IT WAS OFFICIAL! >:^) IT WAS A TRISCON IN DC, PEOPLE!

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: IT'S OFFICIAL! >:^) IT'S A TRISCON IN DC, PEOPLE!

Postby justTripn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:56 am

Wish you were here, Alelou!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:47 pm

Wow. Today I'm looking at the pictures Par took and look at this:

I shouldn't be posting pictures. I got to run to the rally!!!! :D

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:50 pm

Great pix. Hope the rally is just as exciting.

I've done the Air and Space Museum a couple of times -- once with a big Star Trek exhibit there -- so I know what ya mean.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:56 pm

So, dudes, how was it? Did you overcome the traffic hurdles to actually make it there?

I had to take my son to swimming so I missed a lot of it, and some of what I saw when I got back looked kind of lame. But I thought it ended strong.

And hey, it had corbomite. Okay, fairly lame corbomite, but corbomite. And R2D2. Nerds for sanity! 8)
Image.Image

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:31 am

It was a total blast. I did make it there, just barely. By some miracle my sons got in as well, but we didn't meet up. The transporation system was totally overwhelmed. The only sour note to the whole thing was knowing how many ralliers were left behind in long, long standstill lines to get into the subway to wait for trains that were already filled. We sat for an hour in standstill traffic in the two miles to the exit to the parking garage for the subway. We rolled in to the parking garage and took one of that last five legal parking spots (on the roof, of course). We got to skip the 300ft long line of people waiting to get tickets to the subway since we had our tickets from the day before. We squashed into a full subway car and rode like sardines into Washingon D.C. We arrived just in time for the singing the Star Spangled Banner. We couldn't actually hear the song, but we could tell that it was the Star Spangled Banner. With no hope of getting near enouph to hear or see, I happily went to plan B: Walk around with my signs. One of my signs got a big reaction (about 10% wildly enthusiastic) and everywhere I went people snapped my picture, so I just wandered up and down with my sign enjoying the other ralliers who were as entertaining as anything John Stewart or any comedian could think up. They were wonderful. There were many, many costumes, including people dressed as founding fathers, and horrible Halloween characters. Relevant to this site, there was a group of Browncoats (Firefly fans) impersonating the whole cast of Firefly. The signs were hilarious, and I guess I can't repeat them here. Everyone keep to the moderate theme: "I'm as peeved as heck, and I don't think I can take it very much longer" lol . . .One's person sign said, "I'm listening to your opinion." Stuff like that. I didn't see enterprikayak and Priso, but they staked out a spot way up front and I called them on the way home to find out they had an amazing time, but I'll leave that story to them.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:42 am

It's 12:22 and we just got home.....Jon Stewart ordered up (and received) such gorgeous weather for his rally that we got sunburned, but as we neared home, our plane ran into massive rain and it poured on us as we looked for our truck in the airport parking lot. FOOOOOOOORKS!!! :lol:

I have to go to bed in a minute and then I have to work till 2 pm tomorrow, but AFTER that I am sitting down and:

#1: posting all my pix
#2: posting all my video
#3: making a montage
and #4: writing an article for the paper entitled "A Canadian Thank You Note to Jon Stewart"

So, check out the few pix I do have posted at photobucket (digital gods smiled on me, and I actually scored the username 'rallytorestoresanity' just a few DAYS ago!!!!)

To sum up:
Oct 30, 2010 was quite literally the single. most. amazing. day. of Lee and my lives, and we will never ever EVER forget it.

Imagine partying with appx 200000+ of the sanest humans in America (and from elsewhere!). Peace, love, shared donuts, coffee, hashbrowns, blankets, chairs, cameras, etc. I heard not one word of anger in the 8 hours I stood in my spot on the Mall (7am-3pm) (we got there 5 hours early to make sure we were at the front). Not even one nasty comment. Not one misspelled sign. Not one raised voice (unless it was cheering the King of Sanity, Jon). There was corbomite. R2D2. Cat Stevens. Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Tony Bennet. Ozzy Osborne. Sheryl Crow. Kid Rock. Guido Sarducci (who humbly asked God to show us a sign as to which was the true religion, just, y'know to iron out that point once and for all. No sign was forthcoming. We the people took it to mean we are all included in whatever goes on. etc etc etc

There was an awesome couple from Oregon next to us, and an awesome family from Texas, and a pregnant and glowing couple from DC and about 5000 others. We took each others' pix and shared emails and talked about Star Trek :lol: There are a lotta sane Trekkies. There were babies and kids and college students and little old ladies in wheelchairs and people of all ages colors religions, etc etc etc.

