Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Vulcan writing

Postby Alelou » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:31 pm

There's an unusual problem. I wonder if it would ruin their expensive scissors?

If you have a way to put it on a fake head or something, it probably wouldn't be too hard to cut the bangs across, etc. You could even use masking tape to mark a straight line, since you don't have to worry about freaking out the customer when you do that.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:54 pm

Masking tape! Ah, great idea! The wig is on a styrofoam head. It is not curly hair, but it fluffs up some and Vulcan hair is so flat-like. Well, it is only a cheap wig so if I ruin it, I can get another one. 8)
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:58 pm

:) Spiffin' up for Vegas? :)
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:43 am

Alelou wrote:There's an unusual problem. I wonder if it would ruin their expensive scissors?

That's exactly why. And a pair of good shears can cost anywhere from $200 to $1000, depending on who made them, how they were made, etc. And usually the more expensive the pair, the more discriminating you are about who sharpens them. (Yeah, they make way cheaper ones, too, but by comparison it's like using safety scissors to cut hair). I got my first good pair while still in beauty school, but I wouldn't even cut the mannequin hair with it because even though it was supposedly human hair, it still seemed way different than when cutting actual people, so I didn't take any chances.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:43 pm

Wow, Aquarius, I didn't know how expensive professional hairdressing scissor were! But I should have guessed, duh :duh: , that it was something like that because I won't use my good cloth material cutting scissors on that wig, and my scissors are only like $30. :? Good call, Alelou! :thumbsup:

Maybe I should offer to bring in my own scissors for them to work on the wig? Nah, I'll just do it myself with that masking tape idea.

Well, I 'd like to wear my Vulcan costume at future conventions, but since they haven't gotten anything but the gold packages out for the Los Vagas con, it is kinda out for me now. They said by January, and here it is March already. I will not pay $680 for a gold package. Maybe I'd pay $300 for a silver or bronze. But now it is kinda late to get good plane reservations. The convention vendor, "Creation", is probably out to get the best buck and their timing does not work well for me, darn. :(
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:07 pm

With the airlines hurting for business, you probably could still get decent tickets close to the con. Perhaps even really cheap tickets.

But I think the more immediate question would be whether the con will even happen. I'm sure the economy is hurting registrations.
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:11 pm

Linda--You might find someone to do it if you supplied the scissors, but still, artificial hair handles waaaaay differently than human hair, so a pro might still be apprehensive--for myself I'd probably be inclined to say "No, thanks" unless it was a favor for a really good client who's been coming to me for years, and even then I'd be a little nervous about it.

If you do supply the shears, you can get an inexpensive pair at Sally Beauty Supply, but remember, the cheaper they are, the less clean they cut. That's my opinion any way; there are pros out there who use cheap shears but honestly, they're not anyone I'd want cutting my hair. They give you a really cheap pair to start with in beauty school, and trust me, there's a HUUUUUGE difference.

Your best bet when buying shears from a place that sells to the public would be to get a pair of SwitchBlades (by Centrix, I think?); the shears are less expensive because the blades themselves are changeable and disposable, but still you're talking about at least $40 there, if not more--it's been a long time since I priced them. Still, for an "economy" shear, you're going to get the best cut out of those, I think.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:30 pm

You know what? I'd call my local beauty school. Explain the problem and see if they're up for a little challenge. Couldn't hurt to try.

Re: tickets

GOLD WEEKEND PACKAGES - SOLD OUT!
...details...

CAPTAIN'S CHAIR WEEKEND PACKAGES
With the sell-out of Gold Weekend Packages (thanks to all!) these Captain's Chair Weekend Packages become the very best way to attend all FOUR giant days of the 2009 OFFICIAL STAR TREK CONVENTION. The Captain's Chair package (which has sold out each previous year as well) truly is a spectacular bargain featuring days and nights of Star Trek themed entertainment.... here's what you get for your hard earned bucks: PLEASE ORDER QUICKLY!

1. Guaranteed reserved seatings for daytime convention Main Auditorium events ALL FOUR DAYS. These excellent seats are to the rear or sides of the now sold out GOLD WEEKEND PACKAGES.

2. You keep your same seats for our SATURDAY NIGHT Gala Celebration which is always a delightfully memorable night of entertainment featuring Star Trek stars doing what they do best: entertaining audiences!

3. ADMISSION to FRIDAY NIGHT "CAPTAIN'S CHAIR" PARTY. This is a very special party featuring delicious food, famous guest stars, and fellow fans from around the Universe. At the time of this writing we are all waiting to see if the new STAR TREK: THE EXPERIENCE will be open in time for our event. If so the plans are to have the party there, if not we will have an equally fun and unique party planned!

4. ADMISSION to our super-fun DESSERT PARTY with celebrity entertainments and fun, plus wonderful desserts to end the day in the perfect way!

5. Special limited edition collectors item, tentatively a GOLD STAR TREK COIN, the 8th in the exclusive series. We have a special theme for the coin planned that we think you'll love.

6. Your own famous CREATION TREK TREAT CARD filled with free gifts and bonus offers!

7. Pre-Registration the night before the convention. We'll give pre-registration attendees first entrance into the massive DEALERS ROOM so you can be the first to pick up souvenirs, schedules and gifts!

8. Specially color coded wristbands and collector lanyard placards allowing immediate entrance without waiting after initial registration.

9 . Special CAPTAIN'S CHAIR pricing on cool merchandise like previous years' real GAMBLING CHIPS and Star Trek plate sets.

This is an unbelievable entertainment deal in the greatest city for fun in the world: LAS VEGAS! Now, more than ever, it is time to close the door on the outside world and party with like-minded fans! Sign up NOW as the earlier the order the better the seat.

$369
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:00 pm

Now that's better. But I'll have to think about it.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:19 pm

Well, that's heartening.

Still not going, but it's heartening. :)
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Still no way I can go this year, but it gives me an idea of how much I have to save for next year. :D

Return to “Other Trek”