He, he . . . I have my tickets!!! Who is getting excited????

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: He, he . . . I have my tickets!!! Who is getting excited????

Postby Distracted » Fri May 08, 2009 9:01 pm

I saw the movie in my new blue Spock shirt. It sure was... different.

SPOILER!!!:
I suppose it was an exciting, though rather superficial movie as long as you leave any knowledge you may have of Star Trek canon at the door. The Spock/Uhura thing sort of threw me for a loop, but hey, if it's an AU they can do anything they damn well please... like, I don't know, maybe shaving and tattooing all the Romulans 'til they look like demented pointy-eared bikers complete with California accents, completely re-building the Enterprise interior so it looks more like a sewage reclamation facility than a ship, and sucking the entire planet Vulcan into a huge black hole. Oh, wait... they did all that, didn't they?

I must say that I did like that the guy in the red re-entry suit was the only one on Kirk's first away mission to buy it, and it's pretty cool that Porthos lives on in subspace.

Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri May 08, 2009 9:10 pm

Mhhh... I'm an old backward-looking man.
I don't like when people try to make things so that they can meet the generations which - maybe - are far from Star Trek's spirit.
I prefer to lose myself into my conventional Star Trek dreams.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri May 08, 2009 9:18 pm

SPOILER!!!:
It was all an alternative universe, so yes, they took some liberties :shock:

Porthos??? I missed that.

Also, what was that cliff doing in the middle of Iowa? (Not a spoiler; it was in the trailer).
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri May 08, 2009 9:39 pm

Yeah, Porthos.

SPOILER!!!:
When Scott was talking about his experiments with subspace transport, he said something about "using Admiral Archer's beagle" as an experimental subject. I think it was Kirk who asked him where the beagle ended up, and he said he didn't know, that he likely hadn't arrived yet. I'm assuming the beagle was Porthos, although it could have been his successor since he wasn't mentioned by name.

And I'm thinking the cliff was the alternate strike zone of the Xindi probe in this AU. Hmmm. But then, Trip probably wouldn't have had insomnia from grief, therefore no neuropressure. :?

Maybe not. I guess the cliff was the Great Midwestern Fault, triggered by volcanic activity caused by the split in the planet's crust through Florida. 8)

Image sig by chrisis1033

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat May 09, 2009 1:37 am

SPOILER!!!:
Woah, I'd imagine ARCHER would be dead, never mind Porthos! I mean, it could be Jonathan Archer's child's prized beagle... I don't think Porthos could live that long! Loved the nod anyway.

It's AU, so, okay. But that Enterprise had some seriously messed-up chain of command issues. Maybe because they weren't ready to launch yet?

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat May 09, 2009 2:11 am

Okay, we're going midday tomorrow because ... the rest of the weekend was already sold out!!

Or so claims my husband. Maybe there's actually a Mets game he wants to see Sunday because I have a hard time believing the matinee on Mother's Day is sold out, but whatever, I'm happy. :)

And then I can see what the heck Porthos has to do with all those spoilers. :shock:

I'm also curious whether the movie ignited any plot bunnies for you.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat May 09, 2009 2:28 am

Mom called and we're going to see it at the Imax on Sunday.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat May 09, 2009 2:49 am

Two Klingons review the movie ... in Klingon :lol: : (Man oh man if you want movie news, you can't beat the links at the Vancouver Sun)

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... -film.aspx
Image.Image

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat May 09, 2009 6:40 am

The cliff is a quarry in Iowa.

Ezinma88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ezinma88 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:11 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:I'm going home tomorrow and I think I'll stop at the theater on the way home. (I literally drive past the theatre, which is handy.) Even if the movie isn't great, I figure watching Chris Pine should be enjoyable! :D I'm looking forward to it.

Two questions:

Firstly, is EVERYONE attracted to Chris Pine but me?.....I mean he's not ugly, or anything. But, I just don't get it.

Secondly, what's the whole trekkie film atmosphere like in the US? I know a lot of people who've been looking forward to this reboot, in the UK, purely because they're action-junkies. But, only a couple of people have admitted they're trekkies. The witches and wizards come out in force for the latest JK Rowling. But there wasn't a pair of pointed ears in sight at the previews.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat May 09, 2009 7:12 pm

I'm sure plenty of teenaged girls and gay men find Pine attractive. :lol:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat May 09, 2009 7:53 pm

I think I saw one guy in a ST t-shirt at our showing (which certainly wasn't full), but I wasn't really paying attention because I was literally blinking back tears at the end, plus I tried to make my guys sit around and listen to the end credits but I couldn't get them past the little homage to Alexander Courage's original theme music.

