Convention pictures

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

boushh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Show On Map: No

Re: Convention pictures

Postby boushh » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:15 am

^^ I just went through saving all of the pictures too. Smile Well almost all. I still have a few to do. Smile

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:38 pm

justTrip'n wrote:And the winner is:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i269/ ... ill016.jpg

Captain Pike and friends from "The Cage"

The presenter asked Captain Pike, "Do you accept this award on behalf of your team?" We wait and a button on the black box flashes. It's a YES!

That's hilarious! Guffaw

[TOS geek mode]

But it should be Captain Pike and friends from "The Menagerie", since he was put in that chair with a lot of make-up when Jeffrey Hunter were unable to reprise his role from the first pilot.

[/TOS geek mode]

Wink
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:36 am

Then you should be able to appreciate this! It's the Star Trek trivia contest.

I was lucky enouph to have TWO friends on stage for the contest in a panel of only three experts. I am proud to say my freinds are the Trekkiest Trekkies in the room, out of HUNDREDS!

You all know Elessar was in the trivia contest. Another friend, I suppose I should give him an alias, Astronomy Guy, is a friend from Pittsburgh. He used to be Editor of our astronomy club newsletter, Guide Star, and I was Associate Editor. (So he's also a writer.) He's a BIG OS fan. Of course Elessar knows every series BUT the OS, so theoretically they would make a great team. I introduced Elessar to Astronomy Guy before the contest, and I even said, "Wouldn't it be great if you BOTH got up there?"

As luck would have it, that's just what happened!

The set-up was that the panel had to answer 5 questions correctly in a row to win. The questions were made up by the audience, and they were tough questions. Unfortunately, Star Trek expert panel only got 4 right in a row and so ended up with consolation prizes. They wiped out on this question: Which species has Borg designation 125? The panel's guess: The Ferengi. NO! BUMMER, it was the Vulcans!

Here are the pictures (I know those two white guys Very Happy )

The panel assembles:

Elessar has this under control:

The panel confers:

I hope we win!

Collecting the consolation prizes:

I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:48 am

Haha! Laughing GOod pictures, JT! Yeah I was bummed because I was the one who gave the incorrect answer on our last ditch effort to win Sad but nobdoy else had a clue, lol, so I didn't feel horrible. I even remembered the scene immediately after the question, where 7 of 9 said Vulcans were species 125. I have associative memory so when I thought of it, I remembered the 5 and I remembered that it was a low number and I remembered thinking at the time that I heard it on the episode, "Wow, that's an Alpha Quadrant Species, it's surprising they were discovered that early by the Borg.." because Humans are like some 4 digit species, in the thousands, and of course in VOY era they're up to "Species 8472" as newly discovered. So, for some reason I thought of the Ferengi even though my gut was saying it was an alpha quadrant species, and my other gut was telling me that the Ferengi are SORT of an alpha quadrant species but not really because I'm quite sure that their homeworld is actually in the Beta Quadrant, so THAT partially told me that it was possible given that they were a little closer to Borg space (the Delta Quadrant) than other Alpha Quadrant species. Sigh. Oh well. There were other questions that only I knew, but not nearly as many as it seemed there should have been, given that I was the big "later-series" expert, heh.

One I knew about Enterprise was that the appeared in two series: Enterprise and TOS. None of the other panel guys knew that they appeared in Enterprise (the MU arc, Archer fought one) so I was the only one who knew that.

