Cherry Hill, NJ Convention - July 19 - 22, 2007!!

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

TSara
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Cherry Hill, NJ Convention - July 19 - 22, 2007!!

Postby TSara » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Emberchyld wrote:So, as the annoying lady started poking Connor to leave the table, he asked us if we were going to the Cabaret show later, and T'Sara said that she had to go home because of work (CT was funny in his reaction to that!)

Yeah that was funny.

CT: You have to work? ON A SATURDAY? *In a surprised voice*

Me: Dude... *smiling* I work for the Government! *giggle* It's a 24/7 job.

CT: Oh right....it's not your average 9-5 job. (Or something like that)

His reaction was quite amusing...

It was so freaking cool to finally meet him....I hope the other people at our table weren't pissed that we hogged him. Confused

heh.
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:43 am

T'Sara wrote:It was so freaking cool to finally meet him....I hope the other people at our table weren't pissed that we hogged him. Confused

heh.

I know.... I realized about halfway through the conversation with Mark Alaimo that the two of us combined was a conversational force to reckon with... eek, our poor tablemates. Sad

*waving*Uhm, hi Quark's apprentice! welcome, and... eek... sorry!
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."
--Coco Chanel

Emberchyld's Livejournal: 45% dance, 45% skating, 5% Trying to convince others to watch Enterprise 5% everything else. You've been warned

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:01 am

Nope. Not pissed at all. I still had a pretty good view. Wink

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:24 am

Bether6074 wrote:Smile Spending time with such brilliant people was very educational. And I've learned that getting two people together that have the tendency to laugh uncontrollably for reasons that are apparent to only themselves will lead to much confusion for the surrounding company. Laughing

I will second that: both about the brilliant people and the uncontrollable giggling. Here's the whole hilarous story (though so far, no one "gets" it but me and Bether):

After the conference began, Bether and our group were so busy there was no time to eat. We kept saying, maybe we'll run out to eat after this next presentation. Then, the next event would so good, we'd be unwilling to tear ourselves away. Finally, there was truely a twenty minute break while some people signed autographs. We hurried up to the room and looked at the groceries we'd brought. Bether grabs a slice of plain bread and a bottle of water. And I grab a handfull of tortilla chips and a glass of water and start eating frantically, trying to beat the clock. Suddenly, this all seems kind of pathetic and we start giggling . . . and giggling . . . and giggling. But finally we pull ourselves together (sort of), and go next door to see what the guys are up to. Elessar is discussing why the "intermix ratio" of matter to antimatter in the warp enginge wouldn't necessarily be 1 (equal parts matter and antimatter). He reminds us that in First Flight, they keep talking aboutl adjusting the intermix ratio, so it must not be 1. It makes perfect sense to Elessar that the intermix ration might not be one, especially in an early model warp engine, and his speculative fictional physics are so convincing that soon we are all nodding in agreement. Then I turn around and notice that Elessar's roomate, Bob, is sitting on the bed drinking a bottle of water and biting into three slices of plain bread. Bether and I loose it again in another giggling fit. (I swear it's alot funnier, when you are both hungry and sleep deprived.)
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:35 am

boushh wrote:Our first stop was going to be in Philadelphia to get some cheese steaks (not cheesecake like we kept saying). We wanted to try one of the places we hadn't tried last time we were there. So we ended up at Pat's and had to eat our cheese steaks in the car because it was so crowded. Talk about assembly line ordering! It's just nuts how busy it is. We were lucky to find a spot just a block away though so we were able to get the sandwiches and go back easily...

How'd ordering go?

Ooohh, next time you're in Philly (and in the area of Pat's and Geno's), go to Termini Brothers Bakery. Not only do they have cheesecake Laughing , but they have the best cannolli ever, hands down. My North Jersey/NY Italian coworkers even had to admit defeat when they tasted the ones Termini Bros serves at their "outpost" at the Reading Terminal Market. One brought a box home.

boushh wrote:Once we got in the hotel we ended up on a line that didn't seem all that long... We were stuck by the automatic doors which randomly started closing themselves, so we joked around about getting taken out by the doors at a Star Trek convention with the girl behind us in line. Turns out that was emberchyld! Little does she know I was trying to eavesdrop on her conversation behind us later on in the line. I heard the words Trip, T'Pol and shippers and I perked up. Couldn't hear much else though! What were you talking about anyway? Wink

I've been meaning to reply to this for a bit and kept forgetting!

