FEDCON, Dallas, TX (June 13-15, 2008)

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: FEDCON, Dallas, TX (June 13-15, 2008)

Postby Alelou » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:11 pm

My old X-Files pals call that a "convergence." But then we're a small enough group that we usually just hang out at somebody's house.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:04 pm

I might be able to drive to Wright Patterson.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:07 pm

YEAH! The mysterious Blacknblue REVEALED!!!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:16 am

???

ok...

I confess it. I live within a day's drive of Dayton, OH. My sins have caught up with me.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:53 am

Y'all could always come up to the badlands. :D

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:46 pm

Grand Canyon was awesome!

Going for my ultrasound now! Maybe we'll see some genitalia????

:crosses fingers:

More con pix and anecdotes soon!
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

prisocisor

Postby prisocisor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:59 pm

Wow... Looks like I missed a lot...

First off:
JK wrote:Does anyone else think that Priso had his stoic Malcolm Reed impression down quite well?
Don't you worry, I took this as a compliment ;)

But:
Dis wrote:How would YOU look if you'd just found out that the event you'd just traveled over 2000 miles to get to (in order to make your pregnant wife happy because she's the most important person in the world to you even though you really aren't much of a Trekker) had just been cancelled?
She has it almost exactly right... yes, I was furious at the organisers of NonCon`08, and not selfishly, which probably made my ire all the more objective. Sure I was upset for Jennifer, but I could literally taste the disappointment of the group at large: The teary-eyed Klingons who had spent all morning readying themselves, the stunned merchants who had come from far and wide to pedal their varied wares, the would-be stars of IQ 145, and really all of the guests, fans, and organisers alike. We have in fact already begun a letter addressed to the Hyatt, for the less-than-professional way they chose to end the event. I think if Distracted`s husband had been in the picture instead of taking it, you would have seen a very similar expression on his face.

And while I`m on the topic of Distracted, I would like to reiterate just how amazing she actually looked! In John`s and my opinion, she definitely would have cleaned the floor in the costume contest!

In fact, I had a fantastic time! Dis and her husband are both awesome people, I`m glad to say I know... and Elessar was an absolute riot! We had a blast! We had great conversations, and opportunities to mingle with celebs that I would have thought impossible. Thanks mainly to EK`s total disregard for social convention, we had several chats with stars, and got many more pics than you all have seen yet: EK made me promise to let her post them, so yàll will just have to wait for that :lol:

Oh, and John B. is my hero. And his lovely wife Bonita. Loved them both and their absolute aproachableness (not really a word, but you get the drift). I have a whole new respect for the good doctor ;)

Lastly, yes, EK is in fact always that excitable, forward, and effervescent... She, is, the best! K, so maybe I am a tiny bit biased :lol:
Last edited by prisocisor on Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prisocisor

Postby prisocisor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:09 pm

***After-Thought Alert***

I'm going to do everything in my power to get EK and I to the Con in Vegas this August... Soooo... anyone interested in meeting up, there might just be the place ;)

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:15 pm

Yay! :happyjump:

Now I need to convince my husband that about 2000 bucks for a four or five day Star Trek vacation is worth it... after I already had to talk him into a 1000 dollar weekend that turned out to be a near fiasco, saved from disaster only by the positively awesome company. :wink:

*rubs hands briskly together* Okay. Here goes nothin'. Wish me luck. :?
Image sig by chrisis1033

prisocisor

Postby prisocisor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Good luck D! :D

And of course, JT will be at this one for sure... Wouldn't miss it for the world right?! :lol:

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:43 am

Well here is my problem: I will be in Hawaii (20th wedding-anniversary/late honeymoon) the week before the week of the con and at our timeshare by the 10th for another week. (The boys will be guarding the house.) Fitting in Vegas would be extravagant . . . :? Maybe if I fly in, share a room with someone. Skip the expensive tickets. Eat only Cup 'O Noodles in hot tap water . . . (Or bread and water, like last time. LOL!)

Hmmm . . . .

Of course last time, I was too hyped up to eat. If T'Poptarts, Black 'n Blue, and CX go for the first time, in addition to the usual suspects I would probably put it on a credit card and go.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:53 am

justTripn wrote:If T'Poptarts, Black 'n Blue, and CX go for the first time, in addition to the usual suspects I would probably put it on a credit card and go.

I'm trying :?

Distracted wrote:Yay! :happyjump:

Now I need to convince my husband that about 2000 bucks for a four or five day Star Trek vacation is worth it... after I already had to talk him into a 1000 dollar weekend that turned out to be a near fiasco, saved from disaster only by the positively awesome company. :wink:

2,000!! :shock: :faint: Like how the frell did it come up to THAT!! :shock:
ImageImage

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:42 am

Honestly, I'd love to go, but even if the hotel cost was minimized, there's still air fare, the con ticket, and anything extra I'd want to do like autographs and the like, and I'm already dropping like $2500 - $3000 on housing this summer so I can work. If I wasn't, I'd probably go, because I'd have accrued enough annual leave to do it by early August, and the busy part of the summer would be over as far as the stuff we do at the FSA office.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:31 am

TPoptarts wrote:
justTripn wrote:If T'Poptarts, Black 'n Blue, and CX go for the first time, in addition to the usual suspects I would probably put it on a credit card and go.

I'm trying :?

Distracted wrote:Yay! :happyjump:

2,000!! :shock: :faint: Like how the frell did it come up to THAT!! :shock:

Like this:

Airfare for 2 at roughly $500.00 apiece round trip = $1,000.00
One hotel room @ 135.00 per night for at least 3 nights = $400.00
Minimal admission to the con for 2 for at least 3 days @ $35.00 per person per day = about $210.00
That leaves just $390.00 for meals, autographs and souvenirs, and doesn't include ANY special parties, concerts or events. Check out the prices on those. One party can be up to $199.00 per person.

I suppose I should revise my estimate. This thing will probably cost at least $2,500.00. :?
Image sig by chrisis1033

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:11 am

You don't have to stay at the same hotel as the con... there's like way cheaper (good) hotels. I gave the Circus Circus as an example it was like $40something a night and it's like 2 blocks from the Hilton. Well walking that distance in 120 degrees makes it feel like 200 miles but it's really just 2 blocks or so.

Air fare = OUCH!! :? :shock:

I figure if I could manage it it would cost me like what $150 for the genaral admission package, the Greyhound round trip was like $60 last time I checked, as for hotels I guess that depends like where and how many people :? um yeah. For me THAT'S a lot though. :(

$2,500 :shock: :faint:

(Like I said. Ditch the hubby. :twisted: Then it would be half the price :mrgreen: :twisted: :p :badgrin: )
ImageImage

Return to “Conventions”