Vegas 2011

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Vegas 2011

Postby Elessar » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:18 am

So, it looks like nobody else has put up this thread before me so - probably nobody planning on going. I invite you to take a look at the guest list this year it's pretty impressive - if you're a DS9 fan, Terry Farrell is going for the first time in years, as is Nicole DeBoer for the Dax fans such as myself :mrgreen:

So I just pitched this wild idea to starwatcher that we actually fly back together from the UK in August to attend and I'm waiting for her to consider the expenses :poke: :shifty:

But really it's cheaper than the European trip we were thinking about, not to mention, there's Vegas :loveeyes:

Anybody else possibly interested in goin?
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Vegas 2011

Postby Distracted » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:04 am

Sorry, Boss. I've been to Vegas once and have no desire to go again now that the "Star Trek Experience" is closed.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:03 pm

What is / was the "Star Trek Experience"?

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:22 pm

For a decade or more the Las Vegas Hilton had one of those virtual reality rides that was ST themed along with a ST museum and an in-house ST themed restaurant called Quark's Bar. The hotel gift shop was also filled with ST merchandise when I went in 2008, but that was during a ST convention so I'm not sure if it was always like that. The ride and the museum were collectively called "The Star Trek Experience". The hotel shut both of them down later that year. I'm not sure if Quark's Bar is still open, but I suspect not.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:51 am

Distracted wrote:For a decade or more the Las Vegas Hilton had one of those virtual reality rides that was ST themed along with a ST museum and an in-house ST themed restaurant called Quark's Bar. The hotel gift shop was also filled with ST merchandise when I went in 2008, but that was during a ST convention so I'm not sure if it was always like that. The ride and the museum were collectively called "The Star Trek Experience". The hotel shut both of them down later that year. I'm not sure if Quark's Bar is still open, but I suspect not.

I didn't think it was that great, personally, I went to 2 different Vegas cons and one of them I actually accidentally snuck into the Experience because I didn't realize you had to pay, I just walked in and nobody asked me anything and it wasn't all that great. Quark's Bar is a neat place to eat but it doesn't actually look like Quark's... It's just a bar with some of the same color tones and designs and I think they had people paid in costume to hang out at the bar (various species). And there was a gift shop where you could buy stuff like Romulan Ale. Idk for me I Just want to go back to go to the con itself, just because it's the largest con of the year and tons of guests are going.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Won't be going to Vegas, but WILL do the Chicago con in October!!!!

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:22 pm

It will be the 45th anniversary of Star Trek! Who remembers when it was the 40th anniversary and we were all so anxious to get to a convention for this important anniversary because who knew whether Star Trek, and conventions, would ever be this big again? lol . . . . The new movie sure has worked wonders for the franchise. :bow:

So, can I go to this Vegas Con? I REALLY REALLY shouldn't. No I can't. With the recent hockey tournament, the upcoming kayaking trip Twilight/X-Files/Star Trek convention with ek, and our regular familybeach vacation, I won't be able to justify it. Not to mention, it looks like there are plenty of nearer conventions that I am also missing. :? --- Chicago in October actually sounds pretty good. Hmmm . . . .
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:41 pm

justTripn wrote:It will be the 45th anniversary of Star Trek! Who remembers when it was the 40th anniversary and we were all so anxious to get to a convention for this important anniversary because who knew whether Star Trek, and conventions, would ever be this big again? lol . . . . The new movie sure has worked wonders for the franchise. :bow:

So, can I go to this Vegas Con? I REALLY REALLY shouldn't. No I can't. With the recent hockey tournament, the upcoming kayaking trip Twilight/X-Files/Star Trek convention with ek, and our regular familybeach vacation, I won't be able to justify it. Not to mention, it looks like there are plenty of nearer conventions that I am also missing. :? --- Chicago in October actually sounds pretty good. Hmmm . . . .

What upcoming kayaking trip / twilight/xf/star trek convention with eK!? :crazed:
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:09 am

Well before you get too jealous, it's not REALLY a Star Trek/Twilight/X-Files convention. It's a kayaking trip with me and ek and her sister in Canada. ek's sister is NOT as nerdy as us, so we are mostly teasing her by calling it a Star Trek/Twilight/X-Files convention. HOWEVER both Twilight and X-Files were filmed in the area, so . . . . :happyjump: He, he . . . Actually this adventure sounds most like an episode of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" lol . . . I can't wait.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Return to “Conventions”