Conventions in Europe

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Bookworm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Conventions in Europe

Postby Bookworm » Wed May 16, 2007 8:13 am

Is someone going to a convention in Europe?
I don't have the money to travel across the Atlantic, but it would be nice to go to a convention.
I've never been to any conventions and it would be easier to go if I knew that someone else was going too.

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Conventions in Europe

Postby Distracted » Wed May 16, 2007 3:04 pm

Tell you what. If you can find a convention at least 9 months in advance (preferably in English or French, since I don't speak any other languages well enough to say more than, "Hi. I don't speak _____. Do you speak English?" and "Where's the bathroom, please?"), then I'll see if I can talk my husband into a European vacation at that time. It would help if the convention was in the summer when the kids are out of school or if it's hunting season for something big in the near vicinity. Laughing
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed May 16, 2007 5:37 pm

I would be interested too with at least nine months advance notice or preferably a year's notice. I too would be limited to English language conversation but might be able to get along in Spanish with enough time to find a group here at home to practice speaking a bit before I go to a convention. But I'd be willing to learn some basic phrases in any language, though I probably am too old to learn enough to be competent on a conversational level, LOL.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Bookworm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Bookworm » Wed May 16, 2007 8:33 pm

Very Happy That would be great. I'll keep my eyes open if I see something for maybe summer 2008. The language probably isn't going to be a problem, because in many places in Europe you can cope with English.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed May 16, 2007 9:00 pm

I understand there's still some limited big game hunting in Italy. Cool
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Bookworm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Bookworm » Wed May 16, 2007 9:33 pm

Distracted wrote:or if it's hunting season for something big in the near vicinity.

Too bad they don't have conventions here in Finland there would be lot of things to hunt here bears and elks the larger ones.
evcake wrote:I understand there's still some limited big game hunting in Italy.

I have to check that I haven't actually heard about what they hunt in other European countries.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed May 16, 2007 9:55 pm

Hmmm. Elk hunting in Finland. Believe it or not, my husband would probably really enjoy that. I'm not much for snow, though. No insulation. Confused
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu May 17, 2007 12:53 pm

Well, you have about as much insulation as Jolene Blalock, Distracted! But heck, that sure is easy on the eyes. All you need is a down coat, gloves, lined boots, and you'd be ok in snow.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu May 17, 2007 1:56 pm

I've never really thought about a trip to Finland. You'd probably feel right at home there, Linda. I'm more of a 90 degree weather girl, myself, though. The cold seems to seep in right down to the bone no matter how much down I'm wearing.

So... Bookworm...any conventions in Finland? What sights are there to see in your country? What do y'all do for fun? I guess skiing is probably popular. I've been skiing once. Brrrr. I was gonna go again this year but my plans fell through. I still have the brand new ski clothes I bought, though. Guess I'd better use them before they go so out of fashion that I look odd wearing them.
Image sig by chrisis1033

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu May 17, 2007 5:02 pm

It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu May 17, 2007 9:46 pm

Thanks, evcake. I'll show that link to my husband. Maybe he'll get a hankering for an ibex. I've never been to Spain. Very Happy
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri May 18, 2007 1:11 pm

I have never been to Europe but I have relatives in Scotland.

starwatcher
The Boss's Lady

Postby starwatcher » Sat May 19, 2007 2:49 pm

There are conventions in London from time to time. The last one was in January 2007 but it was just after xmas so I was pretty skint so couldn't go. There might be one next year. My mum and dad went to one in London about ten years ago for the 30th commemorative anniversary, which they said was pretty good. I'll keep my eyes open for any in the UK.

Bookworm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Bookworm » Sun May 20, 2007 1:52 am

Distracted wrote:So... Bookworm...any conventions in Finland? What sights are there to see in your country? What do y'all do for fun? I guess skiing is probably popular. I've been skiing once. Brrrr. I was gonna go again this year but my plans fell through. I still have the brand new ski clothes I bought, though. Guess I'd better use them before they go so out of fashion that I look odd wearing them.

The conventions they have here are mostly for scifi books and writers or anime, so I don't think there will be a chance to see Connor or Jolene or any other scifi actor here. Sad

Skiing is popular in the winter time. I got my first skis when I was three. Winter isn't that cold here in the southern Finland most of the time it's only little under 0C. We have a warm summer. We sometimes have even +30C or little over that. There is the Gulf Stream warming us up.

We have of course some historical things here like old buildings and few medieval stone castles and lots of old medieval stone churches and things like that, but since we are the European periphery it's not as grand as in central Europe.

I guess we do for fun the same things that people do elsewhere like have sport hobbies, go to movies, have parties and so on. One thing that might be different is that most of the families have some sort of summer cottage where one can be near the nature and usually dont have any luxuries like indoor plumming or even electricity. Usually the cottage is in a forest near a lake and a Sauna is essential part of every summer cottage. Sauna is also very important part of our culture. Almost every house or apatment building, sports centre, even some corporate buildings and our parliament house have a Sauna in them and most Finns go to Sauna at least once a week.

What I like the most is the nature here. I like it that even when I live in the capital area and have all services like sport centers, cafees, shops, university, movies, theaters, restaurants and so on near by, it still takes less than half a hour to get into a forest and nature preservation area. And because there are so few people we have lots of nice forest and lake areas to go hiking or (hunting, but I don't do that myself). And in the summer it doesn't get dark. I like it in the most northern Finland where the sun doesn't go down at all during summer and in the winter time I know that people come to northern Finland to see polar lights.

I guess I got little carried away writing this. Embarassed Here is a link if someone wants to know more http://virtual.finland.fi/

Just thought about another thing some of us Finns like to do. Distracted you would probably find it really horrible since you don't like cold. We have a hobby to swim in the icy water. In the winter time we cut holes to the lake or sea ice and go swimming in the icy water. It's a popular hobby and people say that it's very good to your healt. Very Happy

starwatcher wrote:There are conventions in London from time to time.

London could be nice to go to a convention. It's been several years since I visited London.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon May 21, 2007 6:07 am

If there's one in London in the late summer there's a fragment of a chance. Me and a buddy are planning a tour of Britain if I make enough money this summer.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “Conventions”