My soul has been refreshed, as well as my strong faith in the good and decent power of normal folks. =)

After the rally we laid in bed for a minute to decompress our spines and then we got our dancing shoes on and saw Robert Randolph and the More Love Family Band. He's like killing on this guitar and wearing a set of size DDDDDD boobies under his Tshirt (for halloween).

AND THEN! John and Ellie texted us and picked us up at 1230 am in the Lincoln Towncar (and they were both dressed so nicely I didn't know which was hotter :lol:) and we went back to our hotel room, and Ellie fell asleep on our bed, and John and Lee and I drank some wine and talked about leptons and the multiple universe theory and the history of calculus until 330 am, and then they stumbled to the metro, and we passed out untill 11 am the next day.

What a great day.
More to come!!!!
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Starwatcher and I went out for dinner to this great Indian place called "Rasika", and I don't think she'll mind if I post some pics

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/ ... -30-10.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/ ... -30-10.jpg

Btw, EP, we actually ended up taking another towncar back to Ellie's because that's what the taxi guy hailed for us and nothing else was available :lol:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

EntAllat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Google Talk: EntAllat

Postby EntAllat » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:52 pm

enterprikayak wrote:There are a lotta sane Trekkies.

That goes without saying. :-) :-)

Sounds like y'all had a blast. I caught it on TV and thought it was awesome to see a "political" rally where some of the signs rivaled the T-shirts you'd find on Thinkgeek. I've seen a lot of pictures and so far my favorite sign is one that read "My Arms Are Tired." Honorable mention goes to, "I Already Regret Carrying Around A Sign All Day."

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:17 pm

Such a cute couple (and also one of the cutest little black dresses ever, Starwatcher).

Love those signs, though it begins to sound like it was really a rally to restore irony.
Image.Image

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:30 pm

If you can't find a time for sarcasm - or irony - you obviously aren't looking hard enough.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:56 pm

The energy of the crowd felt like the best dream you ever had.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

starwatcher
The Boss's Lady

Postby starwatcher » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:07 pm

Alelou wrote:Such a cute couple (and also one of the cutest little black dresses ever, Starwatcher).

Why thank you *blushes* I got it especially for the weekend and I did think that I looked particularly dapper! John scrubbed up pretty well too! And the restaurant was lovely, I had the most gorgeous chicken dish and John and a lamb curry which was also pretty tasty. And cosmopolitans too :-)

It was great to see Ann and Jen and Lee, such a nice way to spend a weekend - plenty of good friends, good food and good chattage! May the next mini-con be imminent!

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:08 pm

Yes, I can confirm everything ek said! We were definately at the same party!!!! :D :D :D It's hard to get back to work, I have to debreif to everyone about how amazing it was.

WOW!!!! to the cute couple. I see you too, Elessar, in that mirror. Nice suit! :thumbsup:

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Here's me:

I think an eKAYAK TrisCon would be nice. We could kayak out peacefully take over the Broken Group as a board and form a semi-nomadic trek-loving society of reasonableness. FOOOOORKS!

And, after the break: several Americans and at least one British tourist followed an unknown Canadian couple out into the Broken Group Island last week, and have seemingly disappeared off the map. Searchers have scoured the area to no avail.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:19 pm

justTripn wrote:Yes, I can confirm everything ek said! We were definately at the same party!!!! :D :D :D It's hard to get back to work, I have to debreif to everyone about how amazing it was.

WOW!!!! to the cute couple. I see you too, Elessar, in that mirror. Nice suit! :thumbsup:

Both he and ellie looked just elegant! :)

(I don't know for certain, but I am willing to bet those two had a pretty great time this weekend. :lol:)

Return to “Conventions”