Las Vegas 2008 - Huge List Going

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Re: Las Vegas 2008 - Huge List Going

Postby Elessar » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:43 pm

Distracted wrote:
Alelou wrote:Okay, now I'm really worried about CT. Bad enough living the bizarre life of a second-tier Trek celebrity, he has to get sauced before a BREAKFAST table with fawning fans? I mean, yeah, it must be creepy putting up with all our nerdy adoration, but still ... he could become an alcoholic! Become even more unemployable! Lose his looks early! The horror!

(I'm slightly worried about you too, Elessar...)

Never fear. I saw Connor at lunch Friday, Friday afternoon on stage, and Saturday morning at breakfast, and all three times he seemed a bit tired but perfectly sober. Dominic, on the other hand, looked tired and red-eyed at lunch and might have been a little tipsy on stage. Or maybe he was just being Dominic. As far as Elessar goes, well, I've only met him the one weekend, but he does seem to be very tolerant of rather large doses of liquor. That might seem to be a good thing, but it's actually a little worrisome, since tolerance requires a certain amount of regular intake.

See, Elessar? We worry about you. Kinda scary, huh? Like having an unknown number of online moms. :lol:

No kidding! :lol: Nah, I appreciate it, but I don't think you need worry.

I really don't drink that often... and the funny thing is, D's perception of my ability to "hold my liquor" is actually funny to me because the next morning I was worried I had been rather obnoxious, but apparently not.

I really don't drink that much though! Especially now, with running/lifting, it messes with my athleticism. On top of that, my sister's in AA, so drinking in the household or at dinner is generally frowned upon. Which bums me out a little b/c I got some really nice bottles of wine from my friend's wedding and from prisocisor.

This may be old wives' tail but it also seems to me that without drinking A LOT in quantity, that at different times I've become acclimated to certain drinks, like whiskey, gin, what I was drinking with Priso.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Distracted » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:19 am

Tolerance to a particular flavor of alcohol would make no sense. That would be like saying that a diabetic can eat brown sugar but not white sugar. As far as your body is concerned, alcohol is alcohol, no matter what was fermented to get it.

I'm glad you don't drink often. I think you must just be one of those people who are naturally tolerant to alcohol, Elessar, since I saw you down enough mixed drinks in one evening at Fedcon to land me in the ER, and all they did was make you more friendly. :lol:

My advice to you would be to be very careful. The negative consequences of alcohol use are what keep most of us from drinking too much. If you can function really well while under the influence you're actually more likely to get addicted with regular use. Someone like me who can't stay awake after one glass of wine is much less likely to get addicted because I can't consume enough alcohol to cause dependence and stay functional. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:27 am

Distracted wrote:Tolerance to a particular flavor of alcohol would make no sense. That would be like saying that a diabetic can eat brown sugar but not white sugar. As far as your body is concerned, alcohol is alcohol, no matter what was fermented to get it.

I'm glad you don't drink often. I think you must just be one of those people who are naturally tolerant to alcohol, Elessar, since I saw you down enough mixed drinks in one evening at Fedcon to land me in the ER, and all they did was make you more friendly. :lol:

My advice to you would be to be very careful. The negative consequences of alcohol use are what keep most of us from drinking too much. If you can function really well while under the influence you're actually more likely to get addicted with regular use. Someone like me who can't stay awake after one glass of wine is much less likely to get addicted because I can't consume enough alcohol to cause dependence and stay functional. 8)

I could see that, I think that's a valid point. I knew a girl in college who was asian who had the enzyme deficiency, and b/c her fiance/bf drank, they drank, but she always had to be careful, which she was fine at, because after like a beer, she was tanked.

I try to be real careful about it. In my opinion, I have plenty of control over my drinking, even when I choose to drink.

I went on a float trip with this girl recently, and she's a little younger than me, so she hasn't had nearly as much experience drinking, and she went a little overboard. Plus, she says, she has like no tolerance, and we were out in the sun. I was so nervous, because I really really like her, and I was so afraid she was going to have an accident on the river, so I was watching her like a hawk. It ended up being fine, for one because she's 5 times the swimmer I am, and once or twice she would jump in and not come back up for like 30 seconds, and me and her brother freaked and jumped in after her, only to have her resurface 50 yards down the river and look back at us and laugh. Crazy girl... she had me so worried, sigh.

