Jumpcon - Boston

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Jumpcon - Boston

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed May 28, 2008 12:50 am

I've always said I'd go to a convention if it were close enough. Like Boston. Here's a fabulous one - Connor Trinneer, Dominic Keating, John Billingsley, Robert Picardo, and more. Of course this happens when I'm in Australia.

http://www.jumpcon.com/BostonConvention.html

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Re: Jumpcon - Boston

Postby Alelou » Wed May 28, 2008 1:14 am

Oooh, interesting. I could drive to that one easy, and my kid has never experienced a convention. Last convention I went to was also in Boston, the summer before The Next Generation came out. Thanks for the tip, JzK!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed May 28, 2008 2:00 am

Okay, now I'm beginning to understand how CT and people like him can actually make a living doing this stuff. When I was a young Trekkie you just paid your admission and then you sat in auditoriums to hear people talk and you watched blooper reels and maybe a costume contest or something, and if you wanted to you stood in line and got some actor to autograph something -- for FREE. I never did stand in line, though, because I couldn't care less about having an autograph. And frankly I'd probably be too embarrassed to say hi to Connor Trinneer, even more so if I'm paying him for the privilege -- because that just seems kind of creepy. Don't you think it's kind of creepy? But is that the way it works? Like -- you can't just see what day CT is appearing on some panel or something and make sure you get in the room for that so you can see the guy in person and think, oh, he's actually taller than I thought -- hey, look, Alejandro, that's what Trip looks like in real life. So do they even bother with a program anymore or do you just have to pay for extra tickets to individual actor thingies?

I think I'm talking myself right out of this... I'm really much more a fanfic nerd than a fan.
Image.Image

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed May 28, 2008 2:03 am

Alelou wrote:I never did stand in line, though, because I couldn't care less about having an autograph. And frankly I'd probably be too embarrassed to say hi to Connor Trinneer, even more so if I'm paying him for the privilege -- because that just seems kind of creepy. Don't you think it's kind of creepy?
Yes! Finally, someone else! I'm more interested in the panels and, mainly, meeting other fans. Especially if other TriS people were going. But the whole autograph line doesn't appeal to me. And it is kind of creepy.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed May 28, 2008 2:15 am

At the last con I went to, each main star had a stage presentation where they took questions from the audience. General admission got you into the hall where this was going on, and there was a schedule so you knew who was speaking when. You also could buy tickets to a banquet during which the stars allowed people to approach them and take pictures with them (and grab a hug!). You could also pay extra for a professional photo op or for an autograph... bring your own photo (or in my case, T-shirt!) So, without paying extra you can see the stars and hear them speak but you probably won't get close enough to get a hug or actually talk to them unless you pay for a one-on-one.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed May 28, 2008 2:25 am

Well, that's fine. I don't mean to sound all sniffy about it, but I didn't see anything approaching a schedule or program attached to this con, so I wouldn't even know what day to aim for. I guess the actors must get used to it and it's even a living they may desperately need after Star Trek wreaks its damage on their careers, but it just seems so weird to me.
Image.Image

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:31 am

Jumpcon has been canceled and people expecting to see Connor at Stamford and fans really disappointed. At least they announced it before everyone spent time and money traveling there to Boston in a few weeks. I'm so sorry more fans are so disappointed. :(

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:42 am

Good for them for officially cancelling. I have a lot of respect for them for that. This is what should have happened with Fedcon USA just as soon as the organizers realized that the pre-reservation numbers were inadequate.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:32 pm

Is this a situation of a bad economy lowering attendance all over the place, or are there suddenly too many competing cons?

Maybe if the new movie is a hit there will be a nice little resurgence in Trekkieland.
Image.Image

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:51 pm

I also refuse to pay for autographs, or hugs. At the first con, I went to, only me and Rigil were "cool" enouph to forego the picture/autograph session--then Connor exited the room where they were doing the pictures and beamed a SMILE at me as he walked past. That was the end of "cool." Of course, I melted in a fit of giggles.

But no, I have never gotten an autograph. It doesn't matter to me.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:43 pm

Oh and I've been to the old-fashioned style cons too. With the free autographs if you stand in line. I didn't stand in line for free autographs either, but I did tag after my husband, the reporter, when he introduced him self to John Delancy (Q) he, he . . .
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:21 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:I've always said I'd go to a convention if it were close enough. Like Boston. Here's a fabulous one - Connor Trinneer, Dominic Keating, John Billingsley, Robert Picardo, and more. Of course this happens when I'm in Australia.

http://www.jumpcon.com/BostonConvention.html

I got a bad link :(
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:39 pm

The official reason were they had too many guests and panels. Also too many events that would overlap each other in a 57 hour period and realized they took on too much for a first time convention. That's what someone mentioned on another board anyway.At least the new people they hired for the convention realized they didn'tr want to make the same mistaked fedcon did.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:14 am

Holy crap, Batman. This has been a bad month for cons.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “Conventions”