It was funny, we were just going on about all of the great 'ships in Trek (of course, Tn'T) and how they messed up most of the ships in Voyager. The girl wayyyyy out-Voyagered me. I can't remember all of those ep names! We complained about how lots of people disliked Voyager and Enterprise but how we loved them, and we talked about how we got into the series. This was yet another person that I had met who came to Enterprise later (I think she was mid season three, if I remember right.). Had I known, we could have easily pulled you in! Very Happy
--Coco Chanel

Emberchyld's Livejournal: 45% dance, 45% skating, 5% Trying to convince others to watch Enterprise 5% everything else. You've been warned

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:36 am

justTrip'n wrote:
Bether6074 wrote:Smile Spending time with such brilliant people was very educational. And I've learned that getting two people together that have the tendency to laugh uncontrollably for reasons that are apparent to only themselves will lead to much confusion for the surrounding company. Laughing

I will second that: both about the brilliant people and the uncontrollable giggling. Here's the whole hilarous story (though so far, no one "gets" it but me and Bether):

After the conference began, Bether and our group were so busy there was no time to eat. We kept saying, maybe we'll run out to eat after this next presentation. Then, the next event would so good, we'd be unwilling to tear ourselves away. Finally, there was truely a twenty minute break while some people signed autographs. We hurried up to the room and looked at the groceries we'd brought. Bether grabs a slice of plain bread and a bottle of water. And I grab a handfull of tortilla chips and a glass of water and start eating frantically, trying to beat the clock. Suddenly, this all seems kind of pathetic and we start giggling . . . and giggling . . . and giggling. But finally we pull ourselves together (sort of), and go next door to see what the guys are up to. Elessar is discussing why the "intermix ratio" of matter to antimatter in the warp enginge wouldn't necessarily be 1 (equal parts matter and antimatter). He reminds us that in First Flight, they keep talking aboutl adjusting the intermix ratio, so it must not be 1. It makes perfect sense to Elessar that the intermix ration might not be one, especially in an early model warp engine, and his speculative fictional physics are so convincing that soon we are all nodding in agreement. Then I turn around and notice that Elessar's roomate, Bob, is sitting on the bed drinking a bottle of water and biting into three slices of plain bread. Bether and I loose it again in another giggling fit. (I swear it's alot funnier, when you are both hungry and sleep deprived.)

Heh....yeah I get what you mean.

That entire day I was there I was starving.....but at Dinner time I could barely eat a thing I was so wound up!
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:23 am

I actually dropped 4 pounds in 4 days from not being able to eat. I must be nuts.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:37 am

I ate 3 plates full of food (and 2 desserts) at that dinner buffet. Surprised I'm not kidding. And while we were subsisting on bread and water, I kept thinking about how Distracted would probably be reeming us for this. Shock JT suggested at one point that we get our own IVs and roll them around with us, so we wouldn't have to miss an event. Laughing

boushh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby boushh » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:14 am

justTrip'n wrote:I will second that: both about the brilliant people and the uncontrollable giggling. Here's the whole hilarous story (though so far, no one "gets" it but me and Bether):

This story is brilliant. Laughing I can so picture this. LMAO! Smile

emberchyld: Ordering went OK... I tried to sound like I wasn't a total newbie. I think it worked. Wink It is kind of intimidating though!

And I will definitely check out the bakery! I love canolis. Do they have the little ones? Those are the ones I really like. I'm not the biggest sweets person, so I'm happy with smaller portions. Smile Though now I'm craving cheesecake. Wink

Thanks for filling me in on the conversation. LOL. I didn't want to butt in, but I was really curious. I'm always on the lookout for fellow T/T shippers. Little did we know we were right next to each other. Smile

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:36 am

justTrip'n wrote:I actually dropped 4 pounds in 4 days from not being able to eat. I must be nuts.

And you're so slim already!... when everyone was getting ready for the dinner and you offered to lend me something so that I wouldn't be messily dressed, I took one look at you and was convinced that there was no way I'd fit into anything that fits you! (there was so much convo going on that I didn't get a chance to thank you for offering, though!)
--Coco Chanel

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:07 am

I'd be willing to bet that I'd lost a few pounds before the all-you-can-eat buffet. I was so starving by then that I likely ate enough calories to make up for barely eating for 2 days... and then some. Oh well. Confused

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:32 am

anyone wanna hear why I though the A/M intermix might not be 1 in the early days? Laughing Let's see if I can explain it as quickly as possible since I'm running out of time in the internet cafe! Laughing

Ok, so for those engineers out there, you know that when you have engine of some sort, both jet, rocket, and electric, basically the method of propulsion (for a newtonian kind of engine) is that you want to pour as much energy into the working fluid as possible (say, air and jet fuel for jet airplanes) and then expel it so that you can take advantage of all the energy stored in that fluid, right? Thinking of the intern combustion engine in cars is also a good way to think about it because everyone knows, even if they don't nkow what it does, that a turbocharger and supercharger both make cars go faster. Well, those accelerate the working fluid in the engine so that you get more potential energy when the spark plug sparks and ignites the fuel, so that you get a bigger "boom" and the piston is hit harder and pushes the crank shaft harder, thus, more power.