SPOILER!!!:
But I loved the movie. I think it went AU in the best kind of way, in an Escriba kind of way, in a way that actually heightens the characters and gives them something interesting to do -- particularly Sulu, Uhura, and Chekov. I admit to being a little peeved with Scotty because this one isn't someone I'd ever lust after. I think they did a great job of casting Kirk -- he's still Kirk, but a better actor. I never lusted after Kirk and I doubt I'd lust after this one either, but I can see him as an effective captain. Spock is good, Bones is good, they're all just fine again with the possible exception of Scotty who truly seems to have suffered a personality transplant, not to mention picking up a weird sidekick.

I loved the exterior of Enterprise far more than I thought I would -- Kirk's Enterprise always was my favorite ship and she's really lovely in this version. That shot as they come up around the rings of Jupiter -- gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. The interior -- not so much. Is she a ship or a giant hulking factory floor? There's no sense of intimacy on the bridge or anywhere else. I found that kind of weird. And I really would have liked to have heard a few of the old bridge sounds.

And yeah, JK, you're right -- the Delta Vega thing or whatever was a really weak little plot development, as was the plausibility of that meeting in an ice cave. And a bad thing for Spock to have done, too, though since Starfleet had a facility there it could have been worse. Though I don't get the feeling anyone would have gone and rescued Kirk.

The red matter was the one really unconvincing element in the whole film. It looked like a giant paint ball, for God's sake. They really should have worked on that a little longer. I also don't understand how that black hole didn't suck up Earth and the whole solar system, but whatever. Apparently the order of magnitude of disruption from giant balls of red matter isn't proportional to the effect of teensy weensy little droplets of red matter.

Also, if Nero and Spock were able to get through a black hole intact, does this mean Vulcan also exists on the other side? But I'm just a TnT fanfic writer, not a physicist.

I also don't understand how a change in the timeline put an Orion babe in Starfleet Academy at this point in history, but whatever. There's a lot of peculiar little changes (phasers that produce bullet sounds?) and you kind of have to decide whether to care about them or not and generally speaking I didn't care.

I enjoyed the reference to Admiral Archer and his beagle, though that doesn't seem historically possible to me either, unless Admiral Archer is Admiral Archer Jr. Anyway, I'm still hoping we will run into T'Pol in this universe someday, even if it's just a throwaway line. I really look forward to the next movie. I think the franchise is in capable hands. However, I can't imagine this birthing a new show anyone could afford to make, and that's a pity.

I can tell you as a Trekkie from waaaaaay back that I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and I don't think it spits on the original at all. When my son and I were getting into it about the timeline and what this movie did to it in the car on the way home (he was more freaked out about it than I was), I felt compelled to remind him that hey, the orignal series was fictional too. :)
Image.Image

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat May 09, 2009 7:57 pm

Not exactly a teenager here. Actually Chris Pine is only a few years older than me. Anyway, it was kind of funny because I mentioned the attractive lead and my mom said, "You don't mean that guy playing Spock do you? He's homely." Since Mom's interest in Trek is nonexistent, I was surprised she'd even paid that much attention to the trailers.

I think the atmosphere has been mixed, with excitement but more devoted fans expressing concern about rewriting canon. Not being a real TOS fan myself, I'm less bothered by the canon-tweaking than others.

Alelou, you have a good point about
SPOILER!!!:
Scotty. He was comic relief which was nice at first but could've been more. And the sidekick was weird and served no real purpose.

Ezinma88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ezinma88 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:54 pm

SPOILER!!!:
All this time-travelling, AU stuff still makes my head hurt. Especially when I try to imagine what it means for later-on in the Trek-verse. Also, if this is all AU, does that mean there's still an original time-line verse out there where Romulus has been destroyed, Vulcan's fine and Ambassador Spock is MIA presumed dead?

Anyway, if I just push such thoughts out of my head I have to admit that I really enjoyed the whole thing. It's a shame that the one Brit character is the one most people love to hate. But, I thought just about everyone else was well cast.

I actually enjoyed the whole Uhura/Spock romance as well, and thought it added another layer of complexity to his character.....even if it did absolutely nothing for hers.

The whole film gave me everything that I've come to expect from the Star Trek franchise: hopefulness, space-fights, flashy gadgets, techno-babble, aliens with weird features, best-buddies coming through for each other etc.

For the most part TOS had these huge overarching political stories running through it. GR was big on the social commentary. It stopped the show from being consigned to the 'fluff' category. It was sadly absent from Abrams final product. Empire's film critic put it best by huffing in a curmudgeonly tone: "Season three of the rebooted Battlestar Galactica turned half its cast into Iraqi-style insurgents — and that was on television."

But, ho-hum, I'd rather watch a fluffy version of Star Trek over a heavy-handed film like 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun May 10, 2009 1:28 am

I can't wait 'til tomorrow. Mom and I are taking Grandma out to lunch, then I'm doing Mom's hair, then we have tickets to the 3:35pm Imax showing. :D

Not reading these spoilers is killing me!!
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Return to “Other Trek”