He, he . . . I have my tickets!!! Who is getting excited????

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: He, he . . . I have my tickets!!! Who is getting excited????

Postby Alelou » Sun May 10, 2009 1:37 am

SPOILER!!!:
Fundamentally, this was a story about a friendship between two men who have real challenges to overcome and can help each other do it. I particularly enjoyed watching their profound conflict warm into something else. Secondarily, it was about how a crew came together in a trial by fire. The mechanism for all this was a space opera plot with an alien bad guy of the week and a fair amount of implausibility, but I'll accept that because it because the main characters were compelling and because it was beautifully executed.

I'm not sure how I feel about Spock/Uhura because I think it is out of character for him, at least, but I find myself wondering why people are so quick to decide Uhura was dumb eye candy. Is there some kind of double standard at work? I thought her acting was in the same league as the others, not that she was given as much to do as K and S -- still, it was miles beyond anything poor Nichelle Nichols got to do.

Or was it the outfit? I definitely could have done without the minis for women in this movie. As long as they were rebooting... come on, guys. Where's the logic in traipsing around a spaceship where you can't bend over without showing off your booty? This is one case where staying true to the original doesn't make a whole lot of sense post-Enterprise or even just post-1970's.

As far as losing Vulcan -- yeah, that is a body blow -- but there are still 10,000 Vulcans. And now they are in an extremely interesting predicament as a people, as is Spock as an individual. The storytelling possibilities are really amazing.

OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun May 10, 2009 2:47 am

SPOILER!!!:
But Uhura served only one actual purpose in the movie other than looking good, which was to reveal that the attackers were Romulan. Now, Chekov got to do some transporter magic, Sulu's fencing actually came in handy (which I loved, by the way) - but Uhura was mainly there to look good and kiss Spock. On the other hand, Scotty was mainly there for amusement, so he hardly fared better.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun May 10, 2009 1:46 pm

SPOILER!!!:
Well, she was also there to help us see youthful Kirk being an ass and a flirt. I liked her in that bar scene and I loved her sarcasm during the Kobayashi Maru test and I loved the way she insisted on Enterprise, though I guess she may have had an "in" there.

I think my reservations about the Spock/Uhura thing amount to 1) I like to enjoy a little UST before we get to a lip lock, damn it, and 2) Spock is being very, very unSpock and unStarfleet in not attempting to keep this covert. But then, maybe all it takes is a strong, intelligent, kindhearted woman to draw the boy out before he gets locked into lifelong tortured bachelorhood mode, and this is also a Starfleet with pregnant women aboard starships, which suggests it's different than the one we knew, with married first officers serving with their wives on board and nobody blinking. Definitely a departure there. Who knows. But I'm game to see where it goes.

OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon May 11, 2009 12:58 am

Alelou wrote:
SPOILER!!!:
Fundamentally, this was a story about a friendship between two men who have real challenges to overcome and can help each other do it. I particularly enjoyed watching their profound conflict warm into something else. .

SPOILER!!!:
Star Trek was always at its best when it was about the friendship.

Not really sure if that statement really NEEDED to go into spoiler space, but whatever.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Return to “Other Trek”