Me, however, I did fine. I never did plan to get wasted or anything, but once it became clear she was going to get smashed, I made sure to keep slow, AND I was drinking beer and not hard liquor. I went beer, water, beer, water, to stay hydrated, because we were out in the sun. Over the course of like 7 hours I think I had 5 or 6 beers. The girl, on the other hand, went through an entire handle of a hawaiian punch and vodka (mixed), as well as 2 or 3 beers. I was tryin to look out fo rher but I also didn't wanna be a drag.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:31 am

Or you may be so sauced that you actually have no idea that you've been an obnoxious jerk and treated people you love like crap. Sigh. I don't think I will ever get over my hatred of the stuff. That's my problem, though. My hubby has been sober for 3 years this month. I'm so proud of him! :) I don't miss those nights of so much stress you feel like you're going to be sick just from the worry. Just be careful because it does have a tendency to run in families. Old lady will shut up now.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:39 am

Bether6074 wrote:Or you may be so sauced that you actually have no idea that you've been an obnoxious jerk and treated people you love like crap. Sigh. I don't think I will ever get over my hatred of the stuff. That's my problem, though. My hubby has been sober for 3 years this month. I'm so proud of him! :) I don't miss those nights of so much stress you feel like you're going to be sick just from the worry. Just be careful because it does have a tendency to run in families. Old lady will shut up now.

No, I understand. My oldest sister has been a lifetime alcoholic, has 4 girls she's not raising beacuse she can't, and one who has fetal alcohol syndrome. I have a small idea of how much it can mess people up.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:58 am

Alcol, Tabacco e Venere
riducono l'uomo in cenere.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Venus
reduce man to ash.

But what a satisfied ash! :lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

boushh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby boushh » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:45 pm

Just posting a few mini stories about my encounter with the ENT guests and some of my pictures to the various boards, so here you guys go. :)

They played my video before Jolene's talk and then Jolene came out and talked about Starship Troopers and took questions from the audience. Some highlights included that she was going to be getting two puppies the next day, she plays Guitar Hero, and if she was marooned on a deserted planet and could only pick one guy (choices Archer and Trip) she'd pick Trip. Hee. I believe that last bit somehow segued into her mentioning that whoever did that clip (my video before her talk) did a really good job at making it seem like the relationship had some sort of resolution or something like that. She was rather more relaxed than when I saw her last. It was interesting because she talked about how when she was young she lacked any social skills whatsoever and a school teacher encouraged her to try acting and that started to bring her out of her shell.

So anyway, while on line for her autograph I noticed the three poodles that were dressed in TNG costumes and getting rolled around in a cart. They had sparked Jolene's puppy revelation. I pointed them out to the couple in front of me and we started chatting about whether or not our dogs would stand for being dressed up like that. I asked them what kind of dog they had and they said they had a Cavalier. I asked them if they knew that Jolene has a Cavalier. They didn't know. I told them to mention that they have one when they got up there. So once we got up there it seemed that they had mentioned it, which was a good way for me to ask her what kind of puppies she was getting the next day. Answer: Cavaliers. I think I said something like, "Oh cute. Congrats. I have a Cocker." and she said, "They're cousins [you know]." Like we had something in common, LOL. So I said that I knew. I also said that I was the video contest winner (I don't know if she realized that is what was played before she went out. If she didn't then she must have by the time I finished) and she did this little clap and smile thing in congrats. I then said that there was no shortage of great footage of her to use for the video and then she said, "or Connor" and I agreed. Then I said bye and she said see ya or something and that was that. Hee.

