and scarlet are both shades of red but they aren't the same.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:36 pm

I think I'm in the little, very little minority which saw the movies, here.
Nobody speaks of it, here.
Not good.
But it's better I don't debate about the reasons, I think.
It's better. Yes. It's better.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:18 pm

Eian Flannagan wrote:I fall somewhere between Aquarius and Alelou on TVH. I could suspend my disbelief (because, let's face it, it's time travel) but it was a wee bit too corny.

See, even considering the "corny" factor, I still didn't think any of that was any more out of place than, say, "The Trouble with Tribbles," which to this day is still a huge fan favorite. Yes there were lots of jokes, but to my 16-year-old mind then as well as my older mind now, it made perfect sense to me because the show changed up the vibe, so it was time to lighten up with the films, especially after such heavy loss and grief in the last two films.

Unfortunately they had to follow that one up by saying "Y'know, we just haven't had enough SUCK FACTOR in the franchise in a while!" :roll:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Heck if they didn't have those bright spots of optimism and humor eventually our beloved heroes would have been driven into depression. A sense of humor can be life saving.

Fics

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:15 pm

I never liked ST4, personally. While you don't think the humor or it's environmentalist message are over the top, I tend to disagree. Most of the humor is too corny for my tastes, and the "save the wales" message is so obvious as to not really be bothered with, really. And the way they kept pushing it kind of grated my nerves. The time travel aspect bothered me as well, though part of that was because it was the stereotypical "future people in modern day, having difficulty with our modern culture". They did it with the old BSG, The Planet of the Apes, and on VOY. Those types of shows always make me roll my eyes, so I wouldn't rank 4 any higher than 5 because it comes off just as stupid to me.

I used to think 5 was the worst, until Abrams Trek came along. :mrgreen: 6 is still my favorite.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:00 pm

:roll:
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:18 pm

CX wrote:While you don't think the humor or it's environmentalist message are over the top, I tend to disagree. Most of the humor is too corny for my tastes, and the "save the wales" message is so obvious as to not really be bothered with, really. And the way they kept pushing it kind of grated my nerves.

I think it bordered at being over the top at times, but in the end they stayed on the right side of that border, in my opinion.

As for "save the whales", well, I agree it's an obvious message. But I actually prefer an obvious message instead of a more controversial one that would probably be divisive - not to mention getting old fast. Imagine if the message had been one warning of an impending ice age. How would that sit with today's audience that think man-made global warming is the greatest danger since, well, the new ice age. :?
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:21 pm

While I don't believe in forcing people to believe in anything, I appreciated the fact that ST had a message of caring for Earth. It was nice to know that even in an age of deep space colonization and exploration, that Earth was still important. That caring for your home, and the creatures and people on it still mattered.

Fics

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:01 pm

Alelou wrote::roll:

I like you too. :hug:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:43 pm

I was just quoting one of your many eye rolls at me back to you, honey. ;-)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:13 am

I'm going to have to rewatch "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier." Row, row, row your boat aside, I enjoyed it. I was young and uninformed and didn't know to be outraged about Sybok being Spock's brother. And I thought the "What does God need with a starship?" line was so awesome.

And for some reason "The Wrath of Khan" didn't totally grab me as much as it did everyone else. I didn't like Khan (I was too distracted by his silly cleavage showing outfit to suspend disbelief) and I didn't like Kirk's son. Of course the death of Spock was perfect.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:34 pm

It is time to rewatch all the old ST movies, I guess, and make some notes of my own now that we have KTRs excellent reviews. Does anyone know when the Abrams movie is due to come out on DVD? I saw it once in the theater but would like to have a copy so I can stop action and look more closely at some of the scenes.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:44 pm

Nope but I do know I won't have to pay for it. My dad will buy it, watch it once, forget it. Then I steal it. PERFECT arrangement. ;-)

Fics

Return to “Other Trek”