Oh yeah plus I wanted to tell everyone (just to give myself some credit Very Happy ), that we got 2 in a row, and then went bust, and then 2 in a row, and then bust, and then 4 in a row, so we got a bunch right, we just kept getting stopped in our tracks by tough, and sometimes rediculous, questions.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:30 pm

That's awesome! Good pics!
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

y2kelly
Ensign
Ensign

Postby y2kelly » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:21 am

Finally, I have some pics to post from the convention. Unfortunately, we missed Connor, but I will never forget the phone convo we had (thanks JT). We arrived late Saturday and attended the con on Sunday to see Nemoy and Shatner. We got to eat dinner at the Old Country Buffet with George Takei (well he was several tables over). We all watched Shadow Puppets (JB's most terrible film by far) and had a hoot of a time. Sunday night we visited Central Philadelphia, did some sight-seeing, and ate at a great resteraunt called, Penangs, in China Town. Monday, we visited the Battleship NJ (the "Big J") with Elesar, JustTrip'n and her friend. The convention was a lot of fun, as usual, and it was nice to get together with some Trek friends. We're thinking of doing another con, Vulkon in Orlando, where Connor will be attending. Not sure yet. Anyone else going?

At the convention

At the convention

In front of the Big J

On the Big J

Notice the shadow of Nemoy, he has Spock's ears! Shatner has a gut. He was a little grumpy on stage due to the 3 hours of sleep he had. They're always fun to see together on stage though.

Me hubby and Elesar

Me in front of the rifles of the Big J

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:22 am

Thank you Kelly! Those are the pictures I'm putting in Guide Star (Astronomy club newsletter!) By the way, I hadn't heard from, oh right, Astronomy Guy, since the con, so I emailed him to ask if he'd had a good time. He wrote back that this Cherry Hill experience ranks right up there with his memory of watching the Apollo 11 moon landing.

(See, I'm not the only one that goes a little nuts over Star Trek.)

Oh, and Family Friend (everyone gets an alias) told my cynical husband that he'd had a GREAT, GREAT time, and though he's not a Trekkie, he now wants to see all the Enterprise episodes. He told my husband that everyone he met was so nice, it must be due to the Star Trek ethic we all share.

One last heartwarming story:

Me, Family Friend, Elessar, Kelly, and Derek were beginning the tour of the Big J. A photographer approached us to take our picture. "Are you all in the same family?" he asks. We took one look at each other . . and "Yes," just seemed like the best answer!

Ann

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:29 am

justTrip'n wrote:Oh, and Family Friend (everyone gets an alias) told my cynical husband that he'd had a GREAT, GREAT time, and though he's not a Trekkie, he now wants to see all the Enterprise episodes. He told my husband that everyone he met was so nice, it must be due to the Star Trek ethic we all share.

That happened to my cousin at a con we dragged him to about ten years ago (the last con I attended before this one!). I think people have this image of what Trek fans are like, what the shows are like, and keep themselves away from both out of fear! But when they see how incredibly cool Cool and nice we all are, they get assimilated.

Yay Trek people!
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."
--Coco Chanel

Emberchyld's Livejournal: 45% dance, 45% skating, 5% Trying to convince others to watch Enterprise 5% everything else. You've been warned

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:39 am

One last heartwarming story:

Me, Family Friend, Elessar, Kelly, and Derek were beginning the tour of the Big J. A photographer approached us to take our picture. "Are you all in the same family?" he asks. We took one look at each other . . and "Yes," just seemed like the best answer!

Awwwwww! I loves it! Laughing
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:08 pm

At least about every OTHER person spells ELESSAR correctly! Laughing

I don't have anymore convention pictures Sad. I posted them all. My camera sucks Sad
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:10 pm

At least you were able to get rid of the "Connor as Michael without the makeup" eyes. You guys should see mine. They really suck! I always seem to choke around CT. Confused

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:20 pm

Or giggle Guffaw
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:29 pm

Here is a slideshow of Distracted watching Connor watch the video she made, from the Cleveland Vulkon convention, so long ago . . .

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:13 pm

Cool convention photos! I wanna go to a convention! But doesn't look good for that over the next year with having to use vacation time to travel to two family weddings!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:52 pm

justTripn wrote:Here is a slideshow of Distracted watching Connor watch the video she made, from the Cleveland Vulkon convention, so long ago . . .

I still like the "deer in the headlights" shot you got of me still reacting to his "stage kiss lesson" as he turns around. I was palpitatin', I tell ya... palpitatin'! :lol:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “Conventions”