Star Trek: the new movie.

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: Star Trek: the new movie.

Postby justTripn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:36 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Not that I should really care since I've sworn myself off the Trek reboot franchise, but for those interested:

Star Trek Sequel May Contain Pointed Modern Commentary

I have an ill foreboding feel about this. Contrary to many Trekkies I've never really liked it when they do "in your face" commentaries on Trek. It tends to be devisive to the fans. Also, as the writer of the article says:

Problem there is that as soon as they start tackling ‘real issues’, those things can seem a lot more important than just telling a proper story. Fall into that trap, and suddently Trek is exactly where Abrams said it wouldn’t be: pretentious.

Richard Arnold (that was his name right?), speaker at the last convention, said that this new movie set up the characters and situation, so that this next movie can have some kind of a moral. I think it would be a shame to squander the opportunity. Star Trek (the franchise) has a "soul" and the last movie drew alot of it's energy from that fact without much contributing to it. BUT I LOVED THE LAST MOVIE. But it's time for a movie with a moral or fascinating theme, or something. Remember Nemisis? I loved Nemisis. That whole "twin" thing and how Picard deals with the fact that if he had grown up in different circumstances he might have been evil. Remember in Generations Picard and the Alurian having a philosophical discussion about "time" as Picard looks for an opening to attack him. I love that sort of thing. Doesn't have to be pretentious. That's what was great about the original series. It was so . . . ambitious . . . the writers and actors just aimed high and went for it. So sometimes it looked ridiculous, but never pretentious.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:23 pm

I am with you on that JT. :thumbsup: I just hope it comes across as meaningful but not in-your-face overdone. :?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:08 pm

:vulcan: Sorry to be perverse, JT but I don't remember Nemesis. I saw it again less than a year ago and I STILL can't remember it. To me it was the most forgettable ST movie ever. All I remember is that I thought it was just awful. Both times. And it had a Romulan clone of Picard for reasons I can't remember. If there was a message I've lost that in my general desire to forget I ever spent my time watching it. I would have guessed it was something to do with spending a lot of your budget on stupid moon buggy James Bond action sequences and with people singing Gilbert and Sullivan, unless that was Insurrection, which I have also done my best to forget.

I do remember Generations, but I disliked that one too. It broke my cardinal rule: never have a story in which Guinan has to explain shit. Mostly, though, I thought it made the TNG crew look like idiots compared to the TOS crew.

In my book, ST 2, 3, 4, 6, and the new one are the only truly worthy ST movies. I would say they all had messages. To me, the message of the last one had to do with growing up and finding your true calling.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:31 pm

:( Yeah, don't worry. I already know that everyone but me hated Nemisis.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:43 pm

I don't hate Nemesis, but I don't think it was one of my favorite ST movies. The highlight for me was the starship collision. But then I am the Gomez Addams of Star Trek fandom. I love train wrecks, ship wrecks, starship wrecks. Yummy. :drool: :thumbsup:
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:18 pm

I don't hate Nemesis, but I can't really watch it. Even if there's a DATA 2 I still sob at the mere inference that he could be dead.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:55 pm

I don't know if somebody has read this. Is a joke script of the new movie, like one of those abridged scripts.

Bad Script: Star Trek

One of my favorites parts:

ERIC BANA

Awright, it's time to collapse some planets. Go grab some "red matter".

CLIFTON COLLINS JR.

What the hell is this stuff, anyway? It's obviously not a pliable singularity, since a droplet a millimeter in radius would mass 6.811x10^23 kilograms, and even if it was, it's still only a millimeter in radius, and wouldn't be able to entrain matter as quickly as it does.

ERIC BANA

It's made of pure plotdevicinum.

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:18 pm

You know I don't really care how stupid it is, if Eric Bana is saying it. :guffaw: Still drooling over him in the edited version of Troy, Honor the Gods, Love your woman, defend your country... PERFECT! And yeah I liked his Romulan villian too. Because in a way he was just doing the same thing, only in a completely maniacal, way of course. Sorry to see him dead.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:06 pm

Escriba wrote:I don't know if somebody has read this. Is a joke script of the new movie, like one of those abridged scripts.

Bad Script: Star Trek

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: It's hysterical!

JIMMY BENNETT

I hope the audience is enjoying watching me dangle from a cliff by my fingertips, because they're going to be seeing a lot of it.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “Other Trek”