Creation convention in Chicago October 5 - 7

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Creation convention in Chicago October 5 - 7

Postby Linda » Tue May 15, 2007 5:08 pm

I am going to this one, probably just for Saturday as it is less than a two hour drive from Milwaukee. Its a 20 year TNG anniversary convention. So far only the two TNG actors from the ENT abomination episode are on the guest list. Guess that won't attract many from this site. I am going mainly for the vendor room. Honestly. I have this collection of ship ornaments that I want to fill out. If there is a vendor room only pass, I might just get that and skip the guest talks. But I was thinking of entering the costume contest with my Vulcan garb. Still not sure about that, though.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Creation convention in Chicago October 5 - 7

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue May 15, 2007 5:13 pm

Linda wrote:So far only the two TNG actors from the ENT abomination episode are on the guest list. Guess that won't attract many from this site.

I dunno. From what I understand, Marina Sirtis is actually a very charming woman and I really liked Deanna Troi when she was on Voyager. If I weren't so afraid of meeting trek actors and if I had some money I might consider going.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue May 15, 2007 6:12 pm

Trek actors are nice to their fans. At Starbase Indy my husband and I sat with 'Nog', 'Admiral Forrest', and 'Malcolm Reed' in the hotel bar. 'Malcolm' bought a round and the Admiral fetched a bottle of wine from his room to share. They were very down to Earth people! Usually it is hard to get close to the actors, especially the big name ones. You can't get close enough even to even say hello to Shatner or Nimoy these days. But they are fun to listen to on stage. I treasure that bar time at Starbase Indy. But it was a small convention and more informal.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 pm

I know they're nice to their fans. I've been told over and over again. The fear doesn't stem from anything like that - it stems from the notion that meeting them might somehow ruin what I think of the characters they portray.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed May 16, 2007 2:34 pm

Oh, dear. Well meeting one actor kind of did that for me, but only one. He was kind of juvenile in behavior at the convention and I won't mention his name here because I like his character. But for most of them, (and I have only been to a few conventions), my respect for them actually grew. I do like Marina in TNG. I just don't like what they forced her to do in that last ENT episode. But that is not her fault. Its a paycheck. Its her job, and actors are having a tough time getting jobs right now with all this reality TV. Yeah, I should listen to her talk because I have not seen her in person before. Thanks for sticking up for her!

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed May 16, 2007 5:45 pm

CoffeeCat wrote:I know they're nice to their fans. I've been told over and over again. The fear doesn't stem from anything like that - it stems from the notion that meeting them might somehow ruin what I think of the characters they portray.

Which is why, as much as I like Jolene, I have no real desire to meet her. Glad to see I'm not the only one who is like that...

Although Anthony Montgomery was far more interesting than Travis Mayweather...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed May 16, 2007 5:52 pm

I actually had a conversation with A.M. in a private chat held by his webmaster. Very fun guy. I had no problem meeting him because I thought it would be an improvement on Mayweather's character. It was. Very Happy
Writing as TrekPyro.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Yes, Anthony Montgomery is a very nice person. And has gorgeous eyes! His character should have been used more in the show.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:46 pm

We will be going to this con just on Saturday. There is a costume contest that I want to spiff up my Vulcan costume for. My wig needs to be cut more to a severe Vulcan style. Problem is, no self respecting hair dresser will touch it - something about synthetic hair being hard to do well if you are trained for Human hair. Guess I will have to butcher it myself. This has not been a big convention year for me. I've been thinking about the 'official' ST con at Las Vegas in 2008, if there is going to be one.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:57 pm

Well the weekend of this convention is almost upon us. Since it is mostly a TNG thing, and now shares convention space with two other Sci fi TV shows which I don't follow, I am giving it a miss accept for a pass to the vendor room. I want more blinking starship ornaments to string on my holiday lights. Also, my husband and I will round it out with dinner in Chicago. It is only an hour and a half from home, so dinner and a vendor sounds like a decent outing.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:18 am

Linda wrote:Oh, dear. Well meeting one actor kind of did that for me, but only one. He was kind of juvenile in behavior at the convention and I won't mention his name here because I like his character.
You do know that only makes curious minds want to know, right?

Besides being broke and more or less in the middle of nowhere, my interest in Trek conventions isn't all that big because the actors are, well, people. Like the rest of us. It'd be fun to meet other Trek fans and such, but it's expensive.

But if there's a Trek convention nearby the major city I'll be in while in Australia, I just might have to go for a day anyway.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:39 am

CoffeeCat wrote:
Linda wrote:So far only the two TNG actors from the ENT abomination episode are on the guest list. Guess that won't attract many from this site.

I dunno. From what I understand, Marina Sirtis is actually a very charming woman and I really liked Deanna Troi when she was on Voyager. If I weren't so afraid of meeting trek actors and if I had some money I might consider going.

I almost got to see her in 1994 at the height of her gloriousness, but I did see Jonathan Frakes in 94/95 (his son had just been born) and he was awesome. He and Michael Dorn I liked equally. Armin (Quark) seemed more like it was "just a job" being there, but I think he has a more reserved character. I also saw Shatner in 1995 and he insisted on it being at the PNE fairgrounds (for the horses) rather than at the Hyatt regency like all the other cons were.

Those were the days. FOUR cons a year in Vancouver for a few years there. Granted: it was the 90's and so it was Creation and there was only one actor and whatnot, but autographs were free (cuz there was no EBAY!) and everything was simple and innocent (no internet!) and fanfiction was all mailed in and bound and sold in paper form!

(What, y'mean y'couldn't post it a wee bit at a time for like 3 years? wtf?)
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:52 am

Ah-hah! So you have been doing this a long time? (Fanfic that is.) I thought it was just an amazing miracle you could write like that.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:58 am

no i was 15 back then. i was all what is this? "Fan" fiction? Yeesh, what geeks. I never bought any.

You can see I've spiralled downward some from there since.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:01 am

enterprikayak wrote:no i was 15 back then. i was all what is this? "Fan" fiction? Yeesh, what geeks. I never bought any.

You can see I've spiralled downward some from there since.

Downward, upward...

Return to “Conventions”