My mini-CT story:

At the end of the day I had to go to the photo op with CT. I got to go ahead in Anthony's autograph line because for that reason. And I still can't believe they scheduled those things at 8:20pm! I was running on adrenaline at that point. Anyway, so I got to the front of the line and the usher lady said something about "pretty in pink" since I was wearing pink. LOL. She distracted me from Connor and next thing I knew I was being told to go. Unprepared? Of course. You'd think I'd have been prepared with something other than, "Hi. How are you?" No idea what he said. He put his arm around me and I did the same and in like two seconds the picture was over. He turned towards me and maybe shook my hand again and said, "It was good seeing you again... We have met before right?" and I was like, "Yeah a few times. Then I made the split decision to mention that I had sent him my video (he had asked me to send "A Message" to him last year) and you could see him putting things together in his head... and I elaborated by saying it was at the Cherry Hill, NJ convention and it was a Trip and T'Pol video. He practically freaked out and said, "Yeeees! It's awesome. I play it for people all the time." How I did not pass out, I don't know. I think I said "Really?? and something about being really happy he got it and he liked it so much. Then I asked if he really plays it for people and he said yes or something equivalent and I sorta did a mini-happy dance and touched him on the shoulder and said thank you and see ya next time and I left. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH. I should have sat there a second or something, but I always feel like I'm taking up time from other people.

I asked Scott if he was going to come and do theater in NY anytime soon. He said he wants to. I said, "Come on! You have to!" and he said, "I know. I want to! We'll see."

Some pictures of the actors on stage here.

I may add a few more later on today. :)

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:02 pm

Awesome pics! I missed everything on Sunday. What did Scott have to say on stage? How did Zachary react to the fans? Was it his first con? Was he freaked by the enthusiasm, considering the fact that he hasn't even PLAYED Spock yet? 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

boushh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby boushh » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:11 pm

Scott was a lot of fun on stage and there was quite a bit of joking about time traveling since someone brought up that Quantum Leap and ENT had time travel elements. :) He sang short bits of songs a few times because people kept asking him. He even did Elvis, which was great. :) He's working on a new TV show soon. He hasn't seen *the_abomination* because it'd be too emotional for him to do so... something like that. He said that A/T'P was in the imagination of the fans, which he said was great. I guess he meant that within the show it wasn't pushed so much, but who knows what would have happened if the show went on... I disagree with that and would have been really annoyed if A/T'P happened after T/T went through all of that and were bonded for crying out loud. :P

He mentioned a bunch of favorite episodes... Twilight, ANIS, Similitude, IAMD. About the last one... I'm paraphrasing but...

Scott: And Linda Park...

Audience member: Wow!

Scott: (nods like he's saying you said it brother) Yeah, Wow! Linda was just Wow.

LOL! Something like that anyway. :)

Zachary Quinto said he's comfortable with these things and it's because he's already part of Heroes and has done conventions for that show before. He said it's part of the reason why he was there and no other cast members were there. He said that he tried to get Chris Pine (Kirk) to come but he had prior obligations. If I had to guess it was because of something to do with "Bottle Shock" which he's in and is out now. I think there was something relating to that movie at the same time the convention was going on...

ETA: They've shot the Trek movie already and Quinto and Nimoy have both seen rough cuts of scenes and both were really talking up the film...

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:25 pm

The photos are very lovely, this is a fact.
But, could you believe it?
There are two things I can't fully enjoy.
The smile of Jolene and... the hair of CT! :lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:50 am

I'm glad everyone had a great time with no hitches this time. :D Thanks for the reports and pictures. :)

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Thanks boush! Unbelievable! To know that Connor shows your work to his friends! And Jolene saying she liked the way you showed a resolution to their relationship. I am getting a vicarious kick out of this! We are proud of you.

One request: Go repost some of your images of the stars in the convention pictures thead. Post the best ones as images (rather than links), if it's no problem.

I'm visting this site (I'm on vacation agaiin) from a phone so excuse me if I missed something.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks for all the pics and the story boushh. 8) Wished I could have been there myself, but between you and Dis sharing your experiences, it's the next best thing. I also think it's made of awesome that they used your video to introduce Jolene Blalock.

boushh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby boushh » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:43 am

You're welcome guys. I'll post some pics in that other thread too. :)

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:01 am

Oooohhh, pretty Jolene pictures! :loveeyes: Thanks, boushh! :thumbsup: Very nice report.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Return to “Conventions”