Las Vegas 2008 - Huge List Going

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Las Vegas 2008 - Huge List Going

Postby Distracted » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:23 pm

Nope. I'm the one that wants to go to Australia. He'll hunt anything.

What about dingos? They steal babies, don't they? He could shoot them. :D
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:27 pm

Distracted wrote:They steal babies, don't they? :D

LOL! Now I'm hearing "A dingo ate my baby!" from that movie, and I have a mental picture of your husband in his convention garb shouldering his rifle and looking resolute...
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:27 pm

Yeah I guess but are you gonna eat that stuff?? They're probably all rabid and nasty and taste like the dead babies they ate :? :( :upchuck:

What you don't wanna shoot obnoxious Aussies? :( :cry:
ImageImage

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:29 pm

Maybe they'd taste even worse.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:36 pm

Ew... :shock:

I don't want to EAT them. That's like eating a dog. No thanks. (And the people probably don't taste too good either. :? )
Image sig by chrisis1033

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:40 pm

Distracted wrote:Ew... :shock:

I don't want to EAT them. That's like eating a dog. No thanks. (And the people probably don't taste too good either. :? )

My attitude about that sort of thing is that if it's in a foreign country, and they can make it look like chicken, beef, or fish - I'll eat it. Unless it's a testicle.

Ok so the list of prospective attendees is now

Distracted (needs the hubby onboard - and more people to say they're going)
Elessar (needs a job)
TPoptarts (needs the money)
Priso (needs to sell the house)
Enterprikayak (needs to sell the house)
JustTripn (needs more convincing from Elessar)

Anybody else? :D

The thing about Vegas is that attendance fees are by far the most expensive.

Here's the thing about Vegas... you either invest in gold patron tickets for $700 back in January - or you invest in 1 or 2 of those little dinner/lunch ceremonies where you get to talk to the stars at your table. Those are the greatest.

Because basically the general admission tickets are great if you have a favorite star that only a few people really care about because nobody will be in the room and you can sit way closer than your tickets indicate. However, if you want to see any of the big names - Nimoy, probably Jolene since she hasn't done a convention SINCE FRICKIN PASADENA!, Shatner, Bakula, etc... You're going to be in the nosebleed section with General Admission tickets so you don't want to bank on that being the highlight of your trip. Unless you have like a $1000+ camera, because then you become the envy of the entire site by having these amazingly good looking pictures like Boushh's friend did in Cherry Hill. By the way. You WILL see a dozen or more $10,000 lenses there.

Even today if you get "Preferred" tickets... you'll be 50-75 rows from the front. Your row will be "UU" or "WW" as mine was when I got "Preferred", lol. I think A-G is Gold and G-Z is Captain's Chair or something ridiculous like that.

But the dinner/lunch deals are really neat. And the entire atmosphere is awesome fun, you get a star at a table of 4-6 people and just get to BS and ask questions. The face-time is basically the entire REASON people want to go to cons.

The bottom line is that you don't really go to Vegas specifically to get close to the stars unless you have a Gold Patron ticket, or you're satisfied by about 20-40 seconds at the photo-op. Those are really neat but they're kind of fast. You go for the entirety of the convention. And who knows, you could get lucky and wind up takin a piss next to Shatner. I've heard of it happening before :lol:

I would knock Creation before and say that I want to go to one of these little conventions that I hear about where you get to hang out w/ the stars in the bar and talk to them in the elevators and all that good stuff. Yeah. Then I went to NonCon in Dallas :lol:. Which was FANTASTIC because of meeting Priso, Ek, and D and hubbies; but it's something that will NEVER happen at a Creation Convention. We had to find out that Anthony Montgomery wasn't there (Dallas) by grilling a door-man at the auditorium as to why the place was empty. In Vegas, there won't be a single schedule change without a big blaring announcement all over the hotel and the convention center.

And the dealers room is amazing. It's a Trek Palace. You can find everything from a 1966 board game with anatomically correct figurines of Kirk and Spock to a baby klingon-embroidered ringer that says "Q'plah!"
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:49 pm

Elessar wrote:Distracted (needs the hubby onboard - and more people to say they're going)

Ditch the hubby :p that's gonna save you half the cost (and let you drool freely over CT) :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:
ImageImage

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:53 pm

Elessar wrote:probably Jolene since she hasn't done a convention SINCE FRICKIN PASADENA!

I saw her in Pasadena and she liked my ears :mrgreen: and I asked her "what do your real ears look like" :p :lol: :mrgreen: :twisted: :badgrin:
ImageImage

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:14 pm

TPoptarts wrote:
Elessar wrote:Distracted (needs the hubby onboard - and more people to say they're going)

Ditch the hubby :p that's gonna save you half the cost (and let you drool freely over CT) :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Actually it was her hubby that almost got us front row tickets to lunch with CT on Saturday after the NonCon Meltdown. He goes, "Hey Connor! You wanna join us? We got nachos!" :lol: We were thinkin it, he said it :D

TPoptarts wrote:
Elessar wrote:probably Jolene since she hasn't done a convention SINCE FRICKIN PASADENA!

I saw her in Pasadena and she liked my ears :mrgreen: and I asked her "what do your real ears look like" :p :lol: :mrgreen: :twisted: :badgrin:

And I hate you. :lol:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:17 pm

I'd like to go, but while I might be able to arrange for the time off (Federal jobs are cool 8) ), with the cost of me staying at a hotel over the summer, there's no way I can float the exorbitant prices of Creation Con. :?

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:29 am

Distracted wrote:Probably. Anybody know if you can kill anything in Australia? 8)
Well, there are a lot of people with too many possums, but for more info you could look at AusHunt. (Good luck bringing a gun into the country, though. AQIS is strict. Very, very strict.) I've heard about an excess kangaroo population too.

Does your husband fish? Tasmania has some of the world's best trout fishing, according to my numerous guide books.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:32 pm

He's not much on fresh water fishing, but he does spear hunt while scuba diving. Hmmmm. 8)

Might be kinda dangerous to do that in Australia, though. The sharks in the Gulf of Mexico are teenie compared to the whoppers that hang out by the Great Barrier Reef. And we'd have to go get recertified. We haven't been scuba diving since our honeymoon 24 years ago in Grand Cayman. I wonder if I still fit in my wetsuit? Somehow I doubt it. I know he doesn't. :?
Image sig by chrisis1033

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:52 am

Here's how to do it cheap. We get a suite. Boys go in one room, girls in the other.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:47 pm

Sounds great, JT! But I suppose there is a limit on how many people can sleep in a room or a suite? Maybe it depends on the hotel. And if you even ask the hotel, they might be checking up on you to see that you don't exceed the limit?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:52 pm

I've stayed at hotels alot over the past 6 years or so because of soccer tournaments. I think you can legally fit 5 in a room. And noone ever checks.

But, I don't have high hopes the couples will approve of this plan. :(

Then again, mabye I could convince my mysterious husband to show up. He is a star Trek fan . . . but I usually end up going places myself.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Return to “Conventions”