With the warp engines, the warp plasma isn't exactly a working fluid in the same Newtonian sense, however, if I correctly understand the technical schematics for how warp engines work, the warp plasma is basically an exteremely energized plasma that carries the energy from the A/M reaction to the warp nacelles and the warp coils which produces the warp field. Really, the only fictional physics here is 1. the dilithium crystal "controlling" the matter/antimatter reaction, and 2. the "warp coils" creating "warp particles" and in turn creating warp FIELDS. The electrified plasma part and the A/M reaction part are real physics, if extremely difficult engineering feats. So, you've got this energetic plasma that is intended to carry the energy to the warp coils. Well one of the biggest problems with modern day scramjet engines (engines they are trying to develop for single-stage-to-orbit spacecraft like the X-33 and VentureStar which were both cancelled -- spaceships that take off like an airplane and go into orbit and then land like the shuttle, instead of taking off vertically), one of the biggest problems is figuring out ways to develop "working fluids" that are capable of carrying more and more energy that they can use to propel the spacecraft into higher orbit, partially because the air become so thin at sub-orbital altitudes that you can't get much force out of it when you expel it through an engine manifold.

SO, since we know that warp coils require a tremendous amount of energy (only an A/M reaction or a microsingularity can provide enough) we know can suppose that it would make sense that an early design limitation is creating a working plasma, the warp plasma, capable of carrying enough energy to the warp nacelles. It's even concievable that while physicists had long known how to produce a matter/antimatter reaction (since even WE know HOW) given enough material of both substances, that they simply did not know how to design an electrified plasma capable of carrying all that energy. So if I were working on this problem, where the plasma could not absorb all of the energy being put out by the matter/antimatter reaction, the first thing that would come to MY mind for how to solve that, if the problem of creating a warp plasma capable of absorbing all that energy isn't going anywhere, would be to find a way to dull or dampen the amount of energy coming out of the reaction. One way to do that would be to push a greater-than-one-to-one ratio of the two reactants into the reaction chamber so that some portion of the remaining matter or antimatter actually uses up that extra energy that the plasma isn't capable of absorbing, by being destroyed. So basically if you had a 1.2:1 matter/antimatter ratio, then you'd have .2 amount of the matter or antimatter LEFT, after the reaction has completely annihilated both parts, and if that matter were swirling around in the chamber, it would likely be destroyed by some of the pure energy coming out of the reaction and just result in a bunch of subatomic particles and radiation.

In fact, this could also be used to explain, or to just claim if they've never said this, that early warp reactors were more dangerous and less safe than later ones. While this would be something you could just claim without reason because it make sense, if we take for fact what I've just described, then you would have, like I said, a bunch of extra subatomic particles and radiation being emitted as the extra matter or antimatter left over is being destroyed by the energy that is being bled off.

The one thing Starfleet engineers would no doubt NOT like about this idea is that it's pretty inefficient, because you are admittedly wasting a chunk of energy simply because you can't find a way to harness it all, but if it were a significant enough and difficult enough problem to solve, like they tried for 20 or 30 years and could never completely solve it, it is concievable that they would resort to such a solution if no others presented themselves.

It is also concievable that they HAVE improved the amount of energy they're able to absorb starting from the first warp ships to the Enterprise era, and continue to improve upon the efficiency in that regard up until the TNG era, where they presumably use a 1:1 ratio, given the question posed to Wesley Crusher during his Academy examination where he says "It's a trick question, the optimal ratio is just 1:1."

Since, maybe in the early days, they used like a 1.3:1 and then by Enterprise maybe they're using a 1.15:1 and by TOS era it's like 1.05:1 and then in TNG it's 1:1, something like that.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:53 am

WTF Shock Shock Surprised Surprised WTF

You know, you really are gifted and amazingly intelligent. And you have a great ability to explain things very patiently and calmly. I bet you'd make a wonderful teacher. Smile Not up your alley, though, huh?

I basically just sat back in awe of these conversations and debates. You guys are WAY over my head, but it is rather fascinating, I must say. Wow. Just wow. Smile

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:00 am

Actually i DO want to teach, it just seems like a good retirement plan for me. I want a little more exciting career while I'm still young, even though I may be drawn to teaching sooner than retirement. I do love it, I've tutored for things, both for money and just to my friends, so I enjoy having someone understand something for the first time because of me, immensely.

And actually I'd teach science, math, english or social sciences, and in fact I'm drawn to science and math because I like them and I'd enjoy talking about them and making people understand them because I find them sort of abstractly important in the sense that we will always have need for engineers and scientists, but I enjoy talking about and I would enjoy teaching social sciences a lot for different reasons, which is that I think it's so important for the everyday person to understand our government and just political structures in general.

Oh and thank you dearly for the compliment, Bether! Very Happy Hug
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

boushh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby boushh » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:05 am

Wow... you guys amaze me... seriously. I wish I was able to grasp complex things like jet engines. Smile

Return to “Conventions”