Chicago ST Convention Oct. 22 - 24

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Chicago ST Convention Oct. 22 - 24

Postby Aikiweezie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:26 pm

My husband and I are going Friday & Saturday. Elessar??????? Linda??????

Elessar
Site Owner

Re: Chicago ST Convention Oct. 22 - 24

Postby Elessar » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:03 pm

Hey Aiki, I'm sorry I don't always check this forum - the DC trip got me over here though. Did you end up going? Did you have fun? Star and I have talked about possibly making a Chicago con at some point down the line so we'll have to keep an eye out for one...
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:12 pm

Yes, we went! It was disappointing for a lot of reasons, but fun because of some others.

Leonard Nimoy had surgery and cancelled for Friday. He was the big thing scheduled for Friday, pretty much the only thing actually. So.....Jeffrey Combs, Vaughan Armstrong, Armin Schimmerman, and the others filled up his time as best they could. Unfortunately Saturday was basically a repeat of Friday. Add to that, almost all the people we saw were Deep Space Nine cast members, and that is trhe only ST show we hardly ever watched.

We couldn't do the whole weekend, so we chose Friday and Saturday just to see Mr. Nimoy. Sunday the "Duras Sisters" were there and you could get your pictures taken with them, but we missed it.

I did have a nice chat in the elevator with Vaughan Armstrong, aka, Admiral Forest. Turns out he is fron the Chicago area. He and the others did a musical performance on Friday night (it was very funny) and he had about 20 family members in the audience. I chit chatted a bit with Jeffrey Combs (Shran) and Max Grodenchik, who borrowed some of my makeup to cover up a spot on his face before his photo op.

We were celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary that weekend and had a lovely dinner at a local restaurant Friday. The hotel was excellent, so the weekend was good all in all. I really really hope the line up is better next year. If it's not, I don't think I will go.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:04 pm

I would have loved to have seen Armin Shimmerman. Too bad you didn't see DS9. Also I don't care much about Jeffrey Combs for Shran, but for Weyoun !!!! :D (DS9).
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:38 pm

I loved Shran! I really wanted to get him to call me a "pink skin!"

Armin Shimmerman is a real character - a very gifted actor.

I just watched the "Captains of Star Trek" on A & E and it said that Vaughan Armstrong played 12 different characters on 4 different ST series - a record!

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:12 pm

yeah I think that the close 2nd is Jeffrey Combs... having played a lot of different characters too. I loved DS9, so when I got to meet those actors it was a real treat. I think JG Hertzler was one of my favorites, he was just so animated and SO IN CHARACTER as Martok without being at all cliche or campy sort of like a lot of other Klingon characters were. I, too, actually had a really down to earth conversation with Vaughn Armstrong one day at the Vegas Con. That's cool to hear you guys did too, tells you he's a really chill guy with the fans.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Imagine being Vaughn! That would be amazing to have that much Trexperience.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Return to “Conventions”