Parsippany, NJ Con?

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: Parsippany, NJ Con?

Postby justTripn » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:47 pm

Kate Mulgrew

I don't mean to sound heretical, but Kate Mulgrew was amazing and my favorite part of the conference. First off she looks amazing. Wearing a black dress, and without the bun, today she looked even better than she did on Voyager. She began her presentation saying that this had been the best year for her, that for no reason in particular she is the happiest she has been in twenty years. She spoke briefly but passionately about two causes she has been involved with: Gitmo, and Altzhiemers (sp?) research. Then to the questions. There is no accounting for taste. The woman who choked up telling Kate Mulgrew how much it ment as a girl to see her as captain also brought tears to my eyes. I was already in line to tell a similar heartwarming story. I got to the front and I told this story: My now 20-year-old son J. had been and still is a big fan of Voyager along with the whole family. He had been begging me to get season 7 of Voyager and I got it so he was home for a vacation last year and we watched the final episode together, for the first time since it aired. In it, Janeway (an older Janeway from the future) is bossing people around and taking charge to bring the ship home. J. is watching this and says, "Who does she think she is? Hilary Clinton?" And I had been thinking exactly the same thing at that moment. So Kate Mulgrew beamed and the audience laughed approvingly. And then I added that my son was in fact an early Hilary Clinton supporter, though he ultimately voted for someone else. So I suggested that maybe "seeing you as a captain had had a subliminal influence, such that a young man had no problem considering a woman as President." I forget, what she said, except she was pleased and then I asked my related question: "Did you like that subplot where Janeway was interested in romance holonovels." I said I did like the idea, because it showed you could hold a position of importance while having a private hobby that was typically female. She said she didn't like that holonovel romance idea at all, but that she was very proud of the Leonardo di Vinci subplot which had been her idea. (Where she hangs out with Leonardo di Vinci on the holodeck in her free time--showing that Janeway has an enginnering, creative hobby, rather than a romantic hobby). I said, "Well you portrayed a captain that was admirable and competent. Thank you."
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:29 am

8) This just proves once again that JT is a much nicer person than I am.

Post when you're safe at home, please, JT!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:53 am

Thanks for the reports, JT & Alelou! It's almost like I was there. Okay not really...........but I enjoyed your stories.

BTW - Middleman posted a great picture of himself, his daughter and CT on the Trek BBS.

CT is going to be at the Stargate Convention near Chicago in 3 weeks and I want to take my son and do the picture with him or just get the autographed one, I don't know yet. I'm so nervous of acting like a doofus, though.

I'm a huge Cheap Trick fan and I went to an autograph session last week and had them sign their new CD and got some nice pics, but I was too nervous to ask if I could take one with Robin Zander, my idol (they said we couldn't but other people were anyway) and I know I sounded like such a goofball when talking to him. :oops: I don't think I qualify as an all out weirdo, but tongue-tied and goofy, yup.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:31 am

Sounds you had a great con. It was great to read the reports, I liked the report about CT, I can see his point that he is glad with Trips attitude in Bound and the report about Kate Mulgrew made me remember the good old days I watched Voyager. :D Thanks.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:18 am

Aikiweezie wrote:BTW - Middleman posted a great picture of himself, his daughter and CT on the Trek BBS.

Okay, I realize this is a stupid question, and I could probably just google it, but where does one find the Trek BBS?

And I'm sure I'd be a total goof too around my actor idols, which may be why I'm content to sit in the back. I turned into a tongue-tied idiot just trying to talk to a favorite poet at UNH, even though at the time she was telling me a funny and completely non-poetic story about her cat peeing somewhere it shouldn't have.
Image.Image

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:36 pm

Alelou, here's the link to the Trek BBS Enterprise Board. Middleman's pic is posted in the THUG Collective thread. The thread, ny the way, is ffull of some REALLY nice CT pics.

http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:58 pm

Wow, there's a whole other world over there. And yes, lots of great CT pix. Thanks.

I think I'll avoid the other world, though, unless I need a CT fix. I already spend too much time here.
Image.Image

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:21 am

Alelou wrote:Wow, there's a whole other world over there. And yes, lots of great CT pix. Thanks.

I think I'll avoid the other world, though, unless I need a CT fix. I already spend too much time here.

Yeah, it's very interesting for me to see how some of the newer folks respond to that world :lol:, because it's like... it's like reading Lord of the Rings and then dabbling in the Silmarillion but never reading it. It all started over there! :lol: That's where the bloodiest 'ship battles were fought, hehehe... Not really at HoT because HoT was a TnT safehaven. TrekBBS, though... her shores are stained with the blood of patriots and tyrants... and AinTers :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

By the way, as I once met the rare and radiant miss Emberchyld, I am seriously perturbed by the lack of pictures in this thread lending credence to the suggestion she was present in an MU Enterprise Trill uniform :mrgreen:

I live in the Show Me state, after all :)

I'm grateful for your guys' coverage of the con and I'm glad that you once again represented us proudly! :thumbsup:

So, we've tried to do this a million times -- actually organize a con with everyone. Or, a bunch of people. Anyone still up for trying? Cleveland, Cherry Hill, Non-Con '08 were brilliant and it sounds like at least 4 TriSilk'ers made it to Parsippany. How cool would that be? :thumbsup:

Besides... Your fearless leader didn't make it :dunno:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:25 am

Wow, I just realized that Vegas is this week. My, how time flies.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:39 am

Okay, here we go. I'm sure JT has better ones, though.

JustTrip'n and Emberchyld

Emberchyld showing us that her Trill markings were fully extensive!

The Klingon who won the costume competition.

JT and Alelou NOT in the costume competition, just lingering in the hall.

I have a general shot of the costume competition but since JT probably has better I'll wait and see if she posts firsts.
Image.Image

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:45 am

Awesome! I've always wondered where the Klingon guys get the synthetic face masks... they're pretty intricate... although his skin was a little darker than it... still, you could probably tan too much and it wouldn't look the same anymore, hehe.

I'm glad we're still representing with the shirts! :-P And Echyld's spots are...awesome :D
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:07 am

Actually, the flash washed out the top part -- it matched better in real life. He made it himself. We discussed all that at some length, actually. He was REALLY into it. 8)
Image.Image

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:12 am

Oh sweet. Yeah it looks like predator.

Klingon fans tend to be really... um... "devoted" :mrgreen:

I met one guy the first vegas con i went to who had his dentist custom build a set of klingon dentures to fit his mouth!
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:23 am

A Cardassian:

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:28 am

In the Klingon's defense, he wasn't living in his mother's basement. Alejandro and I watched in awe from our hotel window as he jumped into a bright yellow convertable and pushed a button and the roof folded up and disappeared somehow, really cool, and he peeled out. He was also married and had other hobbies!

Return to “Conventions”