1 Awful
16%

Total votes: 25

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Abrams Trek review thread *HEAVY SPOILERS*

Postby thecursor » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:57 am

This is sort of like the "Push button" war argument they had in the seventies and eighties, Nations with ICBMs would be more prone to warlike behavior if you could spread death just by pushing a button thousands of miles away.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:54 pm

Another article about the new movie.

An excerpt:
“I never wanted to watch ‘Star Trek’ because I always felt alienated from ‘Star Trek.’ I always felt it was not my world. It was the fans’ world. The fans had built this kind of impenetrable wall around their beloved series,” [Chris] Pine said. “J.J.’s come in and broken that wall down a little bit, and I’m hopeful ‘Star Trek’ will be open to a whole new generation of fans. Different types of people who never felt they would be fans.”

JJ didn't break down that wall "a little bit". He tore it down and made something very different.

Call me a snob, but I liked the old Trek with its "impenetrable wall".
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:24 am

Wall? Accessibility? Bullshit words if you ask me. If you didn't like the show, just say so, don't whine about inaccessibility.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:08 am

Oh boy. Poor Chris Pine probably has no idea what he's just gotten himself into. He'll need his OWN set of walls before this is over.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:16 am

They do edit those interviews only believe about half of what you read.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:19 am

As a man who used to edit said Interviews, it's more like a quarter.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:44 am

Really! Wow. That's rather sad. No wonder famous people keep saying they were misquoted or the comment was out of context. Makes me glad I dropped the journalism idea. Not that I'm healthy enough anyway. No offense to you or KTR. :D
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:17 am

You know, I can't speak for television "journalism," or for Hollywood reporters -- surely a special breed unto themselves -- but I take a bit of offense at the idea that most print interviews would feature made-up quotes. The vast majority of print journalists and editors are serious and dedicated and take pains to get that right.

And famous people or their publicity flunkies are very likely to say that something was misquoted or taken out of context when what they said ends up making them look bad.
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:46 am

Alelou I wasn't referring to ALL of journalism. I was referring to entertainment journalism. But today everything is spun in some way. That's why the news is slightly different from network to network and I'm sure the same thing goes for print journalism. Otherwise why have so many different papers and news organizations? Everyone and everything is motivated by agendas.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:08 am

Just plain surviving is the main agenda for most newspapers at the moment, I'm afraid.
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:17 am

Still it is an agenda. And Print news is especially powerful. I sugguest you watch Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, or Meet John Doe. They are excellent examples of the power of the press. While some laws have changed the principle is still the same. Now the good news is I might get to see what all of the fuss is about the movie soon. My sister's ringing endorsment however IS NOT encouraging, we rarely like the same thing.

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:40 am

It's all context, especially when it comes to hollywood and politics. I don't think it's all made-up quotes, but I'd be in severe denial if I didn't believe that only choice bits weren't pulled out to be printed, leaving the reader to infer certain things.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:01 am

I can speak for Television...it's mostly sensationalist drivel.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm not touching television. You can do things with edits and lighting and make up that would make Mother Teresa look like an evil Nazi if you wanted to, or make Hitler look like a saint, and yes, I think it happens all the time. If you ask me, though, the reality of most TV news is a bunch of pictures being put up along with easy, shallow narration by well-coiffed people who wouldn't know real reporting if Woodward and Bernstein sat on them. And don't even get me started on the cable 'news' networks and all that endless bone-headed yapping to fill time.

But please don't try to tell me that those movies portray American journalism in any sort of realistic way.
Image.Image

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:46 pm

Televisions failures at journalism come mostly in the slow days. They say that a slow day makes a good reporter and that you'll have the chance to slow down and really dig at a story, the truth is more like "you scramble to find a story, then fight to make it look relevant". What kills me is that we were living in Illinois, one of the most politically corrupt states in the union, and yet we covered autism over and over again because it was the co-anchor's pet project.

Our biggest story of the year was a "To Catch a predator" rip off where we pretended to be sixteen year old girls then whipped out a camera when the guy showed up.

Return to “Other Trek”