FEDCON, Dallas, TX (June 13-15, 2008)

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: FEDCON, Dallas, TX (June 13-15, 2008)

Postby Distracted » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:33 am

Yeah, but we're all over the place. How would we pick where to meet?
Image sig by chrisis1033

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:41 am

Flip a coin :p

A TnTCon would be so totally awesome. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:50 am

TPoptarts wrote:Flip a coin :p

A TnTCon would be so totally awesome. :mrgreen:

Hah, wow. That's an idea I never considered.

TriCon

8)
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:53 am

And how could we afford guests?

Hmmm. I know. We'll have it in Washington state on Connor's front lawn. We'll make so much noise he'll either let us in for a visit or call the cops. :wink:
Image sig by chrisis1033

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:03 am

Wait doesn't CT live in LA anymore?? :? :?: (I'm really not updated on stuf in the actors' personal lives :? :roll: )

Whatever though the guests aren't really important... the whole fun is meeting the cool people :mrgreen: oh and the costume contest of course. :twisted:

Hey let's make a TriSCon here in LA and then I could take you on a guided star-stalking tour. :p :twisted: :mrgreen:
ImageImage

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:26 am

Where in WA does he live? Believe it or not I might even be able to attend a get together in Seattle if I had enough advance notice.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:46 am

He comes from what we refer to as the "Longview-Kelso area."
Hold it anywhere in Washington and I'm game. :D
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:01 am

Distracted wrote:Yeah, but we're all over the place. How would we pick where to meet?

Pick a landmark. I'm partial to Vegas or Mount Rushmore, simply because I've been to both places and wouldn't mind going back since I didn't get much of a chance to look around when I was there.

As for guests, I was thinking this would just be a mutual get-together kind of thing. Not that it matters, I don't have time or money for such a thing. :?

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:07 am

Distracted wrote:
JadziaKathryn wrote:Does anyone else think that Priso had his stoic Malcolm Reed impression down quite well?

How would YOU look if you'd just found out that the event you'd just traveled over 2000 miles to get to (in order to make your pregnant wife happy because she's the most important person in the world to you even though you really aren't much of a Trekker) had just been cancelled?

Poor things. Both of them. :(

I hope they have an unbelievably good time at the Grand Canyon. :hug:
Eeek! My comment was supposed to be a compliment!!! *throws hands up defensively* I thought the resemblance looked quite striking. It was supposed to be a good thing, honest.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:09 am

I am intrigued! I have a timeshare in the mountains of Virginia, but it would be hard to fly into the area. Or mabye not. And I'm booked for this year. But not next year. It's a resort so it would be nonstop fun--swimming, hiking, skating, basketball, tennis, racketball . .. TV watching!!!! Cookouts.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:12 am

Another place would be the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson Air Force Base. In Ohio History of air and space travel anyone? It's awesome. Double fun for those who like guns and bombs. Would take two days to get through. Actually T'Poptart's idea sounds good. Or isn't there some permanent Star Trek "Experience" in Vegas?
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:14 am

justTripn wrote:Another place would be the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson Air Force Base. In Ohio History of air and space travel anyone? It's awesome. Double fun for those who like guns and bombs. Would take two days to get through. Actually T'Poptart's idea sounds good. Or isn't there some permanent Star Trek "Experience" in Vegas?

Hangar 18 with aliens and UFO parts is at Wright-Patterson :D
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:34 am

justTripn wrote:Another place would be the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson Air Force Base.

Wouldn't mind going back there again either...

Or isn't there some permanent Star Trek "Experience" in Vegas?

Closing this year sometime IIRC.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:38 am

CX wrote:
justTripn wrote:Another place would be the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson Air Force Base.

Wouldn't mind going back there again either...

Or isn't there some permanent Star Trek "Experience" in Vegas?

Closing this year sometime IIRC.

This year's con in Vegas might be the last one w/ it then.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

pookha
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby pookha » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:43 am

Elessar wrote:
pookha wrote:nah sorry not there.
but i am trying to piece together what happened and make some notes.
there are a lot of contradictions and most now seem to center around the hotel and some of the guests.
tim claims he paid the hotel about a week before the con 20,000 upfront but there is some info that says the hotel was not paid.

There was this cool bellman that helped me out all weekend that when I was leaving, said that when you have a convention of a certain size, you get the convention areas free as long as you bring in enough patrons - enough hotel rooms. He said anyway, that that number was not reached and that's why the hotel asked for more money. If Tim/his people are characterizing it as if they unfairly asked for more money, maybe they just didn't read the fine print and didn't know that if they didn't have X number of patrons, that they'd have to pay for the room. Who knows.

I'm sure I could just jog over to TrekUnited and all of this would be being blared all over their page. At least their version, anyway.

yeah it is one way the function space can be covered or even say hotel rooms for special guests.

the hotel will comp you x number of space and/or rooms per certain numbers of rooms booked per night.
thing of it is with their official room block reservation date being june 1 they would have known by then how much trouble they were in.

you might get some reservations after your that but the vast majority will be made before then because people want to get the reduced con rate.
some hotels if there is still rooms left may let rooms be booked at the con rate after that but it can be chancey.

and even then the con staff especially who ever the hotel liason was should have been checking on the bookings even before then.

but june 1st could have still given them some time to work with the hotel about possibly downsizing the con and being honest with the guests about how they may not be able to bring them all in.

after going through a lot of stuff it does appear in some fashion the bsg names were still being used when it was in doubt about their actually coming even though by then tim probably knew he couldnt bring them in.

with less fans they might have been able to use a lot less function area and still be able to run the con.

june 1 would have been enough time to work with the hotel, the guests and let the fans know.

or if need be actually cancel the con with enough time people might be able to cancel flights ect and not be out so much money.

if tim was indeed blindsided by the demand for more money and he did indeed have a comp agreement with the hotel ...then tim is the most idiotic person ever to run a con.
or he was lying about it being unexpected.

ps what TPoptarts is describing is called a relaxcon among sf conventions.

for the fans with no guests or a fan guest of honor with little or no programming.

they are very cheap to run since they need so little space and they are a fun way for fans just to mingle and have fun together.

Return to